Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post from a new user. Figured I would go to the pros for an answer. I know that this has been discussed many times already after searching google for a solution. Got my SR9 last month. Approx. 100 rounds with no problems whatsoever. Last weekend it failed to extract several times from two different mags. Cleaned it and took it out Friday. Same thing happened. First 100 rounds or so Blazer brass, Remington UMC, and a box of PNC. Didn't start having problems until using Winchester in the 200 round value pack. Is this ammo that bad for the SR9? Reading about all the problems, I am wondering if I need to send back or not. No problems with my LCP or AR556.
Thanks for any info and new ideas.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
It is really easy to limp wrist SR series centerfire pistols.

My father has one and every now and then forgets that he really needs to stiff arm the pistol to keep it functioning.

The heavy recoil springs take up so much of the recoil that it is easy to "help them along a bit" and let you arm absorb enough of the recoil to where the slide doesn't cycle well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I shot two mags of Blazer brass yesterday and had no issues. Over 100 rounds before Winchester without problems. I do not think it is limp wristing.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
A little more information will be helpful.

Is the ejector not ejecting the brass out of the port causing a "stovepipe?" (The brass is extracted from the chamber and not completely ejected out the ejection port.)

Or, Is the brass remaining completely or partially in the chamber and not extracted by the extractor?

There are different causes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. The brass is staying in the chamber. It is not tight and will fall out when cleared. It has got to be the Winchester ammo. Of course I am not that experienced. Thanks again.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've had similar problems with Winchester White Box 9mm in my SR9 with some of their ammo being under-powered and not fully cycling the slide. I don't use that brand and mainly stick with federal which has worked consistently well.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
There have been a few threads in the past on extraction issues. At one time there was a manufacturer that was shipping stuff that was out of spec. Supposedly they fixed it. It was either Winchester or Remington. will try to find the info.

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/120824-does-your-sr9-run-wwb-ammo-2.html#post1660623

If you look at Winchester brand casings in general their head stamp is thicker to the eye than say remington or federal. I think that was my extraction problem. I'm assuming that my extractor was not getting a good grip because it was too tight. That's my experience anyway. My gun wouldn't even extract Winchester cassings that I reloaded.
As you can see, some have said that WWB has a thicker headstamp/rim which causes extraction issues. You could try measuring that.

I found the other extraction/double feed info.... It was a Remington issue.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/08/robert-farago/ruger-sr9c-extractor-problems/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...emington-umc-vs-ruger-sr9c-remington-owns-up/

In the second post, Remington responded:

Robert,

I apologize for the feed issues you experienced with the Remington 9mm rounds that you were using with your Ruger SR9c. As we discussed on the phone, we have discovered there was an equipment issue which caused some of he bullets to be seated deeper than they should be. Adjustments have been made to the loaders to correct this type of issue.......

·
Registered
749 Posts
My Ruger SR9 would not eat Winchester white box ammo at all. Called Ruger and they said they had reports of problem with this ammo. Not acceptable. I switched to a Smith M&P and it ran the same ammo flawlessly. Never looked back. The SR9 is not only finicky about ammo but also has the hardest slide to rack of any 9mm auto I've tried, which is just about all of them. Mediocre pistol. Get a Smith!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I have a 9E with a total of about 300 rounds fired in it. My ammo was Federal American Eagle 115gr, S&B 115gr, American Eagle 147gr, and Hard Cast 124gr reloads. I had similar problems within the first 100 rounds, but none since. I think your problem is a combination of needing more break-in time and of using under-powered (WWB) ammo. My opinion is keep trying until you fire at least 200 rounds. If it goes back now, you will be starting all over in the break-in process. Again, just my opinion...and good luck on whatever you decide.
OP came back in March, posted 3 times and hasn't returned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts