Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a SR22P, 2nd time to the range, cleaned the gun as i always do before shooting. 1st time to the range started off good, but it got dirty fast maybe 100-200rounds and then dirty and in-accurate and un-reliable lots of FTF & FTE, Stove Pipes every few rounds.

I dont consider it a Stuff happens Gun or even a back up, or even a backup to the back up Yet!

The problem is i cannot shoot it and have it be reliable.

I cannot count on my SR22P for reliability.

I want to be able to shoot 500 rounds through any gun before having to take it down for a cleaning, Maybe a wipe down at the range, clean feed ramp, inside ejection port, but have minimum issues with it.

My Issues were probably ammo related. I do not Limp wrist shoot, and i have checked for burrs in the slide area.

The SR22P is the only gun i have that gives up reliability in a short time at the range, it gets dirty very Quickly, and there goes its accuracy and reliability.

I have been testing some difference ammo through The SR22P, I have some Federal Blue Box (this should be a cleaner & more reliable ammo)to shoot through it next trip to the range.

This is some of the ammo I have used.

1. Remington Golden bullets shoot good, BUT are VERY Dirty (this may be the culprit)
2. Winchester White Box These also shoot good but are VERY Dirty
3. Blazer CCI these shoot for a Very Short time, gunk up the gun Fast, making it a waxie mess, (I will not use BLAZER again Ever in any of my guns) VERRY DIRTY.
4. Federal Brown box shot well, and seemed some what cleaner.

I have not tried CCI Mini Mags yet.

But My 22/45 Lite, shoots anything all the time, For a Long Time, and stays reliable and Accurate.

I shot 2000+ rounds through my 22/45 Lite 2 days ago I had 3 FTF and that was it. using all the ammo listed above to see if it would do it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have both a SR22P, and a Mark III 22/45 Lite.

Neither is PERFECT. But I sure won't call either of them BAD.

If you want a perfect gun, you're gonna' have to shell out the big bucks.

Even then, it's a crap shoot. I've known of people who've spent THOUSANDS on a handgun, and still ended up dissatisfied.

Duane

·
Registered
187 Posts
I guess in a Stuff happens situation i could always use it as a rock and throw it, after 100 shots or so, when it gets dirty.

I am Not saying the SR22P is a bad Gun, just not great, it is just OK, more like a girl I used to date, very needy, with not a lot of return

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I think you are on the right path with the ammo thing. I've seen horrid result with the Rem Gold bullets, a little better with the Winchester (but not much). Most of the other brands are better with CCI Mini Mags being tops. Clean and accurate.

If you want very clean and accurate ammo, I use the CCI Green Label. The cost is not cheap and so I only use it for competition. VERY consistent and accurate. Federal Blue boxes and Red Boxes are pretty similar to one another and while slightly dirtier than CCI, it's nothing like Remington Golden.

The CCI bulk sold as "Tactical" is pretty similar to the Mini Mag sold in 100 count boxes. I find it ok and cheaper than MM.

The next thing to consider is how you are prepping the gun. I find using any grease on 22's result in FTL. Oil only. I use Break Free CLP. I'm also generous with the oil.

If you find that you are getting a lot of FTL, put a few drops of oil on the slides, work it in (you will feel a change after a couple cycles). You might put a couple drops on the recoil spring guide too. Shoot it a lot. After a brick or two, you will see a big change in it.

Another thing I avoid in ammo are hollow points - round heads are king. In all autos they feed better than HP.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Now the 22/45 Lite in comparison is Like Night and Day.

That thing will shoot 2000 rounds still Great, only 3 FTF 4-1/2 hours of Non stop shooting with a speed Loader and no Breaks.

I consider the 22/45 Lite In a GREAT Gun Catagory
But the SR22P is Only in a OK catagory for Now

·
/Brownster/Blk Dynamite
1,128 Posts
As far as inaccuracies in firing were you using all lead bullets with no copper plating? You could have had some lead buildup in the barrel. As far as the gun getting dirty 22lr is just a dirty round. CCI is arguably the best 22lr round out there. The only ammo I've had trouble with is winchester super x high velocity.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Stargeezer,

I will try your recommendations.

I do like the SR22P and hope I can find the recipe for what it likes. I am sure that it will respond to to your suggestions.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I guess in a SHTF situation i could always use it as a rock and throw it, after 100 shots or so, when it gets dirty.

I am Not saying the SR22P is a bad Gun, just not great, it is just OK, more like a girl I used to date, very needy, with not a lot of return
With all respect, in a SHTF situation, I sure as heck won't be depending on ANY .22LR pistol.

In my mind, .22LR pistols are simply inexpensive practice guns. An occasional FTF/FTE is also good for practice, should the S ever HTF. :eek:

Though I don't expect it to, not in my lifetime, at least.

I shoot just because I enjoy it. Not because I fear a SHTF situation.

Duane

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I would try a couple of things. First, try shooting a couple hundred rounds of CCI mini mags.

Also, I'd try two extremes of lubricating. I'd try using a lot of oil. Then I'd try spraying down the whole thing with Ballistol and then wiping it all off. See whether it prefers running wet or dry.

Lastly, I'd also try Frog Lube. Haven't used any myself, but lotsa folks are raving about it.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
My S&W Model 22A won't run if it's too dirty just like any other semi. Maybe 300 rounds but it depends the ammo. Aprila is the worst I've shot. CCI is better by a good amount but .22LR is just about as dirty as you can get. Remington is somewhere in the middle.

Make sure your gun is DRY too. Don't over lube... Oil will hold the burn powder in place and make it much worse.

The only other ammo I've heard of that the use complained about being dirty was some cheap COMBLOC (a redundant description) stuff.

My 10/22 will run and run no matter what.

My Single Six used to jam up after 20-40 rounds due to an un-square frame. The cylinder counter-bored holes would fill with junk. Then the rounds would not seat fully which lead to their hang up on the frame when the cylinder rotated. Some fine file work seems to have done the trick.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have to admit I have been trying to run my SR22P fairly dry, very light oil then wipe it down, I figured the oil would attract more dirt causing more of a problem.

After it is cleaned it starts off good but then must be getting dry, or dirty from the other dirty bullets being used, after around 2-3 mags, then gets worse.

I will have to try to see what it likes.

Starting point

1. Federal Blue box
2. I may bring Gun oil with me to the range, and try a quick clean, re-lube, at the start of any troubles
I have Hoppes #9 gun lube and Hoppes Elite gun Oil, I will get some Breakfree CLP, I think i have a Froglube dealer near me.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I agree with those that recommended CCI Mini Mag .22LR. It is the cleanest
.22 cal. round available. If your gun doesn't run on Mini Mags, it isn't going to run on anything.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I've got 2 Sr22's and I find both of them to run very clean on federal bulk red box walmart. i've run 600 rds thru each in one session with only 5 fail to fire. Out of 1100 rds.
Make sure your recoil spring is fully seated on the guide rod and stays there. As far as accurate. If I work at I can take out empty 12 ga shells at about 50'. With such short barrels and sight radius you can't expect much. I can usally got them in the ten ring at 30' without much work. An other good round if you can find them is winchester M22's almost as good as CCI mini mags at $47 per 1000 at Walmart. i don't even buy Remmington hate that stuff. i little note Federal Blue box and Federal red box are the same ammo just different packing. I got that from Federal rep.Red box Walmart, Blue box sporting goods stores.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I picked up my SR22P and took a bore brush to it and wiped it down at the range and shot 200 rounds through it today. I used Federal Champion HP ammo and it was relatively clean. I had a couple FTF due to probably bad ammo not to spec. Other than that it was flawless.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks to all that have posted, this is great info.

Hey GMSoapy,

I usually shoot 10" square steel plates 20 yards, then i set out my own targets at 10 yards and 5 yards.

The SR22P is accurate I can hit the steel plate at 20 yards for about 2-3 mags then the gun just starts to get less and less accurate the more i shoot.

But i have been taking my 22/45Lite, I am getting 10/10 strikes on steel with it at 20 yards and grouping is pretty good, and that is almost as fast as i can pull the trigger.

The SR22P does require more concentration to hit target at 20 yards, at this distance do to a shorter sight radius and a moving slide vs a bolt, thats ok but to have the accuracy fall off like that was weird.

At least I have a good starting point

I just picked up three bricks of Federal Blue, so ill be shooting with in the next few days

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am going to clean the guns tomorrow, I hate to shine a bore light in the SR22P, I can imagine those blazers and Winchester Golden bullets are nasty.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Try FrogLube. Most any other CLP will attract dirt. FrogLube will not. I've been using it several months now and could not be more pleased.

If nothing else, check out their website at www.froglube.com. It couldn't hurt!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts