Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought this for my wife and she has been having a grand time with it. Unfortunately she suffers with Arthritis in her fingers leaving her a bit weaker than most. This gun worked for her and she shot very well. Our last 2 range days it has become impossible for her to release the slide with a full or even empty clip in it. I shoot Glock 26 and 30 and I can't release the slide without backing it up first. You know that when somethings not running right it takes the fun out of it and her shooting is suffering as a result. It's not quite 6 mos. old with about 1000 rnds through it. Any help greatly appreciated.
Tx
Roufus

·
Major
1,624 Posts
The correct way to release a slide is to pull back the slide, not try to press down the slide stop. Try putting the left hand on the top of the slide and push the pistol forward while holding the slide. Then release the slide. There are several videos online showing this technique.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Is your wife trying to release the slide by pushing down on the slide lock lever?

If so: Pulling back on the slide and releasing it is known as "slingshotting" the slide, and that is the proper way to load a round in the chamber for most semi auto guns.

In fact, if you read the owner's manual most guns will tell you that the thing that pushes up into the little slot in the slide to hold the slide back is a SLIDE LOCK lever.......

Some manufacturers say you can use the slide lock lever to release the slide, but more of them tell you to slingshot it. After all: The gun is made so that when you shoot one round, the slide is slammed all the way back as far as it can go and then the spring slams it forward again. That's how they work.

Here's an old thread on the subject:
https://rugerforum.net/pistols-revolvers/102920-slide-release-hand-rack-slide-release.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts