Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My wife just picked up a SR22 and for the most part she really likes it. However she was shooting it for the first time the other week and was using Federal Target ammo. She had 4 or 5 F2F's out of 50 which is a little too high in my opinion. I had some Fiocchi ammo on me which worked perfectly on every round. My question is, what ammo seems to work well with the SR22 consistently?

Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
+1 to all comments!

I will ad that Blazer 40gr. have been very accurate, as well as Remington Golden Bullet (my preferred bulk ammo) & Federal bulk packs, but you will get an occasional "weak round" with those that will eject the spent case, but not bring the slide back fully to pick up a new round.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Mine will shoot and cycle any of the bulk ammo, and of course all CCI's.
Shoots everything but the Winchester Super X which it just does not like.
I estimate about 1000 rounds since Oct 2014.
Super X is now relegated to my single action revolvers.

·
Banned
650 Posts
My pistol shoots about anything my 10/22 will eat. But I really like the Aguila Super Max. I would rate Super Max right there with mini mags.

I also like CCI standard velocity. Standard Velocity is most likely the most accurate ammo I have shot in my pistol. I don't waste a lot of standard velocity on the pistol. They are super quiet in my rifle. Deer season is opening soon. I want to shoot the Standard velocity during deer season in my rifle.

Remington Thunderbolts are very accurate but I have had some problems with barrel fouling. Thunderbolts make me mad. They run great in any gun. I shoot them in my Colt that I cannot shoot a lot because parts are hard to come by no fouling. I have a JA22, no fouling. But they foul the pistol I want to shoot.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I've had lots of failures to fire with federal ammo in both SR22s and M&P22 - don't use them anymore.

I know some don't like em but I have lots of Remington Golden Bullets and they work well for me in SR22 and 10/22.

I have not had any issues with Winchester or pretty much anything with CCI on the box.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Mine seems to take anything I can find. Have shot a couple of boxes of the Federal AutoMatch (325 ct.) and had no problems.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I've had lots of failures to fire with federal ammo in both SR22s and M&P22 - don't use them anymore.

I know some don't like em but I have lots of Remington Golden Bullets and they work well for me in SR22 and 10/22.

I have not had any issues with Winchester or pretty much anything with CCI on the box.
When I got my M&P22 I shot 100 mini mags to make sure it was functioning properly. I had a box of Federal bulk ammo that I found in a tack box. I had bought a bunch of federal bulk and I wasn't happy with it. The federal bulk malfunctioned in everything. The M&P22 actually did better with the Federal bulk than my 10/22. Better is not great the M&P22 just did better with the light loads. It still choked on the crooked bullets. I am not going to say I will not buy anymore federal bulk ammo. But as long as I can get decent ammo for around $40 a brick shipped to my door I will not buy anymore federal bulk ammo. I am not real happy with Federal Auto "Match". Auto Match is not even close to match ammo. $16 for 325 is the max I am paying for auto match.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The SR22 was the first handgun I ever bought (3 years ago). The LGS clerk told me to use nothing but CCI Mini Mags for the first 400-500 rounds. Fortunately this was a little before .22 became scarce.

I have now put over 7,000 rounds through the gun. Most of it has been Remington Golden bullets and Thunderbolt. For some reason the gun does NOT like American Eagle.
Don't understand why because I'm sure it's not bad ammo.

I now try to shoot more copper plated ammo such as Federal Bulk. The Thunderbolts work great, but I have to make sure I clean the barrel after EVERY use. At least the SR22 is a lot easier to breakdown than the Mark II or III.

·
AT1(AW)
1,234 Posts
Agreed on a break in period, after about 500 rounds it shoots anything.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've shot a bunch of different stuff in mine. Good stuff:
CCI
Rem Golden Bullet
Federal AutoMatch
Eley Edge

I stay away from
Win SuperX
Rem Thunderbolt (leading)
Fed Game-Shok

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
My 2 SR22s will shoot virtually any standard and high velocity .22LR rounds.
One SR22 has a threaded barrel and will not shoot sub-sonic without the suppressor installed. (It also has feed problems withCCI's sub-sonic ammo failing to feed properly even with the suppressor installed.)

Both of mine are omnivores from my experience.

Fiocchi (36gr?)
Aquila (40gr)
Remington Golden Bullet (40gr? - Bucket O Bullets)
CCI Mini-mags

The threaded SR22 functions great with Gemtech's Black box .22LR rounds and functions well with Aguila's sub-sonic ammo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have two SR22 pistols for me and my wife. Both are picky about ammo even after over 1000 rounds. So far these are the ones I have no problem with. CCI mini mags, Remington Golden Bullets and Remington Thunder Bolt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts