Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am going to pick up my SR22 tomorrow. I have seen videos of a couple incidents about the takedown lever failing on Youtube. I am accepting the fact that these are possible things that may happen to me and other SR22P owners. Until then I will worry about it when it happens and sure that Ruger will take care of it for me and others. IF there is enough of a safety concern Ruger will make sure to perform a recall like they have on the SR9.

·
Registered
549 Posts
how many rounds did you have before the 1st problem and what about the 2nd time..I have put 1055 rds thru my SR22 with no problems....Hope you get it fixed, because it's great to shoot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was around the 1200 round mark the first time and a little over the 2000 round mark this time. Sweet little shooter, hope they can resolve the issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First failure I was probably at the 250-300 round mark for that day. Yesterday I was only on my second mag. Shooting mini mags on the first failure and bulk Winchester this time.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Does yours have "Pistol" on the slide? I was told that those are the early runs and have the issue. Mine only has 400 rounds thru it, I'm slacking on shooting in the backyard since bambi was legal over the weekend.;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues with the take down lever....I have seen (via the internet, youtube, etc. ) a couple of these issues.....Apparently the take down lever on a couple of the SR22s have had issues. I would contact Ruger and have them resolve it...The other people that have had these issues sent their guns to Ruger and had them replaced.......

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
. I would contact Ruger and have them resolve it...The other people that have had these issues sent their guns to Ruger and had them replaced.......
This is the second time he has had the problem, he has sent it back and had it repaired once already.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm keeping my o ring on one of mine and leaving the other without it. to see if it helps. I know it's only a band aid. I've looked at both of mine and on the back side of the take down lever is a number 2. I don't know what that means. Does anyone else have that. The number of posts about failures is getting alot less. I trust Ruger will fix or redesign the lever if it keeps up. These are great little guns. I think there one of the best of this type out there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is the second time he has had the problem, he has sent it back and had it repaired once already.
well, if the take down lever and all associated parts were replaced and he is still having the problem, then it is probably the seat in the housing......would still send it back.....

·
Registered
597 Posts
Doesn't this remind you of the SR9 when that first came out? Matter of fact it happens with all new releases whether it be a gun or something else. Defects here and there for the first 2 yrs and then minor issues to follow after. Nothing is perfect.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm keeping my o ring on one of mine and leaving the other without it. to see if it helps. I know it's only a band aid. I've looked at both of mine and on the back side of the take down lever is a number 2. I don't know what that means. Does anyone else have that. The number of posts about failures is getting alot less. I trust Ruger will fix or redesign the lever if it keeps up. These are great little guns. I think there one of the best of this type out there.
I would think the number 2 would be for what cavity of the gang mold it came from, not a revision number, but all cavities are not created equal :(

·
Registered
597 Posts
I actually put in an o-ring today just for preventative purposes. DANCO #36 5/16x 3/16x 1/16 fits perfectly over the guide rod and spring. Takes a little more strength to put the slide back on and to take it off but may be better after o-ring becomes more broken in. I tried DANCO #83 but it was too big and realized it interfered with the Takedown lever where it would disengage it when the slide goes back. I feel and hear the difference just racking the slide. Will see how it fires at the range tomorrow. If it causes too many failures I will take it out and leave it alone.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I actually put in an o-ring today just for preventative purposes. DANCO #36 5/16x 3/16x 1/16 fits perfectly over the guide rod and spring. Takes a little more strength to put the slide back on and to take it off but may be better after o-ring becomes more broken in. I tried DANCO #83 but it was too big and realized it interfered with the Takedown lever where it would disengage it when the slide goes back. I feel and hear the difference just racking the slide. Will see how it fires at the range tomorrow. If it causes too many failures I will take it out and leave it alone.
Sounds interesting......can't wait to get the report back from you after going to the range tomorrow......curious to see what effect that O ring has...If you could post some pictures (O ring placement), that would be awesome as well....thanks...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Here is the pic of the O-Ring I just put it over the guide rod and spring, It ends up being pushed to the middle. Instead of the familiar ping of metal to metal when racking the slide back you just feel a thud. We will see how it goes tomorrow at the range.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I've run about 400 rds thru mine with the o ring in. Broke it down had no trouble removing the slide. No ware on the o ring and the SR22 ran flawlessly with it in place. there's alot of posts with pictures on rimfirecenteral.com Go to Ruger other guns and look for the thread SR take down lever failures.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've run about 400 rds thru mine with the o ring in. Broke it down had no trouble removing the slide. No ware on the o ring and the SR22 ran flawlessly with it in place. there's alot of posts with pictures on rimfirecenteral.com Go to Ruger other guns and look for the thread SR take down lever failures.
add 40 rounds for mine with the same results.;)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Tiger Ruger
I'm using a 3/8" odx 1/4" id & 1/16" thick o ring. I find it just slides along the recoil spring a little better. Kidd makes a bolt buffer for the 10/22's whih don't have any problems with bolt pins breaking or anything it just cuhsions the recoil force aganist parts. So this is a slide buffer for the SR22

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mine had no O ring when I bought it there for i Will Not put an O ring anywhere it does not belong. I have around 3500 rounds through mine and not one problem ever. Sounds like every one who put an O ring in needs to get them back to ruger. Just my two cents.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts