Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like a few of you are running the Kimber 22 conversion on your SR1911's.

Did it take any alteration to make it run?

Does it run well with any of the copper washed bulk ammo's?

Thanks!
Mo

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,407 Posts
justsaymo, A couple years ago I bought a Kimber 22 conversion kit for my Kimber Classic Target model. When I bought my Ruger SR1911, I tried the Kimber kit on it .... funny thing, it fit and functioned better on the Ruger (no alterations at all) than it did on the Kimber. No doubt, there are slight manufacturing differences from one frame to the next so the next person may have the opposite results.

I found accuracy was best in the Kimber kit with CCI Mini-Mags however it cycles fine and is almost as accurate with Federal bulk pack ammo.

The only thing I don't like about the Kimber kit is ... the slide is not designed to lock back after the last round is fired. My Colt Ace conversion kit does lock back. On the plus side ... I found the Kimber magazine followers can be modified so the magazine will hold 12 rounds. Here's a photo of my Ruger SR 1911 frame with the Kimber kit installed. It even looks decent.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I've looked at these from time to time but can't get over the fact that they are as expensive if not more than another whole gun in some cases.

I understand the concept of getting trigger time on the same gun as your carry gun without breaking the bank in ammo. My friend has one for his P226 for this reason.

Good luck if you get one. I'm sure it would be fun.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MANY THANKS Iowegan! I think I'm going to order one. Looks great on the Ruger!

Do your Colt Ace Magazines work with the Kimber?

AndyBothel: I'm having the same debate. I think I can get a 22/45 for the same or less $. Of course it'd need holster(s).

The SR1911 has rekindled my interest in 1911's. It really is a fun gun to shoot. I like it a lot better than my M&P 45s and the SR1911 will digest almost anything the M&P's will and does it more accurately and has a much nicer trigger. Not to mention how much better looking a 1911 is than a plastic pistol. M&P is very practical, lighter and reliable though...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I love my .22 conversion. It functions much better on my Kimber CDP II ( Commander size frame) than my Kimber Match Target ( full size government frame). You'll want to fire only full power rounds, plated hi -velocity. Even these barely have enough power to work the slide. Mine functions 100% with Mini-Mags and W-W Super X, doesn't work well at all with Federal's, but that's just mine. Federals might work o.k. in other's conversions. I clean the unit every 200 or 300 rounds and keep some good lube on the frame rails, this seems to help cycling. I bought some of Ceiner's aluminum magazines when Brownells still had them, one of them is a 15 round, the others are 10 round. I like them better than the Kimber plastic mags, but the plastic ones work good. As to the unit costing as much as some pistols, you are getting a stainless match barrel and a good pair of adjustable sights ( Bo-mar maybe? ) so I don't think $300 is too out of line. Mine has certainly paid for itself over 10 years of ammo savings.

·
16,407 Posts
justsaymo, I think I paid $325 for my Kimber conversion kit. Yes, you can buy a "stand alone" pistol for about the same price. I guess the real issue is ... what do you intend to do with the conversion kit? If you are just plinking, most any 22 pistol will do. If you want to simulate the function and feel of a 1911 while saving $$$ on ammo, then a conversion kit might be just the ticket.

I've owned a Colt Ace conversion kit since the 70s and have it mounted on a dedicated 1911 frame. It is a steel slide with a strange 2-piece barrel but it shoots great. The magazines for the Colt and Kimber units are NOT compatible. That's because the underside of the slides are shaped different on the two units. Colt Ace magazines will not insert far enough to latch in place when using the Kimber slide. Kimber magazines will latch in place when using the Colt Ace slide but they won't feed.

After using both conversion kits, I found the Colt Ace was more accurate but the Kimber seemed to function better. After about 50 rounds, the Colt Ace 2-piece barrel gets so cruddy it won't cycle. After a quick cleaning you're back in business. The Kimber kit has a one piece barrel and seems to cycle just fine up to at least 100 rounds, which is the most I've fired in a single session. My primary issue with the Kimber .... the slide was not designed to lock back after the last round fires. The Colt magazine followers have a lip that catches the slide lock ... Kimbers don't. The Kimber slide will lock back manually. I much prefer the steel Colt Ace magazines to the polymer Kimber mags.

So far, I've only tried two types of ammo in my Kimber kit ... CCI Mini-Mags and Federal bulk packs. Both functioned quite well but the CCIs were more accurate.

Both the Kimber and Colt conversion kits are "Target" models and like all target 1911s with adjustable sights, the front sight is quite high. This makes the conversion kit NOT HOLSTER FRIENDLY. Neither of my 22 kits will fit my normal 1911 holsters (I have several) due to the high front sight. So before you buy a holster, make sure you test it with the conversion kit installed.

Here's a photo of my Colt Ace conversion kit on its dedicated frame:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Iowegan!

bummer about the Colt Mags. I have two. My Colt conversion works well on my USGI 1911A1 but not the Ruger.

I ordered the Kimber conversion from Midway. Some of the reviews say the GSG magazines work with the Kimber unit and I think they said will lock the slide back. A bit spendy $35 but if they work, it might be worth it.

I'm hoping my holsters will work with the Kimber conversion. The Ruger has a pretty tall front too and I've noticed some shredded leather up front after drawing.

Like you say getting reps with the 1911 inexpensively is a nice bonus.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok, I just got a Kimber 22 kit for my SR 1911 CMD. It fits the gun but when racking the slide, it seems to hit the part that protrudes up from the frame and keeps it from operating smoothly. It's like hitting a speed bump. Pushing down on this protruding part, it looks to be hitting a leaf spring inside the grip. Is this spring too heavy for the Kimber slide to operate properly? If anyone has experienced this problem or has a suggestion on fixing it, I'm all ears. I haven't shot it yet. I broke a couple ribs the day before I received it. Thanks for any and all input. Al

·
16,407 Posts
Alycat, The part that protrudes up from the frame is the "disconnector". This part disconnects the trigger from the sear after a round is fired. If it doesn't work properly, the gun could go full auto or it could turn into a single shot. Yes, it will feel like a "speed bump" when you manually operate the slide but when you live fire .... you won't even notice it.

·
One Star
9,844 Posts
justsaymo, A couple years ago I bought a Kimber 22 conversion kit for my Kimber Classic Target model. When I bought my Ruger SR1911, I tried the Kimber kit on it .... funny thing, it fit and functioned better on the Ruger (no alterations at all) than it did on the Kimber. No doubt, there are slight manufacturing differences from one frame to the next so the next person may have the opposite results.

I found accuracy was best in the Kimber kit with CCI Mini-Mags however it cycles fine and is almost as accurate with Federal bulk pack ammo.

The only thing I don't like about the Kimber kit is ... the slide is not designed to lock back after the last round is fired. My Colt Ace conversion kit does lock back. On the plus side ... I found the Kimber magazine followers can be modified so the magazine will hold 12 rounds. Here's a photo of my Ruger SR 1911 frame with the Kimber kit installed. It even looks decent.

It's a beauty for sure!

·
One Star
9,844 Posts
justsaymo, I think I paid $325 for my Kimber conversion kit. Yes, you can buy a "stand alone" pistol for about the same price. I guess the real issue is ... what do you intend to do with the conversion kit? If you are just plinking, most any 22 pistol will do. If you want to simulate the function and feel of a 1911 while saving $$$ on ammo, then a conversion kit might be just the ticket.

I've owned a Colt Ace conversion kit since the 70s and have it mounted on a dedicated 1911 frame. It is a steel slide with a strange 2-piece barrel but it shoots great. The magazines for the Colt and Kimber units are NOT compatible. That's because the underside of the slides are shaped different on the two units. Colt Ace magazines will not insert far enough to latch in place when using the Kimber slide. Kimber magazines will latch in place when using the Colt Ace slide but they won't feed.

After using both conversion kits, I found the Colt Ace was more accurate but the Kimber seemed to function better. After about 50 rounds, the Colt Ace 2-piece barrel gets so cruddy it won't cycle. After a quick cleaning you're back in business. The Kimber kit has a one piece barrel and seems to cycle just fine up to at least 100 rounds, which is the most I've fired in a single session. My primary issue with the Kimber .... the slide was not designed to lock back after the last round fires. The Colt magazine followers have a lip that catches the slide lock ... Kimbers don't. The Kimber slide will lock back manually. I much prefer the steel Colt Ace magazines to the polymer Kimber mags.

So far, I've only tried two types of ammo in my Kimber kit ... CCI Mini-Mags and Federal bulk packs. Both functioned quite well but the CCIs were more accurate.

Both the Kimber and Colt conversion kits are "Target" models and like all target 1911s with adjustable sights, the front sight is quite high. This makes the conversion kit NOT HOLSTER FRIENDLY. Neither of my 22 kits will fit my normal 1911 holsters (I have several) due to the high front sight. So before you buy a holster, make sure you test it with the conversion kit installed.

Here's a photo of my Colt Ace conversion kit on its dedicated frame:
That is a very nice looking Colt.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
IOWEGAN, is that Colt Ace two-piece barrel the famous "floating chamber" design I've read about in the past?

I seem to recall its purpose was to somehow provide adequate impetus to operate the slide properly.

Or am I thinking of something else?

·
16,407 Posts
Ale-8(1), The famous "two piece barrel" ... better known as a "floating chamber" was designed by none other than David Williams (AKA "Carbine Williams"). The purpose of the design was to form a piston that could operate a full weight steel slide with just a 22 LR cartridge. This makes the weight of the "Ace" and a standard 1911 virtually identical yet maintain all the 1911 features. The only exception was the magazine held 10 rounds versus 7 for a 1911. Other 22 conversion kit brands for 1911s use a conventional barrel and a much lighter aluminum alloy slide.

The piston concept in the Ace is much like the piston used in a 30 Carbine, which was also designed by Carbine Williams. As we all know, 22 LR ammo is notorious for burning dirty. That's because 22s use very slow burning powder .... much like H-110 and as such, chamber pressure is kept under 24k psi so combustion is grim. Pistons don't work well when they get corrupted with powder residue so what I learned was to field strip and clean the barrel every 40 rounds. Depending on the ammo used, you can fire as much as 50 rounds before you start getting failures to eject (stove pipes) so just to be safe, I stop at 40 rounds.

Here's a fun read about David Marshall Williams that details his colorful life and his involvement with the Colt Ace: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Marshall_Williams

1 - 14 of 14 Posts