Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to Rugers home page to look and see if they had anything new and saw this.

http://www.ruger.com/SR9Recall/

We have determined that some Ruger SR9 pistols manufactured between October 2007 and April 2008 can, under certain conditions, fire if dropped with their manual safeties in the "off" or "fire" position. The pistols will not fire if the manual safety is in the "on" or "safe" position.

We would like to retrofit all Ruger SR9 pistols starting with serial number prefix “330” (330-xxxxx) with these new parts at no charge to our customers.

In order to ensure correct fitting, this new part must be installed at our Ruger factory in Prescott, Arizona. We will remove the old parts and install the new group promptly, at no charge, and will return the pistol to you. The old parts will not be returned.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
what the heck has happened to ruger??????

That's every sr9 that has left the factory since production began. At least they are sending tags so its no cost except in reputation damage. Whats worse is this phrase "Ruger is finalizing the design of a new trigger group which prevents firing" which means the fix ain't quite ready.

This sounds like the p85 screw-up that damaged ruger's rep early on in the auto pistol market.

Sorry, i need to go fondle my p90.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
This can cost Ruger all the profits they have made on the SR9. Very many mistakes like this and Ruger will be in big financial trouble. Recalls are very expensive. Glad they are taking care of it, but would hate to see them go broke, or price themselves out of the market trying to recover. I think they should send a bunch of us shooters one of their new models and let us debug them before they put them on the Market. :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finished reading the recall and noticed this.

All owners will receive a FREE SR9 magazine as a "thank you" for their patience and cooperation.

That's pretty good customer service in my book.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I finished reading the recall and noticed this.

All owners will receive a FREE SR9 magazine as a "thank you" for their patience and cooperation.

That's pretty good customer service in my book.
except one hopes ruger gives away the correct style mag for the sr-9 returned since there are 2 styles due to another mistake in initial mag design.........

i don't mean to bash, but this is just plain bad business to let it get this far to begin with. You would have thought they would had done drop testing at the factory while still under design development. I can just see sr9's being pulled off of shelves and replaced by p89's-----oops! forgot they dropped that proven design for the sr9! Gues the space will be ccupied by more glocks and smith m&p's............

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I drop tested my LCP by mistake and thankfully that one doesn't go off when dropped. :eek: I'm hoping there are no recalls on this one. That's the problem with new guns. Companies sometimes get a little anxious to get the product out and we end up paying. I guess it will be cheapwer for them then a lawsuit would.

·
Registered
68 Posts
...some Ruger SR9 pistols ...can, under certain conditions, fire if dropped with their manual safeties in the "off" or "fire" position. The pistols will not fire if the manual safety is in the "on" or "safe" position.
OK everybody take a breath, step back, stop the wailing, hand wringing and teeth gnashing.

Remember, every Old Model Blackhawk that has not been converted to the new transfer bar design, which is just about every OM Blackhawk in existence, can do this trick if there is a round under the hammer, but nobody seems too upset about that.

The 1st generation S&W pistols, Model 39 and 59, were not "drop safe" either. Nobody got really upset about them, either.

The discovery of this 'flaw' would not prevent me from buying an SR9, and has not made me doubt for one minute that Ruger is still in the business of manufacturing quality guns.

·
Registered
404 Posts
No matter how well a company tests their products there will always be defects that don't turn up until the products are in customer's hands. Microsoft has made this a cornerstone of their business model. The question is how well will the company respond to the problems that do turn up. I think Ruger has responded well and is doing everything one would hope a good company would do. If anything their actions have made me like them more.

Now if they would make an SR9 compact!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
concerning the smith 59 and the omb, here i believe we are talking a new design built to today's "standards". Not the standards of a s&w design that was obselete/phased out over 25 years ago. Or a single action revolver design ruger also phased out. The omb was not designed to be drop safe, the sr9 is suspose to be for liability reasons----the same liability concerns that caused the omb to be phased out and upgraded. Regardless of the merits of these two older designs, the liability they present in today's world means they are no longer in production.

People may not expect some models to be drop safe and continue to use older designs or different weapon systems, but today its a different matter. Accidents happen as previously posted above. Drop test "proof" is a realitity in today's world, be it a requirement for an agency, State, or a military.

The sr-9 was suspose to incorporate today's demands. And unless i'm mistaken, the design was suspose to be "drop safe" regardless of the safety mode. To that end, ruger acknowledged there is a design flaw.

I agree with calvin, ruger is going to lose a ton of money on this one----and probably a few potential contracts as well.

i applaude ruger for addressing this problem with free call tags and a free mag. they are trying to make it right. But this is also happening to cover their tail liability wise for a design flaw more than anything else and to try not to loose their customer base by dangling a freebie. if they had got it right the 1st time, this would not be happening.

The sr9 is probably still a step in the right direction in the current trends of firearm sales. And i gave considerable thought on buying one. But i'll think i will definately wait to see if any other issues pop up concerning this design. Eventually, i may own one, but not for the foreseeable future. I will wait for the design to become established and proven. To those who have one and like the weapon system, i respect your choices.

·
Banned
36 Posts
I applaude ruger for addressing this problem with free call tags and a free mag. they are trying to make it right. But this is also happening to cover their tail liability wise for a design flaw more than anything else and to try not to loose their customer base by dangling a freebie. if they had got it right the 1st time, this would not be happening.
It's not a perfect world and manufacturers of any product can/does overlook stuff. It's no big deal, guns were made without this feature forever. Blame it on this "everyone needs bicyle helment" world we live in now.

The bottom line, Ruger has stepped up and is going to make it right and offered the comsumer something for their inconvience. The free magazine is nothing more than that....

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have owned my SR9 for about 6 weeks and shot about 900 rounds through it with only one one stovepipe in the second or third magazine shot through it. The mag release is stiff, but other than that the gun runs and shoots exceptionally. I am glad that Ruger has owned up to this and will make it right by their customers. A free magazine is a nice incentive, and a "we're-sorry-but-thank-you-for-buying-a-Ruger-and-come-again," response from the factory. Just another reason I bought an American made gun. A mistake is only a mistake if one doesn't learn from it and benefit from the experience.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree. I fired atleast 1,000 rounds in my SR9 since Dec. '07. No problems, in fact I just called Ruger and gave them my info for the recall. I like Ruger, in fact the SR9 converted me to a Ruger lover! On a side note, the owners manual does state if the weapon is dropped it could go "bang"....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got off the phone with Ruger about the recall,they were VERY nice and helpful and will be sending me out a box to return my handgun.
Pretty darn good customer service if I must say so!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Being a satisfied SR9 owner myself, the mild inconvenience this causes is the only inconvenience. I remember those revolver recalls from the old day and my Gramps sending his gun into the factory for repair. These things happen. Some guy probably dropped his gun and shot himself in the foot, hence the recall. I received the email and it said once you sent the gun, that they would make the effort to return it to you within a week. That would be great turn around.

I also don't disagree that they should let some of us loyal Ruger guys test these guns and work out the flaws instead of just sending them to 10 writers trying to get a rave review.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not worried

I'm not worried about the recall. I picked up an SR9 NIB this past weekend at a local gun show. I'll send it in when they send me the box. Ruger will not let me down.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Has anybody received there transport boxes yet? I'm anxious to get mine out so I can get it back...good weather is beckoning, gotta shoot:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
How's everybody doing? New guy lookin for some SR9 input.. I'm a first time Ruger owner and was very pleased when I saw the new SR9. I've never been drawn to a Ruger before so I was shocked when I realized who the manufacturer was (no disrespect). Anyway picked one up at the local gun show and couldn't wait to put some rounds through it. First 100 rounds and I was pleased, went back for some more and now I'm worried. During the next session with 200 rounds the trigger would not reset to the ready position. The bullet indicator was up, but the trigger was still back in the fired position? I had to cock the slide back slightly to get the trigger to return to ready on 5 different occasions. I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem? And does anyone have a fix that they can school me with?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts