Ruger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, been a while since I got my SR22 back from the factory after the TDL failed, and I sold after it was fixed.

A friend of mine was asking about them, and I said that mine was an early gun that had the issue, but wasn't sure if they've done anything about it yet as it seems to happen to a lot of SR22s.

I thought I'd ask, as I might consider one again if they've come up with a fix, but I'm not crazy about having to buy an aftermarket part for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hello, new guy here ,,i see you bought a new sr22 pistol also,, i did too,, mine doesnt always like to return to battery and other things,, i see where youre saying youres had issue,,, what did youres doif i might ask??? i knew to ruger and fairly new to guns in general,, do you think mark III"s are any good??

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hi jedi daddy
First off welcome to the forum this is a great place to learn, a lot of great people here who have been around guns for many years and are willing to share their knowledge. Hang around yo'll see. As far as Ruger as a company you'll find none better way it comes to custom service. They stand behind their products. Also welcome to the shooting world. Please learn to handle and use guns safely and don't be afraid to ask questions or to say you don't know had to do something. You can always get an answer here if no place else. If you've never been around guns before see if you can find a gun safety class many gun stores offer them. Be safe!!
I have 2 SR22's with about 2000 rds thru each of they mostly Federal bulk Walmart. They are both trouble free guns so far. I had an issue with the first one the recoil spring wasn't fully seated which caused fail to feed and other problems. I seated it turning CW looking from the breech and and that took care of the poblems.
I have three MKIII's they are great guns very accurate and well built. They've been making them since 1949.I love mine. The break down is alittle different but Once you learn how to break they down ( plenty of u tubes out there for this) it becomes a piece of cake.These guns will probably out last us.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I bought mine a year ago and like gmsoapy I've gone through about 3000 rounds (I can't hardly believe it myself) it gets shot for a couple hundreds rounds every time I go shooting (a couple times a week) and cleaned once a month. So far, I've had no problems with the sweet little gun. I have several 22 pistols in my collection and could choose to shoot any of them, but the two I always seem to make sure are in my gun case are the SR22 and my MKIII 22/45 Lite.

The Lite is pushing 1000 rounds down the tube. It has a red dot on it and a muzzle break that I added. No Problems with it either aside from the dreaded "first time tear down syndrome:D" after a couple times it was no problem. The Youtube videos are great for help.

The Marks have been around a long time with untold numbers sold for a reason - they work.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to hear. Bottom line, I'm glad Ruger does take care of their customers, and that'd be the reason I'd consider one again. mine was a great shooter, and I do miss it from time to time as I thought it'd be a decent carry gun for those wanting a .22.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I bought mine a year ago and like gmsoapy I've gone through about 3000 rounds (I can't hardly believe it myself) it gets shot for a couple hundreds rounds every time I go shooting (a couple times a week) and cleaned once a month. So far, I've had no problems with the sweet little gun. I have several 22 pistols in my collection and could choose to shoot any of them, but the two I always seem to make sure are in my gun case are the SR22 and my MKIII 22/45 Lite.

The Lite is pushing 1000 rounds down the tube. It has a red dot on it and a muzzle break that I added. No Problems with it either aside from the dreaded "first time tear down syndrome:D" after a couple times it was no problem. The Youtube videos are great for help.

The Marks have been around a long time with untold numbers sold for a reason - they work.
Oh it's not hard to believe love shooting mine. imgine if they had a speed loader for it like McFaddens for the MKIII's. I use one of those for my MK"s 550 rds gone like nothing. Good thing .22LR's are cheap.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Over 2,500 rounds through my SR22 so far with no issues.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My SR22P should have a Maytag label on it. It just keeps putting rounds down range. I'm probably way over 3000 rounds by now. I stopped counting. I just know that I have 7 empty blue boxes that used to be full. A few have gone through the 10/22, but most have gone through the SR22P.

Buying extra magazines aids in using up more ammo.

The SR22P is a great little gun. I have had absolutely ZERO problems.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My SR22P should have a Maytag label on it. It just keeps putting rounds down range. I'm probably way over 3000 rounds by now. I stopped counting. I just know that I have 7 empty blue boxes that used to be full. A few have gone through the 10/22, but most have gone through the SR22P.

The magazines are scarce and pricey when found.:eek:

·
Registered
652 Posts
I really like mine, after I got the recoil spring in place where it belonged. I have over 1000 rounds through mine and no problems. really like the weapon. Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I paid $28.95 each for the extra mags. About 5 bucks more than the typical S&W M&P variety.

I chose not to buy more because 1: My wife would have been unhappy with me, and 2: My wife would have been VERY unhappy with me.

But I bought all the store had anyway (three). I will reiterate -- with additional mags, you can put 525 rounds downrange very quickly. But 5 cents a pop beats the 25 to 50 cents a pop for larger calibers, and the SR is SO much more pleasant to shoot.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I paid $28.95 each for the extra mags. About 5 bucks more than the typical S&W M&P variety.

I chose not to buy more because 1: My wife would have been unhappy with me, and 2: My wife would have been VERY unhappy with me.

But I bought all the store had anyway (three). I will reiterate -- with additional mags, you can put 525 rounds downrange very quickly. But 5 cents a pop beats the 25 to 50 cents a pop for larger calibers, and the SR is SO much more pleasant to shoot.
You have to get your wife into shooting. That's what did. She just gave me an early christmas present an AR15.I've bought 5 new guns since Jan since I got her into shooting.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts

x2 on the extra mags. I bought four for mine since I want another one for my wife. I haven't gotten it yet, she keeps buying ME new guns. I just can't go out and buy one more when she is out classing my buys.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Oh, I'm not complaining buddy.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Could be...

Oh it's not hard to believe love shooting mine. imgine if they had a speed loader for it like McFaddens for the MKIII's. I use one of those for my MK"s 550 rds gone like nothing. Good thing .22LR's are cheap.
I talked to McFadden - and they are working on a Gen 2 Ultimate Clip Loader - although they had not so far looked at the SR22 mags - the goal for the Gen 2 (or whatever they call it) will be to expand the compatibility with more magazines - possibly through the use of some sort of adapter - and retail availability might not be till mid 2013 or later.

They are shipping me a scratch & dent unit for $12 that I intend to modify (if possible) to work with the Ruger SR22P magazine.

I am not sure until I get it just how much difference there is in the dimensions of the mags - but I already have a few ideas for potential modifications that might work.

I did pick up a BrassStacker "speed loader" to alleviate some wear and tear on my thumbs when reloading mags - as a more compact, portable, and immediate solution - until I get through the McFadden modification. And yes the SR22 mag is far easier to reload manually than say an FMK 9C1 Gen 2 9mm - but since I have had a desk job for over a decade hand loaded even a little 22 a dozen times is not the most fun part of the day at the range.

The clip loader would not only make the process easier and faster - but also make outdoors in the cold far easier - picking up a 22 round with gloves on is not easy.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Love my SR22

I like many others here had the recoil spring issue, but after that was corrected I have fired many many rounds through it without a problem. Great little gun. Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
x2 on the extra mags. I bought four for mine since I want another one for my wife. I haven't gotten it yet, she keeps buying ME new guns. I just can't go out and buy one more when she is out classing my buys.
We should all be so lucky Stargeezer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts