Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So as I try to do before starting a new thread, I've searched this forum (Ruger Rimfire) for threads about the SR22. I find numerous from "the old days" (2010 - 2014 or so), but only a couple more recently. The most recent I've found was about an ejection issue (going straight up instead of to the right), and it was from 2018 or '19. So since I think I want one, I thought I'd start this new one.

I'm guessing that the dearth of threads about the SR 22 may be because it's just such a good, reliable pistol that no one has anything to add about it. But that's a bit like saying, "{insert name of NBA player, like L James, M Jordan, etc} is killing it on the court, but I don't want to discuss that". If it's good, let's talk about why.

What's my motivation? I'll save the full story for later in the thread. (Right now, I'm lazy, it's cool and raining, and I want to go lie in my hammock in the living room and listen to the rain on the roof.)

Suffice to say, after a year of searching for a Ruger .22 LR handgun, and multiple threads (I started two: LCRx 3" in .22 and a Mark IV standard 6", and participated in others about the LCP II in .22 -- very alluring, but the problems are still too prevalent for me), it seems the SR22 may be the right one for me. Yes, I know there are many other .22 handgun makers that deserve a look; I've looked at some of them. SW, Walther, Taurus and others make good contenders. But I've become a Ruger person over the last 10 years, and for now, really just want to stay with them. I know how they work better than others -- both the guns and the company.

I'd looked at the SR22 before, but never really researched it deeply until a few weeks ago. Now that I've watched many (though certainly not all) videos about it, read many (though no doubt not all) written reviews, it seems to be the right gun for me for my needs at this time. All the reviews -- or lets say 95% of what I've seen -- really rave about it. They point out a few dislikes -- like the infamous mag disconnect safety -- but overall, it seems to be a loved gun. I'd still like to try an LCRx 3" in .22 and even a Mark IV. But right now, they're not the right ones for me. (The first has to do with price; the second with weight.) Maybe an LCP .22 if Ruger fixes the issues with it.

For the record, this is -- for a while, at least -- going to be my "do everything" handgun, mainly a camp kit gun, an EDC (which involves far more time in camp than in town -- MUCH more on that later; has to do with where I live and aging issues), and even a bit of small game (though mostly opportunistic in long autumn camps; if I really want to hunt squirrel or grouse, I'll use the 10/22).

I'll explain more about that later. But I'm going to (out of financial necessity, and for other reasons explained later that include the aforementioned, inevitable aging process) sell or trade my EC9s to help fund the SR22. (I'm even considering a trade thread in the classifieds; a friend will buy it for market price, but he doesn't really need it, and hopes I can trade it plus cash.)

It'll be one of two guns in my current kit. The other is a 10/22 that's kind of a project. Now, I'm really attracted to .22. I always have been, but now more than ever.

So I thought I'd start the discussion by inviting SR22 owners -- current and former (and even future) -- to describe what they like or don't like about it in 2021. Has it changed in the last decade? Better or worse? Does it really eat almost everything you feed it? Favorite diet? Anything else you want to say to a potential buyer?

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Well, never stress about starting a new thread (IMHO). Second, my SR22 was for a good spell my "fun gun". I purchased a fair amount of ammo for it after i purchased it. So, i have experimented with many brands and the two that i ALWAYS have problems with is Winchester (white box) and Federal (light blue box). The one that really works well is Remington Golden Bullets! Dirty as a 5 year old playing in the mud but functions just fine. CCI's are also very good in it. Don't really know what changes if any have been made since i purchased mine. Take down is a breeze for cleaning. The gun is far more accurate than i could ever dream being.

My 2 cents, get one and enjoy the heck out of it ...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I totally agree with rmichael63's post. I have and still shoot a first year production model. It is more accurate (for me) than the little lady's Walther P-22, If new, break it in with CCI, and then shoot any ammo you can find! No Winchester White Box or the Remington Thunderbolts. This one will not run with either.

·
Registered
307 Posts
my LGS has a lot of them in stock and I'm leaning towards getting one myself. i'll admit, i was never really interested in the SR22 when it first came out, but i keep telling myself "no more guns, unless they're 22's".

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my LGS has a lot of them in stock ...
Can you tell me their price there, please? At least roughly -- no need to the penny.

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Mine is also a first year production model. They now have two models, one short barrel and the other long

3 1/2 and 4 1/2

·
Registered
424 Posts
They also have a threaded barrel model, or you can buy a threaded barrel separately, like I did, if interested.

When I first got mine I had a couple issues. When I got it I was doing a lot of work away from home so I took it with me and after hours practiced a lot of dry-fire to get used to it and break in the trigger (but honestly, mostly because I was bored.) After a while I noticed a divot on the chamber face. The manual claims dry firing is safe in this gun, so I sent it back to Ruger to be fixed. My curiosity got the better of me so I did this again to see if I was able to reproduce it, sure enough at around 1500 clicks the divot formed again; Yea shame on me, I’m a heel. Ruger fixed it again. So don’t dry fire it excessively.

Also, It had some issues with cycling ammo rated below 1225 fps. I noticed there was a lot of friction when manually racking the slide and I could even stall the slide half way, remove my hand and it would stay open from the friction. I decided to replace the guide rod with a stainless steel one, sand (very light grit) and polish all the steel friction areas that included the new guide rod, outside of the barrel, frame rail, underneath the slide and top edge of the hammer where it contacts the slide. I also lightly sanded and polished the edges to the mouth of the chamber and feed ramp. It now cycles standard velocity and never malfuntions. I get an occasional failure to fire with bulk ammo that usually will fire with second strike.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Replacing that guide rod is the first thing I'll do, after cleaning before I shoot it.

Then, I'll use the dry fire feature very sparingly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought both models (3.5" and 4.5" barrels) and had no issues with either one. I shoot and carry the 4.5" barrel most of the time. The longer sight radius helps with accuracy. It's not as accurate as my Mark pistols, but it isn't meant to be. That doesn't mean you can't hit anything with it. They are pretty accurate and as stated by rmichael63, easy to take down and clean. Good luck with yours if you get one.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
20 hours later. Thanks for all of your responses so far. They are positive and informational, thus helpful. Please keep those cards and letters coming in. Post often if you have stories to share about the SR22.

Based on existing posts alone -- plus all the reviews I mentioned in my OP -- I'm now committed to acquiring an SR22 ASAP. As I mentioned in my OP, I'm considering starting a Want to Trade on the forum; I could trade my current pistol plus some cash. But what I'm reading here makes me think that may be wasted effort; I'm beginning to think that people love their SR22 so much they won't part with it.

So I'm leaning toward selling my EC9s to my friend -- who wants it anyway -- and buying one out right. I've found several online for very reasonable prices -- better than I expected. Of course, given current conditions, what I found may go really fast.

I wish I could just move quickly. Most months, I could make the difference happen now (then replace the funds with used gear sales before the cock crows again in July). But in this case, I'm dealing with a dental issue at the moment (my first cavity in decades, in an important tooth, that my insurance will only pay 50% (out of network), and trying to make sure I can cover the "co-pay" by the only dentist in my town of 2200, who is also quite expensive). I'm also preparing to sell a few items (nothing suitable for here unless someone wants an Eberlestock Halftrack at a decent price), most of which is going to savings, but some small amount of it can pick up the extra on an SR22.

Minor point also: last night, I posted above about wanting one in FDE. I like FDE with black -- like my 10/22 wearing a Hogue FDE stock. But for some reason, I'm not liking the FDE frame as much. If the grips were FDE, I'd go for it. But the black/FDE/black pattern just doesn't resonate.

So I think I'll go with a standard black. $30 less anyway. Someday, I may add some FDE parts to it, or maybe pick up some FDE paint and be a little artistic. Hogue makes some FDE grips for it, and I've never had Hogue grips that I didn't like; my EC9s wears a set. But I'll see what the standard grips will do. No doubt, I'll use the smaller ones. I wear men's small gloves, and I expect those grips to fit about as well. I also use shooters gloves -- two pair, one leather -- and I'm betting that trigger guard is going to offer enough real estate to fit in there well.

I'll keep you posted. Please keep those cards and letters coming in.

Here's another seed question: what kind of 5-shot groups are you getting at, say, 5, 10 and 20 yds, free hand? These adjustable 3-dot sights really kind of excite me. As I've gotten older, I've moved back to good iron sights that are adjustable. I've got a set of Tech Sights TSR-200s on my 10/22 with the variable aperture kit installed. I still haven't fully got it zeroed in -- so many projects, so little time, especially now that summer is arriving in Maine -- but I really like them.

For now, the rain has stopped. Going to ride my ATV up toward the lake this afternoon ...

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is one of my favorite ever 22s. The first SR22 I had was adopted by my grand daughter and I could not get it back. Good for her. I bought the second for myself soon after and carry it often. They shoot great, but we don't dry fire them without a snap cap. Grand daughter's chamber rim got dinged and I cleaned it up so rounds would chamber and extract. We got them a couple years ago when prices were good, but they are still worth it. I also like that they are light and easy to carry. I have several Marks and other 22 handguns and this is at the top of the list for several reasons. Good luck with yours.

Please let us know what you get and how you like it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hope to do so well at 5 yds.

Reactions: Ctusser

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
If new, break it in with CCI, and then shoot any ammo you can find!
@RugerGuy21, would you recommend MiniMags, Velocitors or something else CCI for break in?

This is part of a bigger question I have about ammo. The claims (multiple, approaching many) I'm reading is that it will happily eat almost any quality ammo that's not quiet: standard and high velocity. Does that comfortably include hypervelocity like Velocitors?

PS: added later. I ask because there's a bit of question about whether a steady diet of Velocitors may cause damage in 10/22. Some are OK, I'm told, but not a steady diet. Wondering how the SR22 stands up.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I shoot Stingers, Velocitors, MiniMags, Blazers and Standard velocity with no issues. Today I even tried some CCI Quiet (rated 710 fps) and it ejected all the spent casings but only picked up the next round 20% of the time, I didn’t expect it to cycle at all. Had a little fun and loaded one magazine with alternating Stingers and Quiets. The guy the next lane over was probably wondering what the heck I was doing😆

Any HV (rated over 1200fps) that functions in your gun would be fine for break in. Standard velocity might not fully cycle initially.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts