Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, bear with me. It's been close to 6 months since I last shot my Ruger SR1911 5" .45ACP. During the shoot, I expereinced no problems whatsoever with FTF, loading, edjecting, getting hung up, etc. Recently, I purchased some new Wilson Combat magazines and upon racking the slide to load ammo in the chamber, the slide gets stuck. This isn't happening without the magazine in the pistol. I have dis and reassembled the pistol numerious times with no positive results. Any feedback as to how I can correct this problem would be appreciated.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Have you considered the mags are not fitting just right? I use Wilson Combat mags without problem. Your 1911 might not like them. Try ordering some Ruger original equipment mags from Midway. They might cost a bit more but I'll bet they work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you considered the mags are not fitting just right? I use Wilson Combat mags without problem. Your 1911 might not like them. Try ordering some Ruger original equipment mags from Midway. They might cost a bit more but I'll bet they work.
I was recently shopping for mags and didn't see any Ruger OE mags at Midway. I did however find them the cheapest at Grab a gun. I have ordered from them before and got good service.

Handgun Magazines | Firearm Magazines | Grab a Gun Online Gun Store

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Compare the Wilsons to the Rugers. Do you see any difference?

Try only loading 6 in the Wilson and see what happens.

I have a Wilson and it seems to work fine.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I don't think I have tried my Wilson mag in live fire yet and forget if I did any hand cycling but perhaps I should check it.

I did have one factory mag that had a small nub on the edge of the follower which was not present on any other follower or photo I could find which was causing the follower to bind a bit so I filed it off and have had no issues.
I recently got SR1911CMD to complement my full size and one of the magazines which came with that was dragging quite a bit in the magwell and I had to squeeze the front end of it about a thousandth of an inch or so to make it slide in and out as readily as all the others.

The point being that maybe there is a defect with the mag in question. Or it may have been mangled during shipping. Or may have a bad follower or spring or even the wrong gap on the lips such that they are interfering with the slide or not presenting the top round properly.

Or even if everything is lined up correctly, if it's too tight the slide might stop on the round rather than pushing it.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Try a different magazine!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've bought a generic flush 7 and 2 wilson 8 rounds, both of which get caught on the slide when racking it. With the clips out of the bay, the probelm doesnt occur. Should I call Ruger? I havnt seen this problem on any forum.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Sounds like they are a little to long, there should be a witness mark on them ,in a spot that is not on the stock magazine ( or any magazine that works)
If you find that you should be able to clearance it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think its the clip as they are brand new and both types are different. Could it be associated with how the gun is assembled? WOuld you reccommend I send it back to Ruger or take it to a local gun shop or gun smith?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Are you saying it works with ruger mags ?
If yes what do you think ruger is going to say ?

If ruger mags are a problem also, then I would let ruger know.

OR-- You could mark the top sides of the feed lips with some black marker pen.
Insert the empty mag in the gun and hit the slide release while holding the slide so it does not slam home on an empty chamber.
Work the slide back and forth and then check and see at what place the mag is rubbing.

Or you could try not using the slide release and power stroke the slide.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
If it has this problem with the Ruger mags, that's the ground truth. If you call Ruger and it works with THEIR mags and not with Brand X they'll just rightly tell you it's Brand X mags fault, Have a nice day.

I would NOT take it to a smith since you'll just have to pay for what would be (see above) a Ruger fault.

If it fails with the Ruger mags, return it to Ruger. Pretty cut and dry.

·
Registered
74 Posts
To be honest, I don't think I ever even tried the Ruger mags that came with mine. I ordered MecGar mags for it when before I even got it and ran only those with it with no issue. 1911's live and die by their magazines, either get quality mags or deal with the issues that are going to crop up.

·
Registered
224 Posts
To be honest, I don't think I ever even tried the Ruger mags that came with mine. I ordered MecGar mags for it when before I even got it and ran only those with it with no issue. 1911's live and die by their magazines, either get quality mags or deal with the issues that are going to crop up.

Are you saying the Wilson mags are not quality mags? I don't think I would agree with that.
I have had a problem with one Wilson mag. I exchanged it and the new works great. There can be lemon products in any part, by any manufacturer.

Ron

·
Registered
74 Posts
Are you saying the Wilson mags are not quality mags? I don't think I would agree with that.
I have had a problem with one Wilson mag. I exchanged it and the new works great. There can be lemon products in any part, by any manufacturer.

Ron
Wilson or Mec Gar are my choices...

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've heard that Wilson makes quality Mags. but, I've never tried them because I'm hooked on 7rnd. stainless mags. from Springfield Armory, that I picked up from Midway. I've never had a FTF,FTE, or a failure to lock the slide on an empty mag. At less than half the price I figure I can't go wrong and I can always replace the followers and springs If I have problems down the road, as the mag bodies are really nice and being stainless should last a long time. BTW, besides the S.A.s I've run MecGars and S&W along with the Ruger mags, with zero problems in my SR1911 Govt and CMD. A final thought is that sometimes the feed lips on a magazine can be just a tad off and really screw up the functioning. They tend to sometimes get bent during packaging or shipping. All that 's needed is to compare them to mags that function properly and adjust them yourself. Unfortunately, sometimes, they're just bad mags. That's why I always buy a couple of bargain price mags and then stock up on them if they function OK. It really hurts when you've bought a $40 piece of scrap metal. It doesn't hurt as much when it only cost $12 or $15

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts