Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Ruger SR22 at my very local gun store (they do a TON of business, so I was shocked when I saw the born on date is 9/2014). Most guns I buy there have been only a month or two old. I've owned one of these before with the TwinTactical barrel and LOVED it--regret selling it.
--
In any case, I'm having to hit CCI standard and CCI minimags TWO times to ignite about 5% of them. I've NEVER had an issue with CCI, so I'm pretty sure it's light primer strikes.
--
QUESTIONS:
1) is there ANY way to clean the firing pin and channel WITHOUT drifting the sights and removing that one long firing pin safety spring??
2) Are there any other solutions people have found that I don't know about??
3) Will RUGER pay shipping TO them (email me a label) for repair? I REALLY want it back before they close down for Thanksgiving!!
and
4) DOES anyone know if any of the aftermarket recoil springs are a TINY bit stronger? I've seen 1# or 2# help slow unlock and make suppressors sound a LOT better. Looking at the steel ones.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I replaced both of my SR22 recoil spring assemblies with captive ones from Tandemkross. Since then it has not had a problem shooting any brand.
Before changing over it would not shoot Winchester Super X, and now it does with no problem.
Don't know if this will correct your problem , but it seemed to have cured mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The RSA won't solve light strikes BUT if the springs are ANY stronger, it will delay the unlock time when shooting and help the gun sound more quiet with a suppressor.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I have never had this problem with mine.

I have never heard anyone bring it up either. Have you tried any other ammo, like Rem. Golden Bullets or Federal.

I ask because 2 or 3 out of 50 does not sound like a pistol problem to me.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I've had failures to fire in the SR22, primarily with Federal bulk, but in those cases there were clear strikes on the case without detonation. So not light strikes.

If you have access to a sonic cleaner that would be one way to clean out the inside of the slide without disassembling it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, for CCI brand ammo, requiring a SECOND STRIKE to ignite that MUCH makes me think it has to be the firing pin.
Sonic cleaner is a good idea, but I was hoping to see what it looked like. I may load it up with water and some RAND CLP and see if that doesn't help. In the end, I'll likely just break it down tomorrow.

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you had called Ruger this morning they would have emailed you a shipping label. If you had gotten it into the mail today you most likely would have had your pistol back by next Tuesday. Their Customer Service is that good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did call Ruger yesterday, but as of 5pm today (they are now closed), I haven't gotten the Shipping Label they said they would email me.

If I don't get it by like noon tomorrow, I'll call again. But it's not looking good for getting it back before there Thanksgiving vacation.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
I did call Ruger yesterday, but as of 5pm today (they are now closed), I haven't gotten the Shipping Label they said they would email me.

If I don't get it by like noon tomorrow, I'll call again. But it's not looking good for getting it back before there Thanksgiving vacation.
Did you check your spam folder?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope. Nothing ever goes there--EXCEP THIS TIME.
Thanks for the tip!!
They sent it at 5:23pm yesterday (while I was waiting all day today).
--
I'm going to shoot it some tomorrow and save the brass to see if it's hitting any softer on some or all of it or what.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Do these primer strikes on 22LR look good to you? They don't seem to go down far enough into the rim to me--some are also pretty shallow (but these are just four average ones for a sample).

--
What I'm used to is DEEPER strikes that are also a little longer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts