Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this is my first and only rifle, I'm new to the game. The book and Ruger says no copper brushes down the barrel. What do you do to clean your sr556?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,034 Posts
marxman, First of all, you posted this thread in the wrong forum. It should be in the Maintenance Forum .... not the Semi-Auto forum. As soon as I finish this post, I will move it for you.

The next issue is ... no where in the Ruger instruction manual does it say NOT to use a copper brush. Fact is, bore brushes aren't copper anyway .... they are bronze. The cleaning instructions say to use a bore brush wetted with solvent.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
marxman, First of all, you posted this thread in the wrong forum. It should be in the Maintenance Forum .... not the Semi-Auto forum. As soon as I finish this post, I will move it for you.

The next issue is ... no where in the Ruger instruction manual does it say NOT to use a copper brush. Fact is, bore brushes aren't copper anyway .... they are bronze. The cleaning instructions say to use a bore brush wetted with solvent.
As the great Jack Benny used to say, "well....."

I think that pretty much covers this issue. Thanks, Iowegan.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember the video on ruger ,the guy was saying only use a bore brush if necessary. I just don't want to damage anything

·
17,034 Posts
marxman,
,the guy was saying only use a bore brush if necessary
That a far cry from your first post but is still way off the chart. If you take everyone's suggestions literally, you would never buy a gun .... but if you did, you would never shoot it, and if you did, you would never use anything harsher than a soft piece of jersey T shirt to clean it. Fact is .... bronze bore brushes have been used for about a century and so far, there is nothing to suggest they do any damage to a bore. Let's not be making mountains out of molehills!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
then dont use a bore brush...

This is your first long gun so here is my .02 worth of advice.
1) clean it first thing when new.
2) clean it again "as needed"

As needed is relative to each shooter. I like to clean after each day in the field but thats just me. I use frog lube so my cleaning involves dry patching a hot barrel at the range and then a moist patch (with frog lube) goes down the barrel a few times. The bolt and everything else gets a dry cloth wipe down and they look as good as new.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
You need to clean the gas block/piston block. Every time.

·
17,034 Posts
marxman, You have a vey nice (and very expensive) rifle ... worthy of taking good care of. The instruction manual and Ruger's video should provide excellent guidance. If there's something you don't understand or are afraid to tackle, there are a lot of shops specializing in ARs that can help.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was just wondering if anyone uses a bore snake or brush on their sr556 barrel. I maintain my rifle, I as well use frog's lube. ... I'm just wondering how everyone else maintains their sr556

1 - 12 of 12 Posts