Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my SR22P apart for a cleaning yesterday, and looked at the firing pin protrusion, on my SP22P.

I did Not measure it cause it did not protrude when pushed to the forward position, past the bolt face.

Just for reference my 10/22 (I know they are different) has a .030 protrusion.

Seems like the SR22P has a Inertia driven firing pin.

If the SR22P hammer strikes the firing pin, and No protrusion, (due to it being dirty or tooling or burrs on the firing pin or recess) it must hit the firing pin very had to force it past the bolt face.

Or is this why i am having trouble with my SR22P

Has anyone else had light primer strikes their SR22P?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Hi westgl
I've got two SR22's with about 2500 rds thru each. I've had no problems at all. As a matter of fact. I put 600 rds thru one of them in one session with only five fail to fire ammo problem good strikes on the casings.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi gmsoapy,

That is GREAT!!!

That is what I want my SR22P to be.

What ammo are you using?

After cleaning, what gun oil are you using, where are you oiling your SR22P at ie: Slide rail, bottom of bolt, ??, and how much? I usually oil mine light a drop then wipe it with a patch.

Also do you do any cleaning at the range, wipe down feed ramp or anywhere else?

Do you Oil you SR22P while at the Range, if so about how far through 600 rounds do you oil it.

I can only get through about 3 mags in my SR22P (VERY upset about this) and mine is ready to be cleaned and done for the day.

BUT, my 22/45 LITE, I can shoot 2000+ rounds non-stop with a speed loader(3 second, 10 round loader) and it just keeps going, maybe a couple of FTF but that is probably just the ammo

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Hi Westgl
That day 500 rds of Federal bulk 36gr jhp Walmart and 100 rds CCI Mimi mags. I normally I just use Federal bulk. The oil I use is slip 2000 EWL ( extreme Weapons lub). I wet a patch with oil and lightly wipe everydown. Sometime I use a pin drop oiler along the rails. But I don't run it wet. As far cleaning at the range if I get one or two fail to feed I'll wipe down the feed ramp with a Qtip thru the ejection port. When I'm done and the barrel is still warm I'll run a bore snake thru it. But that's about all. I do feed strip and clean after every trip to the range. My two have both been like this right after the first cleaning. Which was done before I fired them for the first time. The reason I did the 600 rds was because my wife ( her first gun ) was having fail to feed problems which I tought she could be limp wirsting it. Which after the 600 rds I'm sure that was the problem. That day no oil no clean the feed ramp nothing.
Sorryy so long winded Hope this helps and good luck with yours as they are great little fun to shot guns.
Ps I see alot of MK's you have these are a little different. The slide moving is a little more mass the the bolts on the MK's. Also check your recoil spring to make sure it's fully seated turn it cw looking from the breach end . If your still getting light strikes I'd call Ruger CS
Ps Ps I just checked both my SR22's on neither one does the firing pin protrude. they both are slightly recessed in the bolt face

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi gmsoapy,

That is GREAT!!!

That is what I want my SR22P to be.

What ammo are you using?

After cleaning, what gun oil are you using, where are you oiling your SR22P at ie: Slide rail, bottom of bolt, ??, and how much? I usually oil mine light a drop then wipe it with a patch.

Also do you do any cleaning at the range, wipe down feed ramp or anywhere else?

Do you Oil you SR22P while at the Range, if so about how far through 600 rounds do you oil it.

I can only get through about 3 mags in my SR22P (VERY upset about this) and mine is ready to be cleaned and done for the day.

BUT, my 22/45 LITE, I can shoot 2000+ rounds non-stop with a speed loader(3 second, 10 round loader) and it just keeps going, maybe a couple of FTF but that is probably just the ammo
I go about 250 rounds of CCI Blazer before my SR22 even gets a touch dirty.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I had my SR22P apart for a cleaning yesterday, and looked at the firing pin protrusion, on my SP22P.

I did Not measure it cause it did not protrude when pushed to the forward position, past the bolt face.

Just for reference my 10/22 (I know they are different) has a .030 protrusion.

Seems like the SR22P has a Inertia driven firing pin.

If the SR22P hammer strikes the firing pin, and No protrusion, (due to it being dirty or tooling or burrs on the firing pin or recess) it must hit the firing pin very had to force it past the bolt face.

Or is this why i am having trouble with my SR22P

Has anyone else had light primer strikes their SR22P?
What find of trouble are you having?
What kind of ammo are you using?

I have no problem putting 250 rounds of Federal bulk through it. I don't normally shoot more than that in 1 session, but my last 2 sessions have had 0 malfunctions.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I started off shooting
Remington goldenbullets
Winchester white box
CCI Blazer

Those three really made all my 22 guns VERY Dirty

My SR22P would not shoot more than 5 mags of that dirty ammo (listed above) reliably.

I have been reviewing 22 ammo,

I bought,
200 rounds of CCI Mini Mag
2000 rounds of Fed Blue Box.

What a Major difference, In reliability, and accuracy, Much cleaner after 300 rounds through the SR22P today.

It was very accurate, the accuracy did not diminish after a few mags of ammo, like before,

I did not have one failure today, before I was having all kinds of failures, FTF FTE, stove pipes.

I understand that a new gun will run rough till broken in, but the new ammo made a Hugh difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts