Ruger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SR22 functions really well. I get very few FTF's or FTE's with many different types of ammo, including cheap bulk stuff and some 50 year old ammo that belonged to my father-in-law.

The issue that I am having is it occasionally ejects straight up and back and the casing lands on the top of my head. It doesn't make any difference what type of ammo I a using. I am gripping it firmly and it is oriented straight up and down. I am concerned that I am going to get burned or that it will drop in behind my glasses or down my shirt.

Any ideas why it is doing this and how to correct it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My SR22 ejects them to the right and into the next county. I've never had it do what you have described (watch it will the next time I shoot it!). I really don't have any idea why it would but you could try giving Ruger a call and explaining your situation to them. Hope you get it figured out.

Take care,
Bob

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your SR22 eject horizontally to the right or does it eject up and to the right? I thought mine might be ejecting up and to the right and that it is bouncing off the wall at the range and is then hitting me in the head. It seems that it is coming straight down but I can't tell for sure. I will have to pay more attention to where they are hitting the next time I go to the range.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Our SR22 kind of sprays all over too. Including straight back over the head and down the back of the shirt, which is more than kinda surprising. If you figure out a fix be sure to post it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I had the same thing happen at an indoor range with different brands of .22 Semi autos. The casings WERE bouncing off of the divider. I ALWAYS wear a baseball cap with brim pulled down a bit, wrap around safety glasses and high necked shirts when I shoot. Always!

I did learn to shoot with my mouth shut, though, after having a couple of those casings bounce off of my bottom lip. No damage, but a good warning.

·
Registered
983 Posts
My SR22 functions really well. I get very few FTF's or FTE's with many different types of ammo, including cheap bulk stuff and some 50 year old ammo that belonged to my father-in-law.

The issue that I am having is it occasionally ejects straight up and back and the casing lands on the top of my head. It doesn't make any difference what type of ammo I a using. I am gripping it firmly and it is oriented straight up and down. I am concerned that I am going to get burned or that it will drop in behind my glasses or down my shirt.

Any ideas why it is doing this and how to correct it?
I don't have an SR22 but it is usually the angle on the ejector that determines which direction the shell casing is ejected. Might try gently adjusting the angle slightly and see if that helps.

I have a Ruger MK IV and when I was shooting last week got a shell casing under the edge of my glasses and got a little burn. It can happen sometimes with about any gun you shoot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine ejects up and to the right. Probably at a 45 degree angle. You might be correct about it bouncing of the wall and back.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I had the same thing happen at an indoor range with different brands of .22 Semi autos. The casings WERE bouncing off of the divider. I ALWAYS wear a baseball cap with brim pulled down a bit, wrap around safety glasses and high necked shirts when I shoot. Always!
My experience is similar. I've had hot brass down the shirt, on the head, and so on after hitting the divider. So I made a deflector (my avatar) to send the brass down and forward. I use it a lot on my MKII and MKIII at the indoor range. But sometimes I want to collect some of my brass to monitor the quality of the FP hits. In that case, I wear protective clothing like granny does.

I've only had one shell eject straight up. It had a weak report, a lot of smoke, and only flew up about 10 inches. The case had split at the bottom. It was in the last mag of some very crappy surplus ammo I picked up during the great ammo shortage. Glad that junk is finally used up!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

I shot another 100 rounds through my SR22 and none of them hit me in the head. I paid attention and they were ejecting high and to the right. I suspect that an occasional casing may be bouncing off the divider at the range. Ruger told me that I could send it in to have it checked out. I am going to hold off and do a bit more testing to see if it happens again. I picked up some over-the-glasses shooting glasses and they fit and work really well.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Does your SR22 eject horizontally to the right or does it eject up and to the right? I thought mine might be ejecting up and to the right and that it is bouncing off the wall at the range and is then hitting me in the head. It seems that it is coming straight down but I can't tell for sure. I will have to pay more attention to where they are hitting the next time I go to the range.
BINGO! All of my pistols eject up and to the right. Occasionally I get one back at me off the wall. I've had them on my head, in the hood of a jacket, down the back of my shirt, and once behind my glasses and against my right cheek below the eye. It only burns for a minute. Once my wife had one hit her shoulder (tank top) and stick there. That hurt a bit worse.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I've been using the ShooterGranny method for years indoor and outdoor. Baseball cap, long sleeve shirt with a collar, T-shirt with a high neck collar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts