Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have SR1911, did some modifications suggested by Iowegan, and added a Wilson Combat Slide Release, Bullet Proof Blue, Extended. I am having problems with multiple types of magazines not having slide lock open after final shot ejection, as well as the slide closing after inserting empty magazine on CLOSED slide and manually racking the slide. Anybody else? Any ideas? It functions fine on the factory slide release lever (which is back in the gun), and I do see some wear on the area where the slide stop plunger contacts the slide stop. Thanks in advance.
Bob

·
Registered
155 Posts
Have it properly fitted.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
As sam colt said, most "drop in" parts are NOT drop in. All parts must be fitted for the gun to function properly. I switched out all my black parts with Ed Brown "drop in" SS parts. All of them had to be fitted.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Don't be too quick to blame the gun. My SR1911 does not like all brands of 1911 magazines and neither does any other 1911. Slide not locking open after the last shot varied from one make of magazine to the next and some magazines would simply not lock in place at all. In other words, some brand of mags work well, some work so-so and some not at all.

Overall, though, I've found my SR to beLESS fussy about magazines than the Remington R1 I had and the current Springfield Range Officer I also now own. Recently picked up a Kimber 8 round mag and it works great.

Might also add that the stock Ruger mags have worked in other brands of 1911s just fine, but not always vice-vearsa. Ruger mags have pretty stiff springs, but they work, well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
In reality, a gun that would take everyone's magazines has to by nature have wider tolerances, if that's what you like, but tighter tolerances are indicative of more stringent QC, so long as approved parts are employed. I'm not sure what the advantage is in replacing that which isn't broke. I've never used a slide stop/release that worked any slicker than the one Mr. JMB invented. It's good to go and worked fine for my old Remington Rand in Viet Nam and was right there for my thumb. I've never recalled wondering where it was. It is a very discreet part that's best out of the way, and the trend toward diving board dimensions is rather strange to me.

So far, I have not discovered a magazine that would not function in my SR or my buddy's, including a couple of cheap Gov't. knock-off I picked up at the local Army Navy store.

Please remember that it's not a quality issue with Ruger once you aren't using Ruger parts, even down to the magazines. Having said that, they certainly made their SR to standard Gov't. specs when it came to magazine compatibility, and if it ain't fittin' I wouldn't be giving the side eye to the gun. I'm always somewhat fascinated by all the talk about magazines. They have but one purpose; to reliably feed ammo to the chamber without stoppage for the sort of ammo you use. Fancy signature names and high price tags notwithstanding, they either work or they don't. No company has an obligation of any sort to make a gun that will conform to aftermarket trinkets that are out of their control.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Sounds like another problem with Ruger quality give them a call
It's not because it's a Ruger. It's because it's a 1911. :rolleyes:

Most 1911's have the potential to be good shooters, but unlike other brands of pistols with drop in performance parts, if they aren't fitted properly you won't get good results.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Put original slide release lever back in, problem fixed. Thanks for looking.
I had the same problem's more year's ago than I want to remember with a pre-Series 70 Colt Goverment Model 1911. I had it rebuilt and re-blued. Extended slide stop's caused me nothing but problem's. I ended up tossing a lot of mag's too, determined what brand's worked in my pistol, marked them and stuck with them.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I only use slide stops as a stop, never as a release so had no need to replace it for my use. Still has stock stop. Over ten thousand rounds and counting, has held back on every empty mag. Runs fine with 15 different mags, 6 different brands.

Eta - why title SR is problem when you put stock back in and solved problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts