Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have enjoyed my little SR22p since last year, firing 500+ rounds through it. Since the first few rounds of failure to feed, which turned out to be my fault in loading the mags, it shoots my favorite Federal Bulk red box flawlessly? carried it in my pocket when walking my dog and just enjoyed shooting it. Except...I am a long time owner of a Mark II tapered 6in barrel I've had for over 30 years. It's barrel-heavy balance have allowed me to amaze myself, when i do my part, and others who shot it. It's just a great pistol.

Well, my older son, who borrowed it for a couple of years when living in a rural area returned it and I continued shooting it every chance I got. He recently got married and wanted to "borrow" it again. I suspected I wouldn't see it again and that's alright since I plant to give he and his brother my guns when I kick the bucket. I love shooting my .22s and thought I would be completely happy shooting my SR22., my only .22 handgun. As time has past and I take the SR22 out to the range, I find the light weight, my increased shakeyness and trigger pull prevents me from achieving the kind of groups I expect from myself.

About a week ago I started thinking about a MkII or MkIII, specifically looking for a MKII Bull Barrel or another tapered 6in. So, I decided to go to a nearby gun show to sell a Savage .22mag rifle and decided to take the SR22 along to possibly trade. As soon as I walked in the door a couple of dealers were interested in the SR22 but were low-balling the price. So, I continued walking, sold the rifle to a guy who likes .22mags and kept looking for decent MKII BB. No luck. Then I started looking at the MKIII 22/45s which has the similar grip of my SR1911. While looking, still carrying the SR22, a guy displaying what appeared to be a small private collection, ask to see my Ruger. He made me a nice cash offer and I sold it. A couple of tables over a large dealer had several MKIIIs, a 22/45 with a 5in Bull Barrel, two mags and a scope mount. With money buring my pocket, the nice feel and the heavy barrel...that's it.

I bring the little jewel home and remembering the horror stories on Ruger Forum, I read the manual and proceed to disassemble and clean. I figured I wouldn't have a major problem having owned a MKII for many year. I got out my rubber hammer, teflon dowel-size small rod, paper clip and proceeded. Well damn, that new pistol is tight. That dude has several little thangs different. Magazine in, then out, bolt release down, point at the ceiling point down. OK. With disassembly, cleaning well and reassembling it took me nearly an hour. I have it now and will do it all over after a trip to the range. I don't expect the challenge or time from now on. Dry firing, the weight and balance already feels good. I'm anxious to see how after a couple of hundred rounds how it shoots. I think it will be a while before it wears in and before the upper receiver comes off without a smart whack with a rubber hammer.

I'll provide a range report later.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I believe you now have the better handgun.
Congratulations, enjoy.
Once you've been through the disassembley / reassembley thing once, it's not a big deal.
That might be a 5 1/2 " you have there also.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Corn grats,

I have both the SR22P, yea it's ok, size is small, that's the only + on the 22/45

But the 22/45 is By Far a MUCH, MUCH BETTER gun in all respects except size that is a +/- , 22/45 has a longer sight radius, Sights dont Move, just the internal Bolt moves, less felt recoil

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have an SR22P and 4 Mark series pistols. By far the Mark is a better pistol, as far as accuracy. The SR22P is paper plate accurate(8") at 25 yards. The Marks are Post-It Note(3"x3") accurate at 25 yards. The Marks have the ability to mount a scope, and have The Ultimate ClipLoader available as an accessory. I was really excited when the SR22P was announced, so much so that I bought one as soon as I could, but after shooting it, was disapointed with its accuracy. Sure, Its a fun plinker, and I guess a decent CCW gun(Maybe a .22 for some people, but NO .22 for me) but only accurate guns are interesting to me. My wife shoots it and likes it, but I feel no love for my SR22P.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an SR22P and 4 Mark series pistols. By far the Mark is a better pistol, as far as accuracy. The SR22P is paper plate accurate(8") at 25 yards. The Marks are Post-It Note(3"x3") accurate at 25 yards. The Marks have the ability to mount a scope, and have The Ultimate ClipLoader available as an accessory. I was really excited when the SR22P was announced, so much so that I bought one as soon as I could, but after shooting it, was disapointed with its accuracy. Sure, Its a fun plinker, and I guess a decent CCW gun(Maybe a .22 for some people, but NO .22 for me) but only accurate guns are interesting to me. My wife shoots it and likes it, but I feel no love for my SR22P.
I took the Mark III 22/45 target to the range on Tuesday, shot a couple of hundreds rounds through it. It's much tighter than the 30 yo Mark II, but the similarity of the 1911 grip felt right at home. I thought I would miss the little SR22. Nope, not at all. I am very pleased with the Mark III exchange for the SR22. I'll have to get use to the stiff trigger pull and darn magazine safey. I know trigger pull, disassembly, reassembly will smooth out. In the meantime, I get to improve my bad groups I had with the SR22. There's just Something About the Marks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a SR22P, and I like it. A lot. It's a fun plinker.

I also have a Mark III 22/45 Lite. I'd heard horror stories about how difficult they were to disassemble, and reassemble.

That has not been my experience. I didn't need to bang it apart with a hammer. At first, it WAS tight, but not THAT tight.

Reassembly WAS tricky at first, until I figured out how to do it. There are YouTube videos that will show you the tricks.

I can strip it down, clean it, and put it back together now as fast as any gun that I own.

Either the SR22P, or a Mark III 22/45 should serve you well, depending on it's intended purpose.

Thanks,

Duane

1 - 6 of 6 Posts