Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SR22 Pistol fails to eject almost every round when using standard velocity .22 ammo. I have tried 4 different brands and get the same result. It has little to no problems with High Velocity ammo.

I bought this gun for the sole purpose of its "eat anything" reputation. I have put 1500+ rounds through it. Ruger sent me a new guide rod/spring and it did not help.

Any suggestions? Any other people having this issue?

thanks
Joe from Illinois

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Welcome Joz
I have two SR22's and they will eat anything high velocity I give I've never tried S\standard velocity. Are you sure the recoil spring is fully seated. When installing it turn it cw looking for the breack end and it should go over the firstridge only and up to the back end of the guide rod and stay there. Some of the guns have been comming from Ruger with the spring not fully seated. I'm sure some else who uses standard velocity ammo will post.As I said before I only use Hi vel. Again welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Well, first, let's look to you as a possible problem.

When I first got mine I had to adjust some things.

First was to not have part of my hand or fingers against the slidee which slowed it down.

Second is to make sure you aren't "limp wristing" which is holding the gun weakly in the hand such that the recoil pushes the pistol back along with the bolt which causes it to not have enough energy to return to battery.

Also, disassemble it and check for burs or rough edges on the slide and other friction surfaces.

The manual on page 13 says it might not work with sub-sonic or match-grade ammo. It says if it doesn't work try a different brand of ammo.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
That's certainly interesting, given that every Ruger ad for the SR22 specifically makes a point of how it can eat anything, not just high velocity.

All the inexpensive bulk pack ammo I've ever seen is universally high velocity. Thus I'm tending to suspect most folks never use standard velocity ammo in the SR22 seeing how it would cost more. Seems standard velocity is used when one wants greater accuracy, though if one wanted maximum accuracy seems they'd likely have selected something from the MKIII line instead.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My SR22 Pistol fails to eject almost every round when using standard velocity .22 ammo. I have tried 4 different brands and get the same result. It has little to no problems with High Velocity ammo.

I bought this gun for the sole purpose of its "eat anything" reputation. I have put 1500+ rounds through it. Ruger sent me a new guide rod/spring and it did not help.

Any suggestions? Any other people having this issue?

thanks
Joe from Illinois
I took my SR22 out to my little range by the house yesterday afternoon and experimented with some lower velocity ammo.

I fired:
10 rds of Aguila 40 gr standard velocity. No velocity marked on box but probably 1050 fps - no problems.
10 rds of Remington Subsonic 36gr 1050 fps muzzle velocity - no problems
10 rds of CCI Quiet-22 40gr 710 fps muzzle velocity - All casing ejected (very anemically) but the slide would not pick up the next round from the mag. I was able to fire all rounds by manually racking the slide - like a bolt action rifle.

So, with 3 very low velocity ammos, the pistol performed as expected.

I have had some FTE's from high velocity bulk ammo but I attribute that to variances in the ammo itself.

PS: Welcome to the forum

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having some issues with your SR22. I would call Ruger again, its possible you got a bad apple which does happen. Also welcome from Western Massachusetts!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I too got the SR22 because I wanted to be able to shoot anything through it...Please continue to update !!! I have not tried to shoot std vel yet, since the cheapest stuff so far has all been high vel......I would like to know what you find out if and when you do...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Again....another vote for checking the guide rod spring. it should NOT fall off therod when you remove the rod/spring assembly. It should be "captured" on the necking of the rod at the end. If it IS loose it effectively makes your spring rate higher, making the pistol want more powerful rounds to operate the gun.

Also...lube the gun real good.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have put 555 rds of Winchester White Bulk and 500 rds of CCI-Blazer with no problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SR22 ammo

I just bought the SR22 Friday and Sunday I shot 5-6 boxes through it without any failures. I shot standard velocity, high velocity, old shells that had started to corrode and stuff I've had for a long time. It ate everything I put through it without any problem. I'm very satisfied with my purchase and would recommend the SR22 to anyone wanting to have some cheap fun shooting a semi-auto pistol.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The only 22 pistol that will fire anything reliably, is a revolver. Gun owners need to understand that not every pistol is identical, and while some may fire SV AND HV ammo reliably, the next one may not. My SR22P is one that does not. Is it defective and needs to go back to Ruger? NO. As with every 22 autoloader before the SR22P was released, find an ammo that works, and stick with it. Read the owners manual for any other 22 autoloader, and you will see that recommendation. If you want a 22 pistol that will fire anything, get a revolver.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I used a box of CCI standard velocity 750fps without any issues - didn't really pay attention to how forcibly they ejected - but they all did and all fed the next round. For a while that was the only ammo on the shelf so I figured I'd give it a try. I would get more if I was desperate for .22 which I am not for now.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Thunderbolts and American Eagle

I have been shooting the dreaded thunderbolts no problem. Now on a box of American eagle & doing fine.
I used some Thunderbolts that my bro-in-law had - gave the brick I picked up to my sister's bo after I stocked up on Golden Bullets. I tried some American Eagle - many problems in a Marlin rifle - gave them to my bro-in-law to use in his 22 revolver.

I know the GBs have some bad reviews but I have had good luck with them - copper washed so no bare lead down the barrel, no wax or other coating to gum up the speed loaders or magazines, best of all got a bunch for under $20 after tax and rebate (in early Dec 2012) and another bunch for just under $20 plus tax this past Nov. used up or gave away the smattering of other bulk stuff - still have some CCI mini mags and some Winchester (100 pack M32 or something like that)

Would really like to be able to walk into Wal-mart any day and time and pick up a brick of Winchester white box for $20ish - I wonder if that will every happen again - or when they come back if the average price of a brick will be pushing $30 if not $40.

·
Banned
317 Posts
I really question the reasons for using subsonic rounds in a 3.5" barrel SR22.
My pistol has had less than 2 failures on HV ammo out of about 5000 rounds.
I wouldn't waste target ammo on a short barrel pistol.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The only 22 pistol that will fire anything reliably, is a revolver. Gun owners need to understand that not every pistol is identical, and while some may fire SV AND HV ammo reliably, the next one may not. My SR22P is one that does not. Is it defective and needs to go back to Ruger? NO. As with every 22 autoloader before the SR22P was released, find an ammo that works, and stick with it. Read the owners manual for any other 22 autoloader, and you will see that recommendation. If you want a 22 pistol that will fire anything, get a revolver.
I agree with you on that. I also think that there is a wide variation in quality of 22lr ammo., and not always brand specific. One lot of the same ammo can be weak compared to the next lot of the same brand. We just have to deal with it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts