Ruger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to send me SR22 back to Ruger for a little slide wear by the slide release lever. It really sucks. I am planing a range trip and wanted to take it along with my new 10/22. I hope it comes back fast because it is a fun little plinker!

Has anyone else had slide wear issues corrected and how did the SR22 do after repair? Did the wear continue?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Danger
Some people myslf included lightly sanded the top back edge of the slide stop, as they seem to come from the factory sharp. I've got 2 SR22's both with about 2500 rds thru each with no signs of slide ware, as I saw a post about this problem before I had to many rds thru mine, and as I said sanded mine.
Yes I agree they're great little plinkers, imo the best of the that type pistol on the market. It beats the Walther P22's hands down.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had to send me SR22 back to Ruger for a little slide wear by the slide release lever. It really sucks. I am planing a range trip and wanted to take it along with my new 10/22. I hope it comes back fast because it is a fun little plinker!

Has anyone else had slide wear issues corrected and how did the SR22 do after repair? Did the wear continue?
Release the slide by pulling back the slide - not by pushing down on the slide release lever. I don't know that that is the problem but that will cause premature slide wear.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
+1 to what gmsoapy said. That miner slide scratch is cosmetic anyway. After 2 or 3 jeweler's file passes on the slide release it won't happen any more & it can be touched up with a sharpies & you do not see it with the pistol assembled. My SR22p runs great.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I sanded the sharp edge off, and release the slide by pulling the slide back.

I also installed the O-Ring in the RSA. Only 496 rounds fired so far since 8-1. I'm slacking.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Release the slide by pulling back the slide - not by pushing down on the slide release lever. I don't know that that is the problem but that will cause premature slide wear.
That would have just the opposite effect.

It's the top back edge (the edge closest to the front of the pistol) of the slide lock lever that is doing the scraping. Pushing it down to release the slide keeps the sharp edge from touching and thus scraping the slide. That's the only way to keep the metal on metal contact from happening.

I rounded my SR22 slide lock contact area with a file. A q-tip with Bluing liquid made the aluminum slide dark again.

The issue happens when when the mag gets empty. The next round is fired and the LRHO (last round hold open) mechanism pushes the slide lock lever up against the slide to lock it open when the slide retracts.

The slide on the SR22 is made of aluminum. The slide lock lever is steel. Steel beats aluminum, (and anodizing) big time. The back edge of the slide release need to be rounded. Even then, with enough usage, the anodizing will ultimately wear off in that area. It's the sharp edge gouging of material that is an issue.

No matter what a person does, there will be some rubbing in that area that will remove the black anodizing. That's what happens when metal rubs on metal enough times. (just like the metal ramp that picks up the next round....it will ultimately be bare metal.)

I guess if you don't ever let the mag get empty when you shoot, there would be no issue.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The slide on the SR22 is made of aluminum. The slide lock lever is steel. Steel beats aluminum, (and anodizing) big time. The back edge of the slide release need to be rounded. Even then, with enough usage, the anodizing will ultimately wear off in that area. It's the sharp edge gouging of material that is an issue.
I was under the impression that there is a hardened steel pin in the slide at the pint where the slide contacts the slide lock. I certainly have such a pin in mine. Are they not all that way?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yes there is a steel pin at the bach of the slide. But once the last round is chambered the slide stp is now in contact with the slid hench the wear on the slide as the slide recoils for the last time on an empty mag. As mndoggie said you will always get a wearing of the bluing in this area because of this. As long as you're not getting gouges on the slide. Which is what the sharp edge will do.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I was under the impression that there is a hardened steel pin in the slide at the pint where the slide contacts the slide lock. I certainly have such a pin in mine. Are they not all that way?
That pin is there only to prevent the hard steel of the slide stop lever from changing the geometry of the rear vertical portion of the notch. The front of the lever hits that portion. It's the back side that is scratching up the slide.

When I "played" my empty SR22 so see how the slide got the wear, it only can happen when an empty magazine is inserted (that pushes the slide stop lever up) and the slide moves rearward.

That action happens two times during usage.

1. When the last round in a mag is fired and the slide locks open.

2. Or when a person inserts an empty magazine and practices dry firing. If they cycle the slide to cock the hammer (rather than using their thumb to manually cock the hammer) the raised slide stop lever scrapes the bottom of the slide between the steel pin and the rear of the slide.

Again, rounding the one edge (if you even have the issue) will deal with most if not all of the problem.

The issue was identified within weeks of the release of the SR22 back in Dec/Jan. Information on how to deal with the issue started appearing almost immediately.

Except in really severe cases, the wear isn't visible from the outside. The slide has to be removed to see it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree it is a great gun and it is by far one of the best .22LR pistols for the $$. Where I don't agree is that I need to use special care filing parts, rounding areas, or techniques while using the gun. I plan on going business as usual with it and if it has to go back to Arizona a few times to get it right, then so be it.

I was merely inquiring if anyone had seen continued wear after the Ruger CS repairs.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ruger CS must have set a Record for fastest turn around time with my SR22. Shipped to AZ Dec. 2 and back on my porch Dec. 6. Thank you Ruger!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts