Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a small CCW pistol similar in size to a Kel-Tec PF9 or a Kahr PM9, but I'd like to stay with Ruger. My SR9 has really made an impression on me. I was wondering if anyone has read or heard anything about a SR9 Compact or a LCP 9 in Ruger's future line-up?

Thanks....

·
Registered
404 Posts
I haven't heard but I would be surprised if they don't come out with a compact / sub-compact SR9. The LCP is pushing the limits on size for a polymer .380. I don't think they can get a 9mm to work in it. Actually I'd bet they cannot since they stole the design from Kel-tec and they couldn't do it. Kel-tek is the master of small polymer guns. The P-11 has been around for decade and is still the smallest, lightest, and thinnest 12 round 9mm available. The P32 reset the bar on .32's and the P-3AT did the same for .380's yet when it came time for a single stack 9mm they ended up back near the P-11 in size for every dimension but width. The others like Seecamp and Rohrbough get them smaller but they have to use steel frames so they are much heavier and cost 2 - 3 times as much.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I just ordered the LCP tonight, but I really liked the Kel Tec PF9. The size is great. I just wish it was a Ruger. If the SR9 is released in a compact version I'd be very interested. Maybe next year. :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'd love for Ruger to do their own version of the P-11. I'd buy one in a NY minute. :)
I hear ya but the P-11 has had the bugs worked out of it for a long time and Kel-tec's customer service is second to none. Plus, like the Ruger they are made here in the US.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I hear ya but the P-11 has had the bugs worked out of it for a long time and Kel-tec's customer service is second to none. Plus, like the Ruger they are made here in the US.

Kel Tec has come a long way. I hear nothing but good things about their CS. I went from swearing I'd never own a Kel Tec, to thinking I may CCW one. My buddies pt-11(?) is shooting great. One jam in the first 50 and he may have limp wristed it because of the smaller frame that he wasn't used to. I shot it a couple of times and it's a great little shooter.

Not saying I wouldn't prefer a Ruger. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
We could call it the SR9-CC

This is how it would look. Don't get all excited it's just a photo shopped image

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think the SR9 fits into the combat pistol market. Because the SR9 is machined with tight tolerances, it will seldom see a military battlefield. I speculate the battlefield the SR9 is designed for is the range.

Because the SR9C is more concealable, I think the SR9C straddles the combat pistol market and self-defense market.

The LCP is very concealable, but I have little faith in the effectiveness of .380 Auto ammunition. The LC9 is a compromise between the SR9C and LCP. If you already own an SR9C or an LCP, I think the LC9 represents an expensive downsize or upgrade. If you don't own either an SR9C or LCP, I think the LC9 is a reasonable pistol for the cost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts