Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just made a new account because I have become concerned about an SR9 I recently purchased. I seems too have about 3 little tiny holes in the slide it self, I don't know if this is normal or not as I have never seen this on a pistol before. It is really strange and I am worried about the slide maybe being flawed.
If you know anything about this please fill me in.
Might need to send in to Ruger if it is a flaw...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hello all, I just made a new account because I have become concerned about an SR9 I recently purchased. I seems too have about 3 little tiny holes in the slide it self, I don't know if this is normal or not as I have never seen this on a pistol before. It is really strange and I am worried about the slide maybe being flawed.
If you know anything about this please fill me in.
Might need to send in to Ruger if it is a flaw...
Post a pic, sounds like a factory defect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
They are NOT SCREWS at all, as I said they are little holes in the slide it self. In random spots as well. All three are on the left side of the side. Here is some pics.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Is this a blued gun? Maybe its the lighting but your finish looks like a dark grey. You didnt see these until recently or you just didnt look hard enough? Fairly odd, my SR9 is nice and smooth besides the occasional small scratch that I have put on it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well they don't appear to be much deeper than the SR9c logo etched into the slide and probably wont hurt anything BUT they shouldn't be there. If it were my new gun they would drive me crazy once I noticed them. I'd contact Ruger CS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is factory black nitride, and I just got the gun a few days ago. I don't want to shoot it out of fear that the slide will crack because of those holes. I didn't know if it was normal or not.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Looks like it could be porosity. Porosity is voids in metal sometimes caused in forging or casting. Porosity can be microscopic or visible like what you have. Depending how deep could affect the metals strength. Because you have several inclusions I would contact Ruger and explain what you think they are. Could just be cosmetic but there may be more inclusions just under the metals surface that you cant see. Most common way to tell if there are more is with a dye penetrant inspection. But that would be something Ruger would have to perform. Im not a metaloligist but a machinist that deals with stainless steel and I have seen these similar holes in castings. Often its only cosmetic. But with a firearm I would be sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thank you Gpa09, sounds like really good advise. I will contact Ruger CS right away. Thank you all! Hopefully Ruger will be willing to work with me, I dont know how good their CS is as I have never had a problem with a Ruger before! But I hope they get me all squared away!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ok thank you Gpa09, sounds like really good advise. I will contact Ruger CS right away. Thank you all! Hopefully Ruger will be willing to work with me, I dont know how good their CS is as I have never had a problem with a Ruger before! But I hope they get me all squared away!
Your Welcome. Ruger cs is the best. They will put you at ease. Let us know what the outcome is and good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Those are air holes so the slide can vent air to the barrel for cooling as it cycles. JUST KIDDING, its definitely not normal, I'd call Ruger and email them the photo's if necessary.

·
Registered
998 Posts
That was one of the problems that my 1st SR-9 had when I sent it back in to Ruger. I got an "entire gun" replacement for it but the replacement still had the same fail to fire & fail to eject issues. I ended up getting a Taurus 24/7 and never looked back. I believe your problem may well be porosity like Gpa09 suggested, I'm a welder by trade and I see porosity in some of the apprentices welds on occasion, it's just like tiny air bubbles in the molten puddles of filler metal. Without getting into the possible causes, porosity can truly weaken the metals structure, in my industry we have to use X-ray's to see it in it's entirety, there may only be a pinhole on the surface but beneath that pinhole could be a hidden "matrix" of structure weakening porosity. This could happen at the time of casting as well. My vote would be to send it back in to Ruger, I know it won't be the first time they see it because they certainly saw mine!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
When it comes to SR9s, I hope you get a new, perfect gun like mine. I love my SR9 and I think it shoot better than many other pistols

1 - 14 of 14 Posts