Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not the first to have this particular problem. Bought a new SR22 this weekend which looks and feels beautiful so I took it out to the range for a break-in session. All did not go according to plan.

There was an identical problem posted by a DMax7 or DMax07 about 2 months ago. This gun requires the magazine to be inserted into the frame in order to fire. Problem is when the magazine is fully inserted until it clicks home, 'most' of the time it will not engage the trigger. This means I can move the trigger all the way forward and backward with the safety fully off and in the firing position and the trigger does not engage anything at all. I say 'most' of the time because sometimes I can get off 1 or 2 rounds then it will become disengaged. Field stripped it and no observable problems. Everything moves/slides freely.

Happened to be another person at the range with the same model gun purchased 2 weeks ago. His works flawlessly, of course. We found out that:

1) Either of my magazines into his pistol worked perfectly every time dry or live fire.
2) Either of his magazines into my pistol worked perfectly every time dry or live fire.
3) Either of my magazines into my pistol had the identical problems as noted above.

I don't think it is anything I can fix. Wish he would have just traded me my magazines for his but understandable that he did not offer to do so.

I need the pistol for some training this coming w/e. My question is my dealer is only open on Friday-Sundays. Have never had a problem before. Am I to expect to be able to get a replacement from the dealer if he has one or will I likely have to send it to Ruger? I realize I may not have a working SR22 this w/e even though I need one. My main question is what help I should expect from my dealer or is he likely to send me to deal directly with Ruger?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

·
/Brownster/Blk Dynamite
1,128 Posts
Your best bet is to call ruger and tell them what's going on. They'll email you a return shipping label (no charge) and their turn around time right now is about 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Call Ruger first thing in the morning. Tell them what's going on, if magazine issue I would think they would just send you new ones and have u ship the defective ones. If gun issue they will provide u with a shipping label to ship overnight. Turnaround time 7-10 days as of now since I just sent mine in last Monday and coming back today. My issue was for takedown lever.Anyways Ruger is very good with their CS. If shipping gun ship with both mags.

·
Registered
59 Posts
BMax80 I am sorry that you have had nearly the same problem I had with my first SR22. Mine would not dry fire or fire, even the dealer tried to get it to fire no luck. Got mine from Gun Genie dealer which has a lifetime warranty/replacement. Mine was sent back and within one week I had a new SR22 that now has well over 1,000 rounds through it without any mechanical problems only ammo related issues that 22 cal has.
If the dealer won't give you a new one Ruger should fix or replace it in short order.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Bmax80
I have 2 SR22's check make sure your grip is all the way up on the frame and check the floor plates of your mags. It sounds like you have two problems because his mags work in your pistol and his work in yours. If that doesn't work call Ruger

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I've been lucky with mine so far. 800 rounds and just a few FTF due to the ammo I am sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Seemed to stump the CS rep why the gun would do this but so far the service is as good as everyone says it is. Ruger is going to send out 2 new magazines free of charge and when I told themm I purchased this firearm for a training class this weekend, the rep decided without me having to armtwist to use shipping to get them here by this weekend. Also, if I have this problem recur at anytime down the road, it will be taken care of. I therefore didn't even bother to contact the dealer.

Which does leave a little question in my mind about a dealers responsibility when there is a problem like this. What do you guys expect a dealer to do (if anything) when a firearm is defective out of the box?

·
Registered
223 Posts
good dealer

most good dealers will handle it for you, if they really value their customers! of course most of the big box stores tell you up front "you are on your own if there is a problem". a LGS should help you get everything straight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts