Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot just shy of a brick of Remington Golden Bullets through my SR22 today and never had a problem of any kind. I was also surprised by how clean this ammo was. It was very easy to get the gun clean, there was little buildup in the barrel. I have found my go to bulk ammo. :)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
hmm

I shot just shy of a brick of Remington Golden Bullets through my SR22 today and never had a problem of any kind. I was also surprised by how clean this ammo was. It was very easy to get the gun clean, there was little buildup in the barrel. I have found my go to bulk ammo. :)
there have been folks who don't like it - I have used about 700 rounds so far - and have had several failure to fire - I had one failure to feed out of 150 rounds the other day but that *might* have been a federal round that snuck in there.

I have noticed that it is pretty clean although I think the Winchester 555 bulk white box I used was a tad cleaner and not a single failure to feed or fire or eject with the Winchester.

Federal value pack I had numerous failure to feed and very dirty.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
There has been a "new and improved" version of Golden Bullets out for a little while. I'm not sure bow good or bad they were previously, but they had gotten a generally bad reputation. Don't know what, if anything, is better about the new version.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I'm glad you are having a better experience with those Golden Bullets than I had.

The two boxes I bought were terrible. Mis-shaped cases, loose bullets that wobble in the case, failures to fire, impossible to eject spent cases, and incredibly dirty.
Perhaps that Remington plant hit a new low in quality control and finally had to do something about it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Most people really bag on the Golden Bullet, but my SR22P has shot thousands of them reliably. I've only had a couple fail to fires in all I've shot. All of them have cycled correctly too, while occasionally other bulk ammo will not completely run the slide far enough to pick up the next round. Winchester bulk is especially bad about this.

In fact my brother who got a Sig Mosquito and I shot together one day and he brought over a couple bulk Winchester 555 packs. I'm not sure if he got through an entire magazine without some kind of failure. My Ruger shot them ok most of the time, but even it had the occasional feeding issue I described before. I let him use my G.B. and guess what. He wasn't ready to throw his Sig in the pond anymore. Since then G.B. is the only bulk he uses too.

Of course if I want to insure absolute reliability, I use CCI Mini-Mags or Velocitors - they certainly aren't as inexpensive though. I'll be glad when the Golden Bullets are back in stock in my area.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Same experience as Jaxrider. Absolute junk. I hope they have fixed the problem, but I think they have lost a lot of customers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have hAd the same experience as the op..My SR22 loves the Rem Golden Bullets..They do say "New and Improved" on the box..I bought the 250 bulk pack at Wally World..

·
Registered
80 Posts
I picked some up at Bass Pro the other day. I just hope that the SR22 likes them better than the SR9 liked Remington's UMC 9mm rounds.

·
Registered
490 Posts
just put 350 or so thru my SR22p and no issues at all, worked great in fact.

I did notice that all the bullets are loose in the casing. Enough that you can spin them which is odd. Like I said, not issues at all with them though.

They were dirty thought but not in the gun...they rubbed that gold crap off like crazy on my fingers. You could almost write with one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought two boxes before I read all the bad reviews then wished I hadn't. I thought about trying to take them back but decided to try them anyway and I'm glad I did. I did notice that the bullets spin in the cases but they shot flawlessly. Also the boxes don't have the New and Improved label. I hope the improved bullets shoot as well. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
What are ya'll paying for them these day...the 525 box that is. I bought them for $18.95 which I felt good about :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was finally able to get some more GB for my SR22P this morning. I read on rimfire central that some of them recently got some @ Dick's. Sure enough they had some. The staff didn't know for how long... They were standard priced $21.99 - I usually try to get them there when they go on sale, but given the current situation I wasn't going to quibble. Especially if I didn't think I was being gouged. Bought 3 boxes so others could get some too. Hopefully the next person will be considerate too. These should let me plink for a quite a while if I don't go overboard.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I have put about 1000 rounds of these through my SR22 - about $19 per box after rebate at Gander Mountain. I also noticed very clean - but had maybe 3 failure to fire - clear indent on the rim but no bang - two of them I rotated and they fired - one bounced across the firing line and I thought it best to just leave it there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts