Ruger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
putting both rugers through the outdoors wringer recently...

so far i’ve run 1200+ rounds through them, in order: cci sv, cci minimag, aguila super extra, armscor hv, plus cci quiet (lcr only). being outdoors and alone i can practice holster draw, fast reloads, etc. my random thoughts:

ruger sr22 runs like a sewing machine. cci ammo shines, of course. minimags have a bit more noticeable punch and accuracy over sv, but both are excellent rounds. only a couple of feed failures with sv, quickly corrected, other ammo was fine. magazine reloads are fast and sure. sr22 is soda can accurate up to 30’ and the more that i pressure myself to make instinctive, fast, defensive, point & shoot, shots, the more accurate i am over deliberate aiming, go figure... for certain of us, in tame locales, sporting grey hair, i can truly see a well-practiced sr22 loaded with minimags serve as a viable bring-along piece: ten fast minimags, with ten more right on tap, dumped into a pizza box sized target at legitimate civilian defensive distances has merit.

ruger lcr22 has turned disappointing, i’m sad to say as a revolver guy, but i cannot completely really fault the piece itself. the armscor ammo expanded and bound up the cylinder, others ran fine. speedloaders by cv revision (excellent) and 5 star (good) worked, but my fingers weren’t cooperating. small rounds combined with aging hands is a poor rimfire revolver-speedloader pairing, thus as a small protection piece the lcr22 is pretty much “8 shots and then punch, run or pray.” i am not a total doofus, i do better with 38sp speedloaders, which is obviously a better revolver choice for protection anyway. the sr22 was easily on-target to 30’ but my lcr22, with its dao gearing and snubbie barrel, is consistently useful to only 12’ at most.

my own random takeaways, some of which you already know: always field test ammo before carrying it. practice some where you can move, unholster, rapid fire. revolvers do occasionally fail, when they do it is total lightsout.

i am leaning to the sr22 as a forever and “one and done” (within 22lr limits) sidearm. i am having real trouble coming up with my own valid longterm use for my lcr22. thus, despite being well-made and perfectly functional, it may have to move along. with decent ammo, imho, a high-quality rimfire semiauto pistol or single action revolver is proving better than my double action 22lr revolvers: taurus 94 and s&w 317 (past) and now ruger lcr22.

comments welcome.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Very good comparison with specifics about your own body situation (age, etc.). That can be very helpful to a lot of people out here floating in the ether.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I don't own a sr22. I do have an lcpii 22lr and lcrx 3 inch 22lr. Both have been uber reliable over sevral thousands of rounds. I havent tested aquilla in either as of yet. But federal blue and black box, cci blazer, Remington gold bullet bulk pack, thunderbolt, stinger, velocitor and cci hv mini mag have all performed with out issue. Except for the lcpii and the punch round. The punch turns the lcpii into a jam o matic. Particularly FTF. When i have time i may look at polishing chamber and see if that helps.
I practice with the Revision CV lcr loader often. Only the nose of the round lines up the insertion. Then uppn release the rounds decends into cyclinder. Unlike larger caliber rounds some of the actual case is inserted into cylinder prior to release.
It does take some getting used to. Gaining confidence that the speed.loader will do the job correctly.
Personally i have come to rely with utmost confidence in my lcr.

I guess thats why there are so many choices. What works for one doesnt for another. Thanks for the great info.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the sr22 with the longer barrel and the thing just flat out shoots. Like jstert says, "soda can accurate at 30' " and then some. I cc an LC9s but wouldn't hesitate to carry the sr22 for defense, (using CCI mini mags). They are reliable and never had any problems when shooting them. Most people think a .22 isn't adequate for defense, but with 10 shots on hand and quick mag reloads, if you keep your head and know how to shoot, (meaning being willing to shoot), the sr22 would do the job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts