Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have feedback on Ruger's drop in trigger for the SR556? im not looking for a Match trigger and the higher price that comes with them.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Not the best, not the most expensive, but a fairly decent all around replacement.

That said, figure out what you don't like about the factory trigger and fix that to meet your needs. Never just buy a trigger group because you might like it.

Jeff

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not the best, not the most expensive, but a fairly decent all around replacement.

That said, figure out what you don't like about the factory trigger and fix that to meet your needs. Never just buy a trigger group because you might like it.

Jeff
Jeff, my stock trigger is abysmal compared to the stock trigger on my '80's Colt Carbine. I certainly don't want a target/competition trigger. My stock trigger take up seems mushy and heavy, like 9 or so pounds. What is a good trigger weight for a defensive carbine? And, if not a Ruger drop in, what does the collective recommend for my application. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I tend to prefer a trigger job to a drop-in trigger, but that may not be the best option for you based on gunsmith availability and cost. The Ruger BX trigger will feel better than the stock trigger for you and may feel lighter. Without actually measuring you won't know the actual weight, but it's really the feel that matters anyway.

I usually won't take a trigger below about five pounds for defensive use, maybe down to three and a half for plinking and range. Lighter, as well as set triggers, two stage and so on are for bench use.

Jeff

·
Registered
17,258 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
My SR-556CLA trigger is TERRIBLE!!! For what Ruger charges they should have sprung for a better trigger. That being said, I'm looking at the geissele, the ACT by ALG, and I've read good stuff about the Velocity trigger.

And I feel it should be said again, for what Ruger charges for the SR rifles, they should put a better trigger in it. The ALG trigger is only $69 and I'm sure Ruger would getit cheaper than that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, gentleman my, thanks! Great choices from all. A quick look of each of the triggers mentioned has me leaning towards the Geissele. Granted, it's a little pricier than the Ruger, but appears to offer what I'm looking for. Also I hadn't bought of the re-set feature, so, with that and a 5-6 lb trigger it's looking good.

I paid $700 for my CLA, NIB at a special,Black Friday Sale, so spending a bit more for a trigger still has me WAY under what it's going for at your LGS and certainly below Ruger's MSRP.

I will keep you gent posted.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Look at hyperfire triggers

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have the ALG and for the price it's hard to beat. It's basically a cleaned up military trigger.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ALG-Combat-Trigger-ACT-p/alg-combat-trigger-(act).htm
That's pretty much exactly what it is, a standard trigger that's been given a standard trigger job. Usually something your gunsmith can do better, at about the same price.

The factory trigger in most AR rifles is not great, you're not paying for it to be. Besides, for everyone who wants an ALG trigger, there are a dozen who want a different one.

People rarely hate the replacement triggers they buy, but most don't have a frame of reference to judge. They choose by reviews others have done, many of whom share the same lack of reference.

Unless you try every option, you'll never know you made the right choice.

Jeff

·
Registered
253 Posts

Jeff
I put an alg defense combat trigger in my sr556 with the 4.5 lb spring. It does come with a 6.5 lb spring as well. It's not really a drop in unit but was easy enough to install. I did have to put some anti walk pins in though as one was working itself out after a couple rounds. Not a bad upgrade for less than $70.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's pretty much exactly what it is, a standard trigger that's been given a standard trigger job. Usually something your gunsmith can do better, at about the same price.

Jeff

The parts are Teflon and nickel boron coated and a bit harder based on the Rockwell scores.

My concern was some triggers are not part for part compatible with the standard military. This one is and I didn't need the gunsmith to do a trigger job. Could a gun smith do a better job. Probably or one could do it themselves too.

This is a pretty good tutorial on triggers.

http://www.brownells.com/GunTech/An-Easy-AR-15-Trigger-Job/detail.htm?lid=10314

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an AR556 that the factory trigger was awful. I thought about installing a drop in trigger but finances are kind of short. I was talking with a friend who suggested I install a set of JP Enterprises yellow springs. Picked up a set at a LGS for under $15.00. Took about 10 minutes to install them.
Prior to installing the new springs the trigger pull was 6 /12-7#s. After I installed the new springs the trigger pull is 4-4 1/2#s.
Some people state they have failure to fire with the reduced springs and JP Enterprises recommend you do not use them with NATO ammunition.
I have fired over 500 rounds through my rifle using commercial ammo and reloads with Winchester, Remington, and CCI primers and have not had a single failure to fire.

There was still some play in the trigger so I installed a trigger adjustment screw and I am very satisfied with the trigger pull now. My accuracy with the rifle is much better now also.

Here's a youtube video of a guy who sells them and shows the installation:
https://youtu.be/wnc43jQm56A

Here is info on JP Enterprises springs:
JP Enterprises Trigger Spring Kit AR-15 3-1/2 lb Reduced Power

·
"The Real Deal"
8,041 Posts
Look at hyperfire triggers
What he said^^^^^^ 24e is the best I have ever used, compared to the ar gold, timney, gieselle, and many others that costed 1/3 more. For $120 I like the rra national match 2 stage, around 4.5lbs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know much about the SR5.56, does it use a standard AR trigger? if it does I really like the ALG Defense ACT trigger I put in my AR, breaks at a crisp, clean 4lbs everytime

1 - 20 of 20 Posts