Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mine was a low S/N and had to go back to the factory. The replacement rifle has been flawless, although I have not put a huge number of rounds through it.

Would be interested to hear what has been other people's experiences after shooting a SR762 for a while.

Considering picking up another.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I would be surprised to hear that they have been anything but durable and long lasting and reliable.

What I am curious to know is what was wrong with some of the earlier serial number rifles. There were several long running threads here with complaints about the SR-762. Ruger seems to have ironed out the bugs. But what were the bugs?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not cycling. Undergassed?

I suspect that once the problem was identified and fixed, everything has been good to go. Otherwise, I would expect to be reading of current problems. But thought it was worth asking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No issues here either. 300+ rounds through it just last weekend, super reliable! Everyone loves shooting it! Go buy one!!!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to hear. At some point (when cash and "good deal" intersect), I will probably pick up a second one.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I would be surprised to hear that they have been anything but durable and long lasting and reliable.

What I am curious to know is what was wrong with some of the earlier serial number rifles. There were several long running threads here with complaints about the SR-762. Ruger seems to have ironed out the bugs. But what were the bugs?
I doubt if we'll ever get an honest answer. Seems to be another mystery of the century.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Mine is great also but don't shoot it a huge amount. Probably have only put about 2K rounds through it without looking at my notes. I bought it a scope, bipod and sling swivel over time. I am impressed with it. I am hoping to pick up a precision rifle in the future so it will probably get shot less.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found a pretty good deal. With the Dems having a good chance to win the White House (sadly) and pack the Supreme Court, decided to go ahead and pull the trigger.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Admittedly I don't have a high number of rounds (about six hundred rounds since Ruger replaced the first bolt carrier group) through mine but I have noticed two things. The firing pin has visible peening from hitting the retaining cotter pin. And very noticeable erosion of the chroming on the front of the bolt carrier group.

While I'm not too concerned about the firing pin issue (the cotter pin is not being damaged. Go figure) I am wondering if anyone is seeing similar erosion on the bolt carrier group.

Other than that it has functioned just fine.

Scott

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Found a pretty good deal. With the Dems having a good chance to win the White House (sadly) and pack the Supreme Court, decided to go ahead and pull the trigger.
I'd give it a good "hard" break-in (NOT a beating), to see how it holds up and functions. That way IF there were any problems, you could get it fixed before "they" (politics), decide to "switch the deck" and change the rules again.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ruger replaced my first SR762 (low S/N) with a new one. No problems with the new one. Ruger threw in some extra mags and a case. Super fast turnaround. Excellent CS.

Good advice on putting some extra rounds through it. Good excuse, too, for a little extra range time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Issues right out of the box for me

FYI, new to forum and unfortunately my first post is not a favorable one:

4/23 - I purchased one with 562-08XXX and sent it to Ruger today (4/25) unfortunately. Three different ammo manufacturers (Federal American Eagle OTM, Hornady BTHP, and PPU all 168gr). Piston on #2. First time out didn't clean it, after 4-5 rounds a single FTE (Hornady) where the spent brass was standing up in ejection port and new round in chamber with bolt 3/4 closed. Tried different brass and another new mag, after 4-5 rounds another single FTE (Federal) same as first one. So, 2 out of 40rds FTE.

Took it home and cleaned it up.

4/25 - Back to first mag with PPU, loaded mag, slammed bolt, pulled trigger - "Click"
Pulled the mag, charging handle needed a lot of effort to get bolt open to manual extract un-fired round. At this point I was concerned to even use the weapon. Pulled carrier out and inspected, nothing I could see having issues. Selected new mag of the three and loaded only ten Federal. Fired all ten rounds without issue. Inserted mag with PPU, slammed bolt, removed mag in order to check extraction prior to firing, charging handle again was difficult to pull back but successful. Got off 3-4 rounds then single FTE. At that point I had enough. Collected spent brass and inspected. This one attached obviously indicates something is not right with bolt or extractor. Many others had part of mouth leaned in and multiple nicks on mouth. Some dragging or scoring on length of brass. Noticed live rounds that were extracted had some scoring on the jacket. Something is dragging.

Sent back entire package with spent brass for Ruger to inspect. So far I'm pleased with response. We shall see.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With that S/N, I recommend politely and firmly requesting a replacement rifle. Let them know that you have read of many reports of problems with the low S/N's.

Ruger will make it right.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Now I am really curious. Is anyone else showing erosion of the chrome on the front of the bolt carrier group?
Looking at the picture, the erosion doesn't seem severe right now. But I'm wondering how many more rounds before it is completely gone from the leading edges.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts