Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a brand new SR22 and fired a box of 50 ELEY clubs, not a single FTE.
I switched to Winchester bulk and now I get FTE on almost every shot. I read that this type of ammo is problematic when used in SR22, so I will get a different one. However, when I took the gun apart to check the spring (I saw many posts mentioning improperly sitting spring as a cause of FTEs,) I have noticed this notch on the back of the barrel.
Could this be the reason for my FTEs? Is this normal or do I need to get it replaced/filed?

IMG_3026.jpg IMG_3022.jpg IMG_3023.jpg

·
Registered
493 Posts
Looks like you have excessively dry fired and now the firing pin’s roll pin has bent enough for the firing pin to contact the chamber face. The ding will worsen with further dry fire and is already contributing to your problems. Contact Ruger Customer Service, they will fix it and when they do, don’t dry fire it much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like you have excessively dry fired and now the firing pin’s roll pin has bent enough for the firing pin to contact the chamber face. The ding will worsen with further dry fire and is already contributing to your problems. Contact Ruger Customer Service, they will fix it and when they do, don’t dry fire it much.
Thanks! After reading your reply, I have found other post talking about this issue.
I didn't dry fire that much, probably 10-15 times, and the manual says it is safe to do so. I will contact Ruger's CS to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Ctusser may be right on the dry fire issue.

Also very likely Winchester is the culprit. My SR22 will gobble up bulk Federal but chokes on Winchester bulk. Sometimes ammo is gun specific. That same Winchester will fire great in m LCP 22 and 10/22.

Definitely try some different ammo too. Good luck

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I don't care what any manual says ... My Dad would whup my butt if he caught me "snapping" one of his rimfires ... DO NOT DRY FIRE 22's ... now we know why my old man made that rule ... I have made it my rule too and you might want to think about it also . That rule does no damage to a good 22 ... trust me .
Gary

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The SR22 has a firing pin stop that prevents the firing pin from hitting the breech face when dry fired. That's what makes it okay to dry fire. If that stop is missing or broken, this can happen. Call Ruger.

Jeff

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
493 Posts
The SR22 has a firing pin stop that prevents the firing pin from hitting the breech face when dry fired. That's what makes it okay to dry fire. If that stop is missing or broken, this can happen. Call Ruger.

Jeff

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
The problem is that much dry firing damages the stop, after which damages the chamber. This is true for the LCP .22 as well, which the manual also claims is safe to dry fire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's only one roll pin, the one that holds the breech block in the receiver. Does it also act as a firing pin stop?? What is the purpose of the "firing pin blocker" (p/n 44 on the schematic)?

My firing pin broke and Ruger replaced the entire slide (I was a bit miffed as old one was marked SR22 PISTOL), barrel and takedown lever.

·
Registered
689 Posts
zingbee said:
There's only one roll pin, the one that holds the breech block in the receiver. Does it also act as a firing pin stop??
I believe it's supposed to, during a dry fire.

What is the purpose of the "firing pin blocker" (p/n 44 on the schematic)?
It moves up to block the hammer from hitting the firing pin when the safety is applied. Thus allowing a safe decocking function.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts