Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hell NO ! Give me a break, cause it ain't no entry level gun if you are older and wiser like some of us and like some other threads may suggest. Ya see, I remember back when in the late 60's,70's, and even the 80's series what a 1911 entry level gun was really like and I'll tell ya what, with the features, listed below, that the stock SR1911 series guns come stock with, and of course it being stainless steel construction, like my CMD or the new alloy framed LW CMD... Back then, you'd have paid a small fortune to own one just in stainless steel let alone one with the current features. Just cause Ruger is able to provide a top shelf 1911 at such a very reasonable price tag doesn't qualify it as an entry level 1911 pistol by any means. However, it does qualify it as one hell of a deal imho.

Classic, original 1911 Series 70 design in Stainless steel with a Polished feed ramp.

Precision CNC controlled machining process results in a superior slide-to-frame fit and smooth slide travel.

The stainless steel barrel and bushing are produced from the same bar stock, on the same machine, for improved accuracy.

Positive barrel lock-up allows for superior accuracy out of the box.

Over sized ejection port and extended magazine release enhance competition performance.

Traditional design with hardwood grip panels and checkered back strap.

Lightweight, aluminum, skeletonized trigger features an adjustable over-travel stop and provides a very crisp, no creep, light trigger pull with a quick, positive reset.

Skeletonized hammer is lightweight and provides faster cycling.

Dovetailed, high-visibility 3-dot sight system features a Novak® LoMount
Carry, windage adjustable rear and standard front sights that combine optimal target acquisition and an ideal carry configuration.

Oversized beavertail grip safety provides positive function and reliability.

Extended thumb safety and slide stop lever for improved, positive manipulation.

Integral plunger tube for slide stop and thumb safety is not staked and will never come loose.

Standard recoil guide system and flat mainspring housing.

Visual inspection port allows for visual confirmation of a loaded or empty chamber.

Gorgeous diamond patterned checkered wood grips.

Thanks-I needed to get that off my chest... ;):cool::D

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
I had the opportunity to handle/shoot a Ruger 1911 commander yesterday. Very classy and solid pistol. I would recommend them to anyone looking for this type of gun. (I shoot a custom 1911 and I would buy a Ruger in a heart beat,)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I read the post title and it occurred to me to ask just what is an entry level gun and what would make it so?
I have been in Law Enforcement for over 35 years and have always carried stock(except for grips) S&W revolvers, until we switched to Glocks and it never occurred to me that they were entry level guns.
The term entry level doesn't offend me but I'm just not sure that is the correct term.
When the first 1911 was produced for the Army I don't think it was considered entry level. These days it would be considered bare bones but it would still get the job done.
I'm not trying to argumentative just trying to get a handle on the term entry level.
Now if I went down to my local gun shop and saw a SR1911 on the shelf as it comes from the factory I would call it their basic stock SR1911.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
You get a lot for your money with the SR 1911. In fact, I think if you look up "value" in the dictionary they have a picture of one next to the definition. :)

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read the post title and it occurred to me to ask just what is an entry level gun and what would make it so?
I have been in Law Enforcement for over 35 years and have always carried stock(except for grips) S&W revolvers, until we switched to Glocks and it never occurred to me that they were entry level guns.
The term entry level doesn't offend me but I'm just not sure that is the correct term.
When the first 1911 was produced for the Army I don't think it was considered entry level. These days it would be considered bare bones but it would still get the job done.
I'm not trying to argumentative just trying to get a handle on the term entry level.
Now if I went down to my local gun shop and saw a SR1911 on the shelf as it comes from the factory I would call it their basic stock SR1911.
If you read my thread, not the title in itself, I am very much pro sided to the SR1911. The use of the term entry level has been used by and on "other threads" not me and anything but. Such can be found on other various gun sites now and then such as the "1911 Forum", where others have used the term "entry level" here and there, somewhat to belittle the SR1911. You're correct in that it's a stock gun, but as my thread indicates, compared to what was stock 35 years ago, it wouldn't be called a basic or entry level 1911 back when. The point being in my thread that the term entry level should NOT be used. Imho, if anything, it's custom right out of the box if anything. Sorry if the thread title alone has brought any confusion to anyone, but my very positive SR1911 original actual post above hopefully makes it very clear.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Could not agree more.
It's an excellent 1911 at a typically affordable (and frankly amazing) Ruger price, for all the reasons listed above. It's got features galore, it's well-made, has a terrific trigger out of the box and it flat out works.
I'm not in the market right now for a 1911 - or any other gun - at the moment, having just bought a Ruger SR45. And I have a terrific Springfield Armory 1911 already. But if I ever get the bug again, there's no question I'll be adding the SR1911 to my collection.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Damn good value for money.....

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've had one for a couple of years and I love it. Added a Crimson Trace laser sight, some Wilson ETM mags and a glowing front sight sold by Ruger. Very reliable gun.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I have an SR 1911, and with the $350 or so of work and aftermarket parts it has, Id put it up against anything in the $2000 range.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
There's no such thing as an entry level pistol or "starter gun" as folks like to call it, only whatever you're willing to buy the first time around.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
You get a lot for your money with the SR 1911. In fact, I think if you look up "value" in the dictionary they have a picture of one next to the definition. :)
THIS! and I would add just about every weapon in Ruger's catalog. all work as well as or better than weapons with major price tags. I know, I have a lot of them sitting in my safe.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I will start off by saying I'm not a big fan of the 1911 pistol in general. HOWEVER, I felt the need to buy an SR1911, because I am a big fan of Ruger. My SR1911 has been perfectly reliable, but really hasn't seen a lot of rounds yet, maybe 400 or so. I became a BIG fan of my SR1911, when the first shot went dead center at 25 yards with several shooters watching. It will absolutely put every round right where the sights are aimed, over and over, all day long. Here are 2 pics, my very first shot, at 25 yards offhand, and the result of the first two magazines.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
IMHO, SR1911 is the best value out there in ANY caliber.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Been carrying 1911's since the early 70's. Purchased my 1st SR1911 3 years ago and in the interim, have purchased 2 additional SR variants.

I don't mind being called a beginner.

·
Premium Member
4,308 Posts
Lucky for us the 1911 market in general has a bunch of 'value' 1911s that are great guns (Ruger, Springfield, RIA, etc). Even a few of the Colts, Sigs and Kimbers can be had for less than $800. The SR1911 is classic Ruger: rugged, reliable, accurate, made in the USA and reasonably priced. What's not to like?

I wouldn't get too hung up on monikers. If someone wants to call it 'entry' level. That's fine by me. It's still a great gun no matter what they call it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I recently purchased a Ruger SR1911 Night Watchman. This a stainless steel SR1911 that TALO upgraded by polishing the internals, applying a black nitride finish and installing Novak 3 dot night sights.
I wanted to replace my Kimber Ultra compact II with a Crimson Trace laser. I looked at 3 1911s all with 4 6th 4.5 inch barrels. Going in, I was thinking about a Colt. The 3 guns I looked at was one Colt 1991 and 2 Rugers. The Colt was the most expensive. It had the worst finish of the e guns and thedr trigger needed some serious looking after. I choose the Night Watchman because it had a great trigger with no creep and broke chrisply at under 5 pounds. The black finish didn't hurt either.
As for entry level, don't let someone else's label influence you. My criteria for buying a gun is simple.
I ask myself the following questions:
Does it fit in my hands?
Do I like the way the trigger feels?
Does it make me smile when I shoot it?
If I answer yes to those questions, if just bought myself a new gun.

·
Registered
9,631 Posts
Hell NO ! Give me a break, cause it ain't no entry level gun if you are older and wiser like some of us and like some other threads may suggest. Ya see, I remember back when in the late 60's,70's, and even the 80's series what a 1911 entry level gun was really like and I'll tell ya what, with the features, listed below, that the stock SR1911 series guns come stock with, and of course it being stainless steel construction, like my CMD pictured, or the new alloy framed LW CMD... Back then, you'd have paid a small fortune to own one just in stainless steel let alone one with the current features. Just cause Ruger is able to provide a top shelf 1911 at such a very reasonable price tag doesn't qualify it as an entry level 1911 pistol by any means. However, it does qualify it as one hell of a deal imho.

Classic, original 1911 Series 70 design in Stainless steel with a Polished feed ramp.

Precision CNC controlled machining process results in a superior slide-to-frame fit and smooth slide travel.

The stainless steel barrel and bushing are produced from the same bar stock, on the same machine, for improved accuracy.

Positive barrel lock-up allows for superior accuracy out of the box.

Over sized ejection port and extended magazine release enhance competition performance.

Traditional design with hardwood grip panels and checkered back strap.

Lightweight, aluminum, skeletonized trigger features an adjustable over-travel stop and provides a very crisp, no creep, light trigger pull with a quick, positive reset.

Skeletonized hammer is lightweight and provides faster cycling.

Dovetailed, high-visibility 3-dot sight system features a Novak® LoMount
Carry, windage adjustable rear and standard front sights that combine optimal target acquisition and an ideal carry configuration.

Oversized beavertail grip safety provides positive function and reliability.

Extended thumb safety and slide stop lever for improved, positive manipulation.

Integral plunger tube for slide stop and thumb safety is not staked and will never come loose.

Standard recoil guide system and flat mainspring housing.

Visual inspection port allows for visual confirmation of a loaded or empty chamber.

Gorgeous diamond patterned checkered wood grips.

Thanks-I needed to get that off my chest... ;):cool::D

RUGER SR1911 CMD-BORN AND MADE IN THE GOOD OL' U.S.A.
I get ridiculed at the office because I own a Ruger SR1911 ... they say it ain't a real 1911 ... because this is a family orientated forum I can't say exactly what I tell them but this is pretty damn close ... kiss my @#$ you goat $%&^$%$ ... I love my Ruger SR1911 and would match it up angainst anyone who says it ain't a real 1911 ...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I get ridiculed at the office because I own a Ruger SR1911 ... they say it ain't a real 1911 ... because this is a family orientated forum I can't say exactly what I tell them but this is pretty damn close ... kiss my @#$ you goat $%&^$%$ ... I love my Ruger SR1911 and would match it up angainst anyone who says it ain't a real 1911 ...
Ironically, as I understand it [and I certainly ain't no expert] the SR1911 is much closer to the original 1911 design being a "Series 70" then many of the modern 1911's which are "Series 80". What this means and what the difference(s) are, I have no idea - but I do know the SR1911 is AWESOME!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts