Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, quick question for you. With a round chambered, hammer down, and safety on - if I thumb the hammer back and let it go, will the round fire? Or is there a safety preventing the hammer from striking the primer?

I plan to test it out at the range, but obviously my living room would not be the appropriate place for such an experiment!

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
This passage from the manual regarding de-cocking indicates that when the safety is fully engaged, the firing pin is blocked.

TO UNCOCK (DECOCK) THE PISTOL
With the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, engage the safety fully (see Figures 6a & 6b). The hammer will drop near the end of the safety’s travel. Although this may appear startling, it is important to note that the firing pin is blocked, thus preventing forward movement toward the cartridge; therefore, the pistol will not fire when the safety is applied. Manually decocking the hammer with the thumb is neither necessary nor recommended. Always use either the right- or left-hand safety lever. Remember that when you return the manual safety to the firing position, the pistol can fire when the trigger is pulled if a cartridge is in the chamber and the magazine is in the gun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark, that's after decocking, but what about when the hammer's down after racking the slide?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I don't believe the Sr22 can be fired with the safety on under any circumstance including the one you're describing. That said, the best and smartest thing for you to do is personally try each scenario you can imagine at the range until you're satisfied how it functions for your own comfort and safety.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When u have a bullet loaded in the chamber and u cock the hammer by hand with the safety on just flip the safety off it will just decock the hammer and not fire the round.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
It should not fire. I say should because, well , stuff happens. With the safety on the hammer will not lock back and dropping it should work like the pistol is being decocked.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Personally, i wish it had a decock only ,DC model, like the P series did or only a safety and it moved traditionally.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello all, quick question for you. With a round chambered, hammer down, and safety on - if I thumb the hammer back and let it go, will the round fire? Or is there a safety preventing the hammer from striking the primer?

I plan to test it out at the range, but obviously my living room would not be the appropriate place for such an experiment!
unless multiple safeties fail, you won't have a negligent or accidental discharge... there is a firing pin safety.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
riogue- Although the consensus is it won't fire with the safety on, let us know what happens at the range.

BTW- my SR-22 has not only been fun for me to shoot at the range, it's been a great trainer for my wife and daughter as well.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I suspect you're all correct, but it's a worthwhile experiment and I will report back once I get somewhere I can safely test it out. I appreciate the replies. It's not rocket science, but I'm still fairly new to this and spend a lot of time thinking of worst case scenarios with accidentally lighting one off...

·
Registered
646 Posts
No such thing as dumb questions on this forum. Also interested in what you learn with your range testing. I'm fairly confident that there is no way to fire it with the safety on. BUT!, I would never be satisfied by simply reading someone else telling me that on a message board. AND! I wouldn't count on anything functioning 100% as specified. Things happen.

Enjoy your SR22. It's a great gun and a real pleasure to shoot. It's a pretty great choice for a first handgun. The one odd thing about it is that the safety is backwards vs almost every other semi-auto ever made. Down is safe and up is ready. I've read that they had to do that to accommodate the decocker in such a small frame.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joe, I get your point on the safety. Actually, my first one was a P938. I bought the SR22 to lighten the load, was going through a lot of rounds on the 938. I have no regrets buying the SR22; but the safety and action are so different than the 9mm (938 is SA with safety down to fire). I also wanted the sr22 as a DA trainer. Honestly, I am more comfortable with the DA than the SA, although I have no intention on getting rid of the 938, I just have to be cognizant of the differences and shoot the 938 often enough to stay used to the differences.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sorry rlogue, when you said new to this, I assumed it was your first handgun. My bad! shouldn't have treated you like a newbie. I am interested in hearing what actually happens at the range. The firing pin safety should do what most of us think it does.

I read a really positive review on the P938. It looks like an awesome carry gun.

Ruger describes the action on the SR22 as "light DA" on first shot and then "crisp" SA thereafter. It's not a bad description.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry rlogue, when you said new to this, I assumed it was your first handgun. My bad! shouldn't have treated you like a newbie. I am interested in hearing what actually happens at the range. The firing pin safety should do what most of us think it does.

I read a really positive review on the P938. It looks like an awesome carry gun.

Ruger describes the action on the SR22 as "light DA" on first shot and then "crisp" SA thereafter. It's not a bad description.

Oh... I am a newbie, I just have two guns lol!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm very interested to hear the results as well, I bought mine and had a bad ejector, and still waiting to get it back from CS, this would be nice to know for when I do get it back

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tested it tonight, it worked as expected, it did not go bang. There's a safety preventing contact, as a matter of fact the sound is kind of a "clunk" rather than a "click", so it's obvious that there's a safety preventing the hammer from contacting the firing pin.

Also, wow is this a fun gun to shoot!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I tested it tonight, it worked as expected, it did not go bang. There's a safety preventing contact, as a matter of fact the sound is kind of a "clunk" rather than a "click", so it's obvious that there's a safety preventing the hammer from contacting the firing pin.

Also, wow is this a fun gun to shoot!
Good to hear. Thanks for posting your experience.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Thanks for sharing and continue to enjoy your SR22

1 - 18 of 18 Posts