Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall what's the better pistol?
Accuracy
Trigger
Feel
Recoil

Love to own both,but that's not in the budget....
Need some help on this one

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I have a couple of SR40 - a full size I gave to my dad and a compact I use for carry purposes so that's the extent of my experience with something similar to the SR45. I like them. Very accurate, nice trigger, good guns. But I love my SR1911s. If I had to choose between the two you propose I would go SR1911 but I admit to having never shot the SR45 so perhaps that's unfair. But I do so love the SR1911. Did I mention I love my SR1911?

If at all possible try to shoot both before you decide.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
that would be subjective. 1911's are generally less forgiving in terms of ammo. the SR45 will eat anything within spec. the SR45 has a ten round capacity, the 1911 7/8. the SR45 and the SR1911 both have good triggers, just different. the SR45 and the SR1911 are both accurate, I shoot the SR45 better than perhaps any pistol I own. that is probably due to my use of striker fired pistols for the last several years, and not shooting the
1911's as often.
if your intent is carry, perhaps the polymer frame and capacity will be better. there is not a bad choice here. 1911's have been around for a long time and there are all sorts of accessories for them, from after market parts to holsters, everything in between. the SR45 is about the easiest to shoot well 45 I have encountered. start with one and save up for the other, after all they use the same caliber. how good is it that we live in a country that this conversation is relevant?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I own a SR1911 TALO finished in black Nitride with night sights. I compared that against a Colt and a stainless steel SR1911. TALO did some work on the trigger, it is smooth without any creep. I traded in a Kimber with laser sight in the grip and $50. I had the Kimber for 5 years and the smaller length of the grip made it hard to fire comfortably. I tried differ loads and I never did come up with a good solution. The Kimber has a shorter barrel and was easier to conceal. In the end, if you are not comfortable shooting a gun, it is time to get one that you are comfortable shooting. I love shooting the SR1911 NWCS by TALO.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
marxman said:
Overall what's the better pistol?
That is a question only you can answer, because it will be the one that
you end up liking better. I shoot the 1911 better, but that's me.
Only a nat's eyebrow of difference, and most of that in how well you do
with a single action trigger vs a striker fired.
> > > MY < < < preference is for the single action of a 1911, but, as
suggested above, it would be best for you to shoot both to see what
"trips your trigger". ;)
Strictly an individual preference item. I like the 1911.
Perceived recoil is just that. What . . you . . think/feel will decide that.

One thing that I recommend to anyone that will listen is the HOGUE 45090
grip panels. I like them for the built in palm swell. Seems to fill my hand
better and gives me a more comfortable hold. :cool:

How's that for a non answer, answer? :D

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'm just partial to the SR1911. Years ago when I gripped my first 1911 I knew John Moses designed it for me. It fit perfectly. I do not perceive any significant recoil plus I love the look of a full size 1911 and it is fun to shoot (but expensive).

The more I think about it, I'm too biased to give an honest comparison. So I'll just shut up.

·
Registered
793 Posts
They are very different pistols. The question asks for a subjective answer that is personal preference in nature. I love my SR45 and my 1911, but they shoot, handle, and feel nothing like each other. The obvious differences are SR45 is lighter, holds more in the magazine, striker fired, thicker grip. SR1911 is a bit heavier, slimmer grip, holds less rounds, and SAO hammer fired. In all honesty, I like shooting my 1911 better, but carry the SR45 more often.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Im not a big fan of the 1911 platform, but here are the first shots from my SR1911 at 25 yards. I think that answers any question about accuracy...

Im sure the SR45 will shoot just as good as the SR1911. Its just what platform do you think will suite you better?

I also have all three of the different P Series Ruger pistols in 45acp. They all shoot just as well as my 1911, so I think theres no doubt Ruger knows how to build an accurate 45

·
Registered
746 Posts
Im not a big fan of the 1911 platform, but here are the first shots from my SR1911 at 25 yards. I think that answers any question about accuracy...

Im sure the SR45 will shoot just as good as the SR1911. Its just what platform do you think will suite you better?

I also have all three of the different P Series Ruger pistols in 45acp. They all shoot just as well as my 1911, so I think theres no doubt Ruger knows how to build an accurate 45

good shooting!

·
Registered
331 Posts
You're either a 1911 fan or your not. I've owned several over the years (still have one) but have never been enamored by them. I guess I've been swayed by the ease of maintenance and take-down of modern day "plastic" guns. The way to get around the anguish of trying to decide which to get is to get them both. Not right today mind you, but somewhere down the road. :)

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Possibly if you have a range that rents, you can give them both a test run.

Guns & Ammo has an article on their website comparing both when they came out.

My initial answer would be a 1911 first, if you don't have one already, but I really have loved the platform for years & carried 1 in the military.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you already have a striker fired handgun go with the 1911. Only problem will be you will love the 1911 trigger and have to do trigger jobs on all your striker fired handguns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts