Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is normal or not but I have an SR22 and the magazine does not go all the way in. The gun does cycle and fire no problem but it looks weird? Is this normal? I've seen other pics where the magazine sits flush with the base of the gun.

Not sure if you can see that but this is the link for the pic on imgur http://imgur.com/mqMYBKV

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
My older one has essentially no gap. My wife's newer one has a small gap, a bit less perhaps than in your photo.
Could be they changed it a bit as some have reported the rubber grip sleeve has sometimes interfered with full insertion of the magazine. Some have even sanded off part of the rubber to make it easier to insert may fully.
You should have two grips (unless perhaps you bought it used) and the rubberized portion can be removed. The stock grip can be a bit challenging to remove and after changing you might find, especially outdoors on a hot sunny day, that the grip moves too easily the result can be that the magazine does not catch. You might get it in far enough to load one round but then if the mag disconnect isn't operated by a fully inserted mag then it will not fire.
On my wife's I have left the factory installed grip and have had no issues (purchase early 2015). On mine, with the swapped grip, I have taken a cotton cleaning patch and folded it over and put it between the back of the frame and the inside of the grip when I reinstalled the grip to give it a bit more friction to resist sliding off. Aside from the shape there are only two little nubs that lock it in place.
Also, depending on how you grip it (and the weather and weather you have swapped grips) when you load a mag the sleeve could slip down and interfere with easy of full insertion of the magazine. (I had his happen during qualification for my concealed carry, easy to correct but can be puzzling the first time it happens if you aren't familiar with the ways the grip sleeve works)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its strange because I can press it and it will go in further and then be flush with the bottom of the gun but it feels like it's springy and it won't stay all the way in. If I hold it there with my hand it stays but if I let go I get the gap. The gun works fine. I guess the newer sr22's are just built this way? Can anyone else confirm that their magazine doesn't go in all the way?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Mine sits flush to the frame, but...

Does the mags go in easily and drop out easily when you press the release? When I first got mine I really had to push to get the mag seated and I had to pull the mags out. Sent it back and they changed the mag disconnect. Everything is nice, tight, and smooth now.

·
Registered
181 Posts
There has to be SOME gap so that when you press (or smack) the mag in, the notch in the mag goes past the latch so it can engage. No mag can be completely flush. If it works, don't worry about it.

When you push up on the mag, you're actually pressing the rounds and the follower into the mag against the mag spring, hence the "springy-ness".

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I just looked at mine and there is a small gap, about what AgentOrange shows. I have the flat floorplate. Maybe there are variations with floorplates that contribute to the gap. Mine has functioned flawlessly with 1000+ rounds.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Both my SR .22's have the tiny gap as shown.
One bought in Oct 2014 and the other in Oct 2015.
So looks fine to me. Pistols run great.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
3,098 Posts
I just purchased my SR22 this year and it too has a gap. On the two mags purchased with the gun same gap. I have a additional ten round mag and x2 more 15 round extended mags with the same gap. The SR22 and all x5 mags work amazing and I have had no issues with this SR22 after 2400 rounds. Love this Ruger.

·
Registered
598 Posts
No mag can be completely flush. If it works, don't worry about it.
Like most all encompassing statements, that is not true for all guns. There are many more, but from personal experience, my SIG P238's that have both a 6 round and a 7 round extended magazine are totally flush when you use the 6 round magazine.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p238-rainbow-micro-compact.html

Perhaps that is more common on all metal 1911 and 1911 style pistols?

The 7 round extended grip magazines do have a very slight gap. My Glock 42 also has a very small gap between the base of the grip and the magazine base plate.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Like most all encompassing statements, that is not true for all guns. There are many more, but from personal experience, my SIG P238's that have both a 6 round and a 7 round extended magazine are totally flush when you use the 6 round magazine.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p238-rainbow-micro-compact.html

Perhaps that is more common on all metal 1911 and 1911 style pistols?

The 7 round extended grip magazines do have a very slight gap. My Glock 42 also has a very small gap between the base of the grip and the magazine base plate.

Dang, I’ve been wrong for 3 years and didn’t know it.

I guess my SR22 mag doesn’t work after all.

How bout we define “flush”?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Dang, I’ve been wrong for 3 years and didn’t know it.

I guess my SR22 mag doesn’t work after all.

How bout we define “flush”?
Sorry if I didn't clarify my statement in the first place.

Just saying that some magazines do go in flush - completely flat with the bottom of the grip. Looking at the gun straight sideways you do not see the base of the magazine. I put the link to the picture of the SIG to show that.

It has nothing to do with the fact that a very high percentage of magazines with bottom plates that can be removed to clean the magazine do have a small gap, and nothing to do with whether the magazines work properly. Heck, the magazines for my Ruger MarkIV Lite are flush with the base of the grip (or very close to that) and they don't function properly at all. Still doing "tune up" and even more smoothing and adjusting to all 5 of those factory mags, trying to get the gun to function reliably!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts