Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please be gentle with me - We train hundreds of shooters, mostly professional security. While most have service quality pistols such as Glock, XD, Sig, etc. some have purchased the Ruger SR9.
If there are 10 shooters in a line and one continually has failures to fire, failures to eject, failures in general it is almost always the guy that saved a hundred bucks by buying an SR9. This happens time after time, after time, so I know it is not the shooter or the particular pistol.
So I embarked on a mission.Can I spend enough money on an SR9 to make it a dependable firearm?
So I purchased a friend's SR9 that the front camblock pin kept falling out. It had been cleaned but never fully disassembled so I knew the camblock pin retainer spring was still there.
I took it to the range. Untouched. After 23 rounds I heard something hit the bench in front of me. Looking down I saw that the lower camblock pin was laying on the bench. ????
OK, I will disassemble completely. But first, if I'm going to put forth the effort I though I'd look for improvement parts and check out the forums. I saw rave reports on how fantastic the SR9 was. "Best trigger ever", etc.
I found it strange that anyone actually thought this guns trigger was great, even fair?? I found it terrible.
So I bought the Galloway Precision kit with the Ghost Ultimate 3.5 trigger kit and installed it. It didn't change the 6.XX trigger a bit. So now after spending $250 on a $350 pistol and another $72 on the trigger kit I have placed a support email with Ghost to see if I'm missing anything.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Troll post
Not at all. Striker-fired trigger snob who likes Glock and XD, but not SR9, triggers, derides people spending $100 less, but buys their 1-in-10 failure pistol, then spends $322 modifying it, and has Zen-like power to hear a lower camblock pin drop at a firing range, is a totally legit thing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A buddy of mine and I each recently bought SR9E's.
They now have a total of about 650 rounds through them.
No failures.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
A buddy of mine and I each recently bought SR9E's.
They now have a total of about 650 rounds through them.
No failures.
There a bunch of us here who have fired thousands of rounds thru our SR series with no issue.

Here we have a post from a "expert" who rather than getting the firearm fixed (he said he knew there was an issue) goes to the range and shoots it anyway.

I own a Springfield XD series and have fired a lot of Sigs, Berettas and Glocks. I don't consider many of them to have a better trigger.....definitely not a box stock Glock.

(I will admit that after a certain point..there is a lot of subjective opinion on just how good a trigger is. I won't own a Glock because of the trigger. )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wait, come back!

I'm still curious how a mission "to make it a dependable firearm" involved Galloway and Ghost kits, but not a $4 camblock pin retainer spring replacement from Numrich? Or just sending it back to Ruger?

Were we all just supposed to hang our head in shame and acknowledge our inferiority in firearms choices? C'mon! I need to finish my thesis on the uncontrolled id.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I was just gonna start a thread about the sr9c I handled and shot this morning. a guy brought one to the range today, just got it yesterday and this would be it's first outing. I was pretty impressed actually, don't know what the differences are between the two besides the obvious, one a compact and the op's, a full size. this guy was an older gentleman and he was pounding the targets with decent groups like nobodys business. he put 500 rounds through it, or I should say 480 rds cause he let me try it for 2 mags. (mass regs..10 rd magazines) I wasn't aware of any malfunctions and really, I think that's super for an out of the box pistol. crisp trigger which surprised me, felt better than it looked before I picked it up and ya know, I could see me carrying one with no problem. for the price point it had a bunch of features but...here it is, I just hate that loaded indicator pop up ruger uses. I carry a shield now, and have for the last 3 years, but I really did like this little pistol.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Troll post
That's kind of how it sounds.

First... according to Ruger's tech. dept. the SR9 trigger is rated at 8 lbs from the factory with an acceptable variance of +/- 1 lb, not 6 lbs. If you got hold of a new SR9 with a 6 lb trigger then you found a gem because 99.9% of them will have triggers between 7 & 9 lbs out of the box.

Second... I recently installed a Galloway Precision kit along with a Ghost "rocket" bar in my gen. 2 SR9 & now have a trigger that's a bit under 4 lbs so the OP either installed something wrong or got the wrong parts.

Third... I understand that there have been some issues (as with all guns on the market), but I have a few thousand rounds through my SR9 & have never had a malfunction of any kind or any pins fall out in the 6 years I've owned it.

I'm also curious about this statement... "after spending $250 on a $350 pistol...". I'd like the OP to explain. I'm assuming he's talking about a SR9E instead of a SR9, which are basically the same handguns with only a few minor differences. Was the "SR9" factory new or used? I'd love to get my hands on a brand new SR9 or SR9E for $250. ;)

I'm not trying to run the OP away. He may have got hold of a lemon, but I'm highly doubting it. If the post is for real, I would highly suggest contacting Ruger CS, not Ghost Inc. I've owned more than one SR9 over the past few years & have been pleased with them all.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
But wait! The OP has asked for forgiveness. He is slipping away, never to be heard from again. Aren't we all ashamed?..........................naw.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Agreed...he was a troll :/

I always want to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

My SR9c has about 3k rounds through it. Trigger is great. Breaks clean, reset is short and very noticeable for a stock trigger.

That front cam pin issue, you put it in backwards.

Why do people come into forums doing this...I just do not get it.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Wait, come back!

I'm still curious how a mission "to make it a dependable firearm" involved Galloway and Ghost kits, but not a $4 camblock pin retainer spring replacement from Numrich? Or just sending it back to Ruger?

Were we all just supposed to hang our head in shame and acknowledge our inferiority in firearms choices? C'mon! I need to finish my thesis on the uncontrolled id.
I like your way of thinking. Please post more. :D

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Agreed...he was a troll :/

I always want to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

My SR9c has about 3k rounds through it. Trigger is great. Breaks clean, reset is short and very noticeable for a stock trigger.

That front cam pin issue, you put it in backwards.

Why do people come into forums doing this...I just do not get it.
I've shot several SR9's including a SR9E. The trigger on them doesn't feel as nice as my SR9c or SR40c, which are both very smooth from the get go.

Not sure why the full size SR triggers aren't as good as the compacts, but thats my opinion.

For the OP, if you bought a gun from someone having problems with it, means you should have known what you were getting.

From experience, I once got a car in the first model year, which people tell you means you'll get a lemon. It was flawless never had any issues. I sold it and got one in the last model year before the new models were coming out. It was a LEMON. This just shows you normally never know what you're getting until after you get to use it. I wouldn't buy anything from someone who says they are having problems with it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts