Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an SR40c last July, and I really like it. It is accurate and very reliable, i.e. it feeds very consistently and plain old just works. Also, I am particularly enamored with the fit and finish on the SR40c and the balance and feel of the weapon.

I have not been shooting it much since August for various reasons but I intend to rectify this. I am about to start a practice regime with the SR40c. My question is a simple one. Is the SR40c design robust enough for this to be a range gun? In other words, is the SR40c a gun like my 45s (1911 style) which can be fired for 10,000-20,000 round before any parts need replacing? How rugged is this design? I am new to polymer guns.

Thanks for any opinions and experiences.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have only put about 300 trouble free rounds through my SR40. But many others on this forum talk about many thousands of trouble free rounds.

One fellow even bragged about 7,000 rounds without cleaning. I don't recommend this.

When you say "range gun", do you mean range only use? The reason I ask is most folks would consider the SR9c better suited as a "range gun" due mainly to the lower cost of 9mm ammunition.

I bought my SR 40 primarily as a home/self defense weapon, thus the S&W 40 ammunition. I pay the extra cost at the range to get the extra power for SD.

If I were to buy a gun to use only at the range, it would be 9 mm or even .22 caliber.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
I picked up an SR40c last July, and I really like it. It is accurate and very reliable, i.e. it feeds very consistently and plain old just works. Also, I am particularly enamored with the fit and finish on the SR40c and the balance and feel of the weapon.

I have not been shooting it much since August for various reasons but I intend to rectify this. I am about to start a practice regime with the SR40c. My question is a simple one. Is the SR40c design robust enough for this to be a range gun? In other words, is the SR40c a gun like my 45s (1911 style) which can be fired for 10,000-20,000 round before any parts need replacing? How rugged is this design? I am new to polymer guns.

Thanks for any opinions and experiences.
That is a top quality gun in my opinion. I don't know how many on here have shot 10-20,000 rounds but the only way to find out is to shoot it and take care of it like you should. That is what it's for, shooting. If something goes bad, Ruger will take care of you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've shot about 1500 rounds out of my SR9C so far with no problems. I also own a P97 which is one of Rugers first polymer guns with well over 10000 rounds through it. If anything it just gets more accurate and smoother over time. I may replace the springs in it soon, but nothing wrong with the main parts of the gun at all.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I think the recoil spring would be a candidate for replacement around 3000 rounds.

No official word from Ruger on that... but other similar models by other companies seem to run best when that is done.

Last I checked it is a $5 part.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the SR9C and it has 4200 rounds without a failure. Ruger replied to an e-mail and said I should not even condider a recoil spring until later (chaged mine after 4000 rounds)

I bought it to shoot and that is what I do...

Enjoy .. ruged as hell

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got my SR40C back in August, with the exception of issues with a fully loaded magazine not engaging I have had no other problems or concerns with the gun and love the way it shoots.
If MD ever expands their conceal carry law, the SR40C will be on my side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts