Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been breaking in my new SR22 with CCI Mini Mags and was thinking about switching up what I'm feeding it. Has anyone used the Winchester Super-X High Velocity ammo? I was going to buy 500 rounds, but don't want to get that many if there are issues with it and the SR22.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure about the Super-X but I bought a box of 1000 rounds of Winchester M-22 40 grain black copper plated round nose because that was all that was left on the shelf at the sporting goods store. 50 of them went through the new SR22 I bought without incident.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It works about 96% of the time in my SR22, about 60% of the time in my Bersa T22. I'm sticking with CCI Mini-Mags for both from now on.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
also posted in other threads

I put a box of Winchester bulk pack - Winchester 22LR Hollow Point Rounds, 555pk: Hunting : Walmart.com - or white box - or whatever the correct short hand is for that ammo - through my SR22 without a single issue.

I have also put a box of Federal value pack - Federal Ammunition 22LR 36gr Copper Plated, 550ct: Hunting : Walmart.com - through the SR22 and have had numerous failure to feed - noted a "soft" recoil immediately preceding each failure to feed.

I have also run about a box of Remington Golden Bullet - Remington .22 Long Rifle Rimfire Ammunition - Gander Mountain - and had about 3 failure to fire (hoping that is not a trend as I got a bunch of it on sale).

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm running Federal bulk in all 6 of my ruger rimfires with not problems at all. M22's are nice but hard to find around here.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I put a box of Winchester bulk pack - Winchester 22LR Hollow Point Rounds, 555pk: Hunting : Walmart.com - or white box - or whatever the correct short hand is for that ammo - through my SR22 without a single issue.

I have also put a box of Federal value pack - Federal Ammunition 22LR 36gr Copper Plated, 550ct: Hunting : Walmart.com - through the SR22 and have had numerous failure to feed - noted a "soft" recoil immediately preceding each failure to feed.

I have also run about a box of Remington Golden Bullet - Remington .22 Long Rifle Rimfire Ammunition - Gander Mountain - and had about 3 failure to fire (hoping that is not a trend as I got a bunch of it on sale).
All of those work in my SR22.

The goldens have about a 10% FTFire rate in all my 22's

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have ran several different mags full of different .22LR ammo:

Winchester Super Speed RN and HP: work well, HV copper washed bullets just work
Winchester Xpert value bulk pack 500 - works well with no FTL (fail to load/chamber)
Federal Bulk 36gr HP (Walmart 550 packs) copper washed - another good choice
Federal Lightning / 711b - 40g lead RN will FTL a few times each mag in my gun
Federal 36gr LRN from old stock load #730 - these FTL at least 40% of the time
Federal American Eagle 38gn copper washed hp - VERY accurate and cycle great

of course anything CCI, including LRN blazer works very well. Their quality is great IMO.

And of course, I refuse to waste any money on Remington rimfire ammo since it's suckiness has been known for at least a decade or more.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Winchester Super-X is coming tomorrow. I hope to get to the range withing the next week to try them out...

·
Registered
358 Posts

Every gun has a different personality... My SR22P of course eats CCI like most pistols as if it was candy. But with bulk ammo it likes Remington best, has a few FTLoads with Federal and Winchester is the least reliable. If possible, try a small quantity before committing to hundreds, if not thousands of rounds.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the Winchester Super-X High Velocity arrived yesterday and I took 50 rounds to the range today and fed it to my SR22. There were no feed failures but I did have 1 fail to fire. I re-cocked and the round fired with the second try.
A light/weak primer? I also shot 50 rounds each of CCI mini-mags and Aguila high velocity HPs. The Winchesters weren't as accurate as the CCIs and the Aguilas. The Aguila had 1 fail to fire , but it went bang on the second try too. I'm just happy that I had no feed failures this time. Maybe after 400 rounds, my SR22 is finally broken in? I hope so because I love this gun!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I recently ran about 400 rounds of the Federal red box through my Mark III 22/45. Six rounds failed to eject and had a mushroomed shape to the spent catridge. I sent the spent cartridges and 100 unfired rounds to Federal at their request. Still awaiting their response, likely to hear somehting in the next week or so.

Right now I run only MiniMags - they have given me the best results.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Range trip: Just got back from the range and ran 100 rounds of the Winchester Super-X High Velocity ammo through my SR22. Had 5 of them fail to fire. All of them did fire after the second or third strike. Then I used 50 rounds of mini-mags with no issues. Guess I'm having the same experience with the Winchester Super-X High Velocity ammo as Terry G. is. About a 5% or so failure rate.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another range trip with multiple ammo types. It's official... my SR22 hates Winchester Super-X High Velocity 40gr. I tried 40 rounds and had 4 fail to feeds and 1 fail to to fire. It was flawless with CC mini-mag 36gr. HP bulk and, I wouldn't have though't it, but flawless too with Remington Golden 36gr. HP bulk.
It looks like my SR22 like hollow points better than round nose. Looking back at my range logs, it had issues even with CCI mini-mag round nose.

Has anyone else found that their SR22 does better with HPs rather than round nose?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have shot both CCI Minimag 40gr CPRN and 36gr CPHP and it does equally well with either. I have also shot Remington 36gr HP bulk and Federal 36gr CPHP bulk and it shoots those just fine. Sad to say, but with the ammo shortage I haven't found any other round nose .22 cartridges to try besides the CCI. I guess I'll have to make a special effort to obtain some and see how they do.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The only brick of ammo I have been able to buy locally was a box of Winchester Super X Small Game 37 grain HP's. My SR22 is having fits with them.

Failure to feed on mutiple rounds within a single magazine. Occassional failure to extracts as well. These are 1280fps loads so not sure what the issue is. Yesterday I was shooting at an indoor range and I put only 5 in a magazine because I didn't want to have manually feed so many. The entire group fired flawlessly. Tried it again with the same results, tried it a third time and the results were not as kind. I still have 400 rounds so I am going to work through them one shot at a time if i have to.....but I am not even looking at Winchester's of any kind until I can buy some 50 packs to see what my pistol likes.

Almost 700 rounds of various kinds of Remington's and a few magazines of CCI's and only 1 shot that required a second strike to fire. Just wish the Winchester's would work as well.

This pistol is almost too much fun to shoot!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my SR22 a week ago. It is accurate with every brand of cheap 22LR ammo that I have tried so far, including Federal Lightning, Remington Thunderbolt and Remington 36 grain Golden Bullet, but it does not like the hot Winchester 22 LR Super Speed 40 grain round nose ammo (1300 fps) that worked so well in my Mark III 22/45. I suspect the weight of the bullet has more to do with reliability than whether or not it is hollow-point. Most hollow-points are less than 40 grains.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ive only used Winchester SX once, some friends brought for me on a on a range day. Only put 100 rounds of it thru, but no issues to speak of.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Winchester Super X is the only brand of .22LR that I have ever used that I just flat out don't like. It jammed in my Marlin 60, it doesn't feed reliably in my Henry lever gun. It works fine in my 10/22, but it gums it up so bad that I have to give it a thorough cleaning after firing just a few rounds. That's the worst part. Where does that gummy stuff that it leaves come from? CCI Mini-Mags burn clean. Super X is usually priced almost as high as MM's, but it makes a really big mess in everything I shoot it in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts