Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SR 9 Question?

I got a Ruger SR9 today, It was lightly used low round count the barrel has some burs right above the front of the chamber where it locks into the slide. Is this a common thing? Or is this from the manufacturer? Will it hurt to sand the burs off or should I let it work itself in?

·
Reloading Addict
10,713 Posts
That is where the barrel makes contact with the slide when it cycles. Some wear is normal. How about a picture? Congrats on the new,to you gun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
top of the barrel between fingers has little wear(that is the shinny patch) but what im worried about is the edge in front of it(front of the chamber whare it locks in the ejection port).when i run my thumb acrossed it,i can feel sharp burred edge sticking up.ether from the slide hitting it and mushrooming it?or burs from the factory?when racking the slide it "pops" a little at that point,seems like it should be smoother.dont want to round that edge to much by sanding it but dont know if letting it works its self out will hert the inside of the slide to much.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'd leave it be. Unless there is some sort of failure issue where the slide gets caught on it somehow. I have heard some have taken a really fine file or dremel to get rid of the bur.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Its pretty much normal as most SR9 owners will attest to (they seem to wear in creating some peening on that edge and then settle down).There a great pistol shoot it and enjoy.

·
Registered
294 Posts
go to Galloway Precision and watch their SR9 videos. Click on the how to videos link at the top of the home page and watch the vids.
He said it's common, and that you can carefully sand/file off the burr.

·
Registered
294 Posts
go to Galloway Precision and watch their SR9 videos. Click on the how to videos link at the top of the home page and watch the vids.
He said it's common, and that you can carefully sand/file off the burr.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
first time at the range wasnt so great.3rd and 6th mag full had stove pipe.useing winchester white box and UMC 115 gr from walmarts.going to try some blazer 124 gr next time.hope this is just a break in issue.idk how many rounds it had before i got it,couldnt be much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Must be a previous model because I recall them fixing the issue with the peening of the barrel with the newer models. My SR9c has been flawless thus far with over 1000 rd through it. I would shoot it some more and if you continue to get malfunctions then, as others have said, try to carefully file the burr flush.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I had the same thing start with my SR9c after 900 rounds and was concerned, so I took so close-up pic's that showed the burr. Last Monday I called Ruger Customer Service and after a 2 minute conversation they gave me the email address of one of their Tech's to send the pictures to. I had a Pre-paid UPS shipping label within a couple of hours of sending that email and the next day, off went gun to Prescott, AZ.

That was Tuesday, on Friday afternoon I got an email from UPS saying that I had a package coming 2nd day air from Prescott, AZ! I called CS and they confirmed that my guin was on it's way back to me. While they couldn't tell me exactly what had been done, they did say that it had been "repaired and test fired".

I'm assuming there will be some kind of report included with the gun when I get it back...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when i took the palm swell out it was caked with a redish brown sticky film.im assuming this is a packing grease?(looked kinda like somebody spilled pepsi on it)but after cleaning the frame good i found it around the safety ect.the safety and mag release was really stiff.after a good cleaning and lube they are 100% better.seen some gunk around the extractor to,may be the same grease.im going to hose the slide down good and blow it out with the air compressor(dont want to tackle removing the extractor yet).i have 150 rounds of 124 blazer brass to go through.if i get another stove pipe i may send it back.

being used will they still honor a warranty?i do have a receipt from the gun show dealer.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
It's normal wear and can be removed with some light sanding or filing. By the way, I noticed you have one of the olive drab models. Congrats on that! Those are considered more collectable and are getting very hard to find. I was lucky enought to get my hands on a new OD SR9 and love it. Give it a good cleaning, some lube & TLC & it won't fail you.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Just a quick update; my "repaired" SR9c arrived yesterday (a day early… THANKS UPS!), but the paperwork included didn't provide any clarification as to what had been done. No big deal, I just field stripped it and took a look…

From what I could tell, they knocked the burr's down with a file or stone, but didn't completely remove them, nor polish the area. They aren't visible anymore, but I can still feel them. Being a bit OCD, I emailed the Tech @ Ruger and his response indicated that unless I begin to have functional issues (failure to feed, fire or eject) that I don’t need to worry about the burrs….

Hope this helps; but if you are concerned, I'd call or email Ruger CS. They impressed me and I've run industrial inside sales/customer service departments for years

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
...By the way, I noticed you have one of the olive drab models. Congrats on that! Those are considered more collectable and are getting very hard to find. ....
Ditto that! I've been holding off buying a fullsize SR9 form my LGS, hoping to find a OD model at an area gunshow.. So far, no luck, but I'm still looking!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found 2 more burs last night when I took my SR 9 apart. I bought some files and goin to try and file them off. Hope it works .

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Looks normal to me, but I'd definitely try some FrogLube. If that's low round count, it looks like there's some undue wear - nothing that would affect the gun, but still a little disconcerting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got to the range today and still having problems.1rst time i racked the slide a case got stuck under the firing pin and didnt chamber,i ejected that case.then the 2nd case didnt fully go into battery,i ejected it instead of pushing the slide forward.then it ran good through 8 mags,including 1 box of tula.9th mag had rem UMC and got a stove pipe again.finished the UMC in 2 more mags no problems.this was a fully detail cleaned and lubed with the peened bers filed off.

have had a few of the problems where the slide isnt going into battery with out a little push.this has only happened 1 time while shooting it but a few times when chambering a round manually.didnt bring the camera,wish i would of.

when racking the slide i can hear and feel a pop.right at the point the barrel locks into battery.is that normal?

not alot of problems for 150 rounds but im not impressed yet since we have other guns that has never had a problem ever.but my 10/22 was flawless.put around 150 rounds though it to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here is some more info on my problems.http://rugerforum.net/maintenance/62324-sr-9-question.html

sorry for the lack of knowledge,makes it harder to describe things.

after some FTE and FTF problems.maybe 3-4 of each with in 300 rounds or so.FTF usually happen when manually cocking it,only happend 1 time when shooting and i just simple pushed the slide into battery,then it was ok.i thought maybe the recoil spring isnt strong enough or not letting the slide slam shut when manually cocking it or that barrel peening problem.after wiping it down,visual inspection,some dry firing,i noticed if i dry fire it with the mag in then cock it,it gets stuck about 1/8th inch before closing,similar to the FTF incident .all FTF is just a hair off of going into full battery.and i can push it closed,but i noticed it makes a pop/click noise when doing in empty(i didnt notice at the range)and i can see the striker does not cock back.i have to release the slide,push it forward manually until it pops,then cock it again to make it work again.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
got to the range today and still having problems.1rst time i racked the slide a case got stuck under the firing pin and didnt chamber,i ejected that case.then the 2nd case didnt fully go into battery,i ejected it instead of pushing the slide forward.then it ran good through 8 mags,including 1 box of tula.9th mag had rem UMC and got a stove pipe again.finished the UMC in 2 more mags no problems.this was a fully detail cleaned and lubed with the peened bers filed off.

have had a few of the problems where the slide isnt going into battery with out a little push.this has only happened 1 time while shooting it but a few times when chambering a round manually.didnt bring the camera,wish i would of.

when racking the slide i can hear and feel a pop.right at the point the barrel locks into battery.is that normal?

not alot of problems for 150 rounds but im not impressed yet since we have other guns that has never had a problem ever.but my 10/22 was flawless.put around 150 rounds though it to.
I'm confused. Exactly what do you mean by a case got stuck under the firing pin? Was the bullet up and the primer side down? At an angle? Got pictures?

Also, how and when are you hearing a pop when the barrel goes into place? If you're racking it and letting the slide fly forward, as you should, you shouldn't hear anything. If you're doing it slowly, that might be the reason for your jams. And a "pop" right before it goes into battery would be normal as that's when your barrel locks into place.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts