Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
what are the blue and green grips in the top picture? they look interesting.

Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
Premium Member
13,938 Posts
Yeow............you just started another bad habit here!

Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what are the blue and green grips in the top picture? they look interesting.

I had to look them up. I don't trust my memory as much these days.

Both sets of those grips are stabilized Curly Maple made by Bob Adkinson of Cherokee Hills Exotic Grips in Guntersville, AL

He is a true artist and can do ANYTHING you want in wood. I only have three pair of his grips, but wish I had more.

Z

·
Registered
410 Posts
OP: Interesting comparison! I never played much with dolls, and definitely didn't have "outfits" for them, but I'm a few decades pre-Barbie era. I don't dress up my guns either, but I DO play with them regularly!

I admire some of the gorgeous works of art grip sets that you all share on the forums though!

The only time I would spend money for new grips would be if I found a screaming deal on a gun I really wanted and it had truly ugly grips. I tried to buy one of those a couple weeks ago but missed the last one in stock by 10 minutes. Oh well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP: Interesting comparison! I never played much with dolls, and definitely didn't have "outfits" for them, but I'm a few decades pre-Barbie era. I don't dress up my guns either, but I DO play with them regularly!

I admire some of the gorgeous works of art grip sets that you all share on the forums though!

The only time I would spend money for new grips would be if I found a screaming deal on a gun I really wanted and it had truly ugly grips. I tried to buy one of those a couple weeks ago but missed the last one in stock by 10 minutes. Oh well.

My preference in grips lately has been full checkered wood grips like you see in my second photo above.

I tend not to carry guns with those grips to prevent damage to the points of the checkering. I call those wood grips above my "BBQ grips."

On guns to be carried or making robust range trips, I'll put a set of VZ's or G10's on them, or sometimes a set of Pachmayr's. Those I call my "Working Grips."

My favorite "working grip" are these . . . .

Of course, for really special occasions, I have a few sets of "Black Tie Grips" as well.

Z

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just found a really interesting pair of grips in my "spare grips" drawer. If I had a gun for every set of grips I own . . . . . .

Sheesh . . . .

Z

·
Registered
410 Posts
Too cool. Really. I can't imagine how long it might have taken you to find those coins.....or are they reproductions?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Too cool. Really. I can't imagine how long it might have taken you to find those coins.....or are they reproductions?

The gold quarter eagles are tribute coins. They are German silver planchette, 24 karat gold plated. They are faithful reproductions with a small COPY stamped on the back.

The quarters are 100% real US currency, as are the dimes below.

Z

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nice lookin pieces! I have a early model SR1911 Commander, NIB, & the value keeps goin up. I always wanted a Colt, but the prices are crazy, & I know Ruger makes top notch stuff. SR 1911'S are beautiful pistols.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts