Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I know i saw a post on here about this, just wanted to know the outcome. My sr1911 is making these same marks, almost like the slide is hitting the case extra hard and putting a small indentation on the back of each case.
Any ideas ?

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the marks? Are you the original owner? Has it and does it always make these marks and is the gun modified in anyway?

The back of your shell casing only touches the magazine and breach face. If the breach face is clean there's nothing there to cause a mark except the firing pin and extractor, neither of which should ever come in contact the the base of the shell casing.

There is something called battering, which can happen with a weak or damaged recoil spring or too hot of a load, but I still can't think of a way for it to mark the base of the shell.

Try and get a good picture of the shell and your breach face and post it.

Edit: also include pics of the ejector because it does contact the base of the shell.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
picture of the small dents, also just checked the case that was fired at the factory, it has the same mark but not quite as noticeable
I just emailed Ruger, see what they say..

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
rschlos,

I think I may be the person you were recalling. I was getting the same dents as you but perhaps a little bit "heavier". A buddy with a lot of 1911 experience spotted the problem. The machining on the breach face appeared to be incomplete leaving a raised area along the right side of the face. I contacted Ruger, sent pics and they e-mailed a pre-paid return label. They replaced the slide. I expected that they would have simply completed the machining but that may be easier said than done depending upon how their mills are set up. It took about 3 weeks to get the gun back. They had to wait for a slide. The gun now functions perfectly and is a great shooter.

Good luck with yours.

Phil

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rschlos,

I think I may be the person you were recalling. I was getting the same dents as you but perhaps a little bit "heavier". A buddy with a lot of 1911 experience spotted the problem. The machining on the breach face appeared to be incomplete leaving a raised area along the right side of the face. I contacted Ruger, sent pics and they e-mailed a pre-paid return label. They replaced the slide. I expected that they would have simply completed the machining but that may be easier said than done depending upon how their mills are set up. It took about 3 weeks to get the gun back. They had to wait for a slide. The gun now functions perfectly and is a great shooter.

Good luck with yours.

Phil
Yes sir, just spotted it myself, though I dont know if i will send mine back for this, not really causing any issues, unless Ruger tells me different .

·
Registered
785 Posts
I believe I get similar case markings but never thought much of it. Next range visit I'll pay closer attention. My SR1911 has operated flawlessly so it doesn't appear to affect my performance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
rschlos,

That's it. Mine was on the other side and a bit more pronounced. It bent the rim enough to be a hinderance to reloading, which is an important consideration for me. Otherwise, it functioned fine.

Phil

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Yes sir, just spotted it myself, though I dont know if i will send mine back for this, not really causing any issues, unless Ruger tells me different .
Great! Looks like you found it! If the spent casing is flying out where you would expect it, I wouldn't worry about it. But, as I think was mentioned, you wouldn't want to reload those casings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any Ruger reps listening?

Just looked at my casings as well. I have the same pinched mark on back of all my casings. It appears as if during the machining there is a lip left opposite of the extractor. Is this by design or a flaw in machining? Doesn't seem to effect performance but definitely puts a dent in reloading. (No pun intended)

Ruger? Are you listening? I have every confidence there will be an answer one way or the other. Ruger has EXCEPTIONAL customer service.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Just looked at my casings as well. I have the same pinched mark on back of all my casings. It appears as if during the machining there is a lip left opposite of the extractor. Is this by design or a flaw in machining? Doesn't seem to effect performance but definitely puts a dent in reloading. (No pun intended)

Ruger? Are you listening? I have every confidence there will be an answer one way or the other. Ruger has EXCEPTIONAL customer service.
My SR1911 has a smooth breach face. Sounds like they may have a run of slides with this issue. I bought mine in June of '11.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just looked at my test fired round included with my pistol and it has the same smashed casing mark. Will attempt to contact Ruger and see what they say. The breach face definitely has a small lip opposite the extractor. I collect my brass for reloading and this is disappointing. I'm abut an hour suth of Prescott Az and may also stop by for a chat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The replacement slide has a smooth breach face. I suspect that there was machining error. My SR1911 was made in June. The thing that surprised me was that the empty case shipped with the gun showed the dent! I can't understand why they would ship the gun in that condition. The shipping and repair cost probably wiped out any profit Ruger made on the gun.

They did right by me and in a reasonable timeframe. Every other Ruger I've owned has been perfect.

Phil

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just heard back from Ruger, my new SR1911 is going back to Arizona for some repair, gonna mis her, but i know they will make things right, I will keep you posted

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
The replacement slide has a smooth breach face. I suspect that there was machining error. My SR1911 was made in June. The thing that surprised me was that the empty case shipped with the gun showed the dent! I can't understand why they would ship the gun in that condition. The shipping and repair cost probably wiped out any profit Ruger made on the gun.

They did right by me and in a reasonable timeframe. Every other Ruger I've owned has been perfect.

Phil
Ruger makes great guns, but their quality control is somewhat lacking. When I received my SR1911, the slide wasn't machined properly to give it enough clearance for the barrel/barrel link ass'y to allow it to come out. I finally forced it out, but I had to do a little file work to get it to go in and out freely like it should.

All my Rugers have required something, even if only extra cleaning to get the factory grit out of it. All, except my LC9. It was delivered perfectly... dripping in oil, but perfectly. However, I got rid of my LC9 because of the trigger. IMO, it's a bad design.

I can easily see how your defect would make it out of Ruger's doors. They just don't inspect them that well. Other new guns I've had include Beretta, Springfield Armory, Sig Sauer, Colt, FNH, Remington, Mossberg and Smith & Wesson. The only other gun I had a factory delivered problem with was my Mossberg 500. The problem was the elevator mechanism wasn't in place and it could not be racked. I figured it out myself and fixed it, but that was the first non-functional gun I've ever bought. It's worked fine ever since.

I'm really hoping that someone at Ruger is paying attention to this. Their quality control is giving their otherwise fine reputation a black eye.

BTW - I just started reloading (finally) and cleaned and inspected all my .45 brass. I don't have any with marks like yours.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
just heard back from Ruger, my new SR1911 is going back to Arizona for some repair, gonna mis her, but i know they will make things right, I will keep you posted
Good luck with it, I wonder how many more slipped through with that machining error? :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
As far as quality control from Ruger, I've never had any problems. I've been purchasing Ruger Firearms since 1986 and have never had any complaints. My SR1911 is the first Ruger I've had any issues with. Other than damaging shell casings there seems to be absolutely no impact on the functionality of the weapon. If I didn't have an interest in reloading it probably wouldn't even bother me. However, the machining defect still exists and I'm 100% positive Ruger will make it right. These are not custom or semi custom 1911's. They are mass produced 1911's and may have minor production flaws just like any other manufacturer. They difference is Ruger's customer support is second to no one.

Lets see if I can upload pics of the issue. These were taken with my Samsung Galaxy S3... So don't be too hard on me about quality of the pictures (actually they're pretty good if I don't say so myself) and don't give me any grief about the Glock cleaning mat. It's the only one I have!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Both my SR1911's do the same only not so pronounced. My Colt Gold Cup, Combat Government Model, Norinco 1911 and Springfield V10 do not have this problem. Looks like someone fell asleep at the Ruger CNC machine. Not sure if it's worth sending back and being without or taking the Dremel tool and correcting myself.:confused:

·
Registered
292 Posts
It's called a "J" cut.

A lot of 1911's don't have this area completely smooth with the breechface which will result in cases being marked.

These seem to be much more pronounced than those I've seen elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts