Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
My SR9 has over 1000 rounds on it. I have some very slight peening. Not anything close to what you have. I know peening does happen and is normal. But what you have on 200 rounds seems excessive. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I had the same thing happen. I called Ruger and they asked me to email them pictures. Once they saw it, they sent me a prepaid shipping label to send it in. 2 weeks later, I received it back with a new barrel and new slide. Mine didn't start doing it until about 1K rounds. I would definitely contact Ruger.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
That looks worse than what i would call normal wear. That chunk taken out of the slide makes me think that the barrel isn't sitting deep enough in the cam block. Or the cam block is too high. I would call Ruger service and be sure to mention the condition of the slide.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Mine peened when new and concerned me. After shooting it a bit, it wore in and functions fine. The area where the barrel and slide contact increased as the pistol wore in as they were not quite square with each other when machined. I just lightly filed away the flash formed during breakin and any flashed metal is slight at this point.

It has never failed to fire or eject throughout the process.

It has a strong warrenty and Ruger said that if the problem progressed they would repair it. I do not believe it will ever be a problem now that it has been broken in.

By all means talk to their customer service folks if it concerns you. They are very helpful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I should say that I've had one SR9 and two SR9c's and none of them had peening. My wife carries her SR9c. Mine is just for the kids to shoot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have noticed very slight peening on the barrel hoods of my SR40c and SR9c so I am not alarmed by the wear on the barrel but IMHO the wear on the slide would be enough to send the gun in. I don't feel that the wear on the slide is normal at all.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've read quite a bit about barrel peening and have it on my SR9c. If I hadn't read about it I'm not sure when or if I would have noticed. I had about 200 rounds through when I noticed and now have close to 4000 through without a single problem. I've kept an eye on it and it isn't getting worse. The SR's have been out a few years now so I was wondering if any failures due to peening have been reported.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I am going to stick my neck out. If the pistol in question were mine, I would lightly clean up the face of the slide where it appears shards of metal have been caught between the barrel lug and slide face to get a flat surface. Any flashed metal on the edges of the parts would also be lightly cleaned off.

I would look at the contact area of the barrel lug to the slide. If it appeared even and fairly wide, I would just shoot the pistol and keep an eye out for additional wear. Any moving parts are subject to wear until they reach the final mating. If the pistol operated satisfactorilly during this process, I would stop worrying about it.

If the pistol did not function properly or wear seemed to increase, I would contact customer service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts