Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently obtained a sr45 and i was out shooting it today, It fired just fine until ran into some trouble. I loaded a full magazine and was shot 2 rounds, and dropped the magazine out because I was going to try and clear it and pack it up to go home the problem is i couldnt rack the slide back to clear it and no luck, the safety was off so i pulled trigger to fire the round it but no luck.

So now the round is stuck in the chamber, chamber indicator is up, and the striking pin is forward. The slide only comes back bout a quarter of an inch I believe and thats it. Any suggestions? My buddy suggested clamping the slide and smacking back of grip with a mallet with the muzzle in a safe direction.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm no expert, but it sounds like the ejector is in the take down position, look up the mag well to see if it is.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm no expert, but it sounds like the ejector is in the take down position, look up the mag well to see if it is.
I tried mine with the ejector down and the slide will still move back out of battery.

Could the slide stop be bent? You should be able to see what is going on if you look up the mag well with a flashlight.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You pulled the trigger without a mag in it and the mag safety stopped the striker. You might have a cartridge that is to long and stuck in the rifling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It did have an issue earlier of the slider returning home when you tap a magazine in, could that be related? The magazine was loaded and the slide stop was engaged, and the magazine would send it home with a fresh round chambered.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Boy what a pickle, I can't recommend doing anything but take it to a qualified gunsmith, at least he is covered insurance-wise. Ruger won't accept the gun back with a live round in the chamber, but I would call them and take it to whoever they recommend so it won't void your warranty if the gunsmith damages it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
A similar situation happened to me yesterday with my SR9. I couldn't lock the slide back because of a jammed casing. I pushed the opposite end of the extractor into the slide while racking the slide. That worked after a couple of tries. The casing was stuck real good and it the primer had been struck by the striker, but I wasn't 100% sure whether or not it was a live round. I removed the casing with a dowel placed down the barrel while pushing it against a wall. Fortunately, out popped an empty casing. Be careful. I'd take it to a gunsmith if you're not successful with unjamming it.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
1 Posts
Years later but this just happened to me, though luckily no chambered round, so for future use, if anyone else has this issue into the future. Using the glock takedown method, the one handed half-cock, get the slide back as far as it will go. Take a solid soft pry tool or a flat screw driver and slowly work the take down pin out, working as far forward on the take down pin as possible. You can also try tapping the pin out from the other side. This should release the slide forward and off the frame. Doing that will drag the mag ejector arm down and out of the way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts