Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I broke down my SR1911 and did a few things to it.

I first cut about 1 1/2 loops off the mainspring and reinstalled after 30 minutes of looking for the keeper pin that took to flight when it came out of the housing. I also polished the hole and the sides of the pin to butter smooth.

Used 320 paper and a pencil to remove any marks from the ramp and polished with Flitz to a slick finish (The gun cycled fine before so I think I did this just to say I did it. It looks purdy anyway.)

Took a jeweler's file and removed the sharp edges from, disconnector, trigger bow, and edges of hammer.

Then I removed any scuff marks from the side of the hammer with 320 wet or dry laying on a flat surface. Followed that with using Flitz to polish the sides of the hammer and sear surfaces to mirror.

Finished polishing all of the contact points of the disconnector, the contact points of the three-fingered spring, the entire trigger bow surface and edges, the disconnector groove in the slide, and any other surfaces that slid against each other.

I adjusted the center finger of the spring for proper trigger tension and the left finger for proper sear tension. Came to the conclusion that I am going to replace the three-finger with a four finger so I can have a separate spring just for the disconnector. When I got the spring adjusted for what I wanted on the trigger, the disconnector tension was too light. I had to split the difference for safety's sake.

Prior to this work, my trigger was crisp, and I thought (based on my milk jug scale) it pulled around 4 - 4 1/2 lbs. When I checked it with a real scale it was actually pulling 5 lbs 12 oz.! I was very imppressed with the SR1911 before, but this made things feel incredible. It now pulls 3 lbs 12 oz and is butter smooth. No creep, no takeup. I have only dry fired it, but will try to go to range tonight.

I am about as far from being a gunsmith as anyone can be, but I have been doing these types of clean-ups/polish to all of my guns and without exception, have been very impressed each time.:D A rewarding 3 hours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you touch the sear at all? I have felt some ridges on the top of the sear and wondered if that was normal for the SR1911?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts