Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bout 500 or so rounds thru my sr40. After a couple mags it sometimes fails to extract the casing all the way from the chamber. I feild strip and clean often. Hoping I don't have to send it away. Let me know what u guys think.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
First step is to check the extractor and look for buildup of "crud" or possible damage.

It takes surprisingly little dirt under the extractor hook to make it release the casing too early. Another possible explanation for the pistol to suddenly start having extraction problems is damage to the extractor - use a bright light and a magnifying glass to look at the hook to see if a bit has broken off.

Jim

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Thanks, I'm guna take it off and see what I'm up against.
You should be able to see the extractor well enough by just taking off the slide and looking from the bottom.

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clean and ready to go. Guna go to the range soon. If the problem reoccurs do you all think time for new extractor? Or ejector? Or both and the spring?

·
Banned
650 Posts
Your chamber could be nasty. Use your favorite bore cleaner to give the chamber a good scrubbing. Often extractor damage is hard to spot. Sometimes you only see a shiny spot on an extractor that appears to be undamaged. I would not hesitate to send the gun back to Ruger. If the gun is new Ruger will pay shipping both ways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts