Ruger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed alot of threads on the SR9. First off i love the gun. A whole lot of gun for the money. Ruger is by far my favorite Handgun/Rifel Maker out there but anyways, Anybody Who has an SR9 i am fixing to buy one and want to know any additional facts i need to know about it. Whats a good holster?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The SR9 is a great gun, love mine. Buy it! Can't think of any "additional facts" that aren't easily accessible on this forum or the net in general. I have an 'Old Faithful' holster for mine but there are many other great holsters available for the SR9. The SR9 would not be my first choice for everyday conceal carry (a bit large, but concealable) just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Can't go wrong with the SR. We have two of them, like them a lot. We trust them enough to have them as our nightstand guns.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Really like my SR9. Have over 500 rounds through it and no problems. I would definitely recommend this weapon. Feels good in your hand and feels really good when it fires because it gives you immediate feedback that it has stopping power.

·
Registered
26 Posts
+1. The SR9 is my nightstand gun. The SR9c is my EDC.
Like you I also have a SR9 and will soon buy a SR9c for a smaller carry gun. I now carry the SR9 in a Remora, and it works great despite the full size.

It has handled many brands and types of ammo without issue, close to 1,000 rounds now.

m77, you will surely enjoy it if you buy one.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Really like my SR9. Have over 500 rounds through it and no problems. I would definitely recommend this weapon. Feels good in your hand and feels really good when it fires because it gives you immediate feedback that it has stopping power.
+1......That was probably the biggest selling point for me. That and 17+1 firepower capacity. :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
I use my SR9c as my EDC gun. I have 800 rounds through it at this point. I carry it with the 10 round magazine with no extension and in an IWB Old Faithful holster.

There are a couple of upgrades you can add to fix the minor details of the gun. For these upgrades, I've found Gallaway to be a great source. I added the stainless steel guide rod with a new set of factory weighted springs at 16 lb. I also chose the trigger kit 3 as upgrades. It comes with a heavier striker spring, polished stainless steel striker indicator and a polished stainless steel plunger and spring. Basically replacing the high ware plastic parts. For me, these are cheap and easy upgrades that can be done at home with basic tools.

SR9c and SR40c Parts | Galloway Precision

I also added the Crimson Trace laser guard. Do yourself a favor and if you ever intend to add this feature, buy holsters now that will fit it. The SR9 without the laser will fit perfectly into a laser holster, but not the other way around.

Laser Sight for Ruger SR9c and SR40c Compact | Official Crimson Trace

You can find the Crimson Trace LG-449 laser guard online in the $150 range.

The Old Faithful holster can be bought as a kit that you put together and adjust. I bought a stage 3 kit, but there are other holster out there. Personal taste is the key to that one.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The SR9 is a great gun, love mine. Buy it! Can't think of any "additional facts" that aren't easily accessible on this forum or the net in general. I have an 'Old Faithful' holster for mine but there are many other great holsters available for the SR9. The SR9 would not be my first choice for everyday conceal carry (a bit large, but concealable) just my opinion.
I acrry a SR( as my every day carry in an IWB holster. I like the full size, and its not really that big.

I use to carry a full size 1911 IWB, so the SR9 does feel smaller. But you just have to dress for it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Like you I also have a SR9 and will soon buy a SR9c for a smaller carry gun. I now carry the SR9 in a Remora, and it works great despite the full size.

It has handled many brands and types of ammo without issue, close to 1,000 rounds now.

m77, you will surely enjoy it if you buy one.
The SR9c with the compact 10rd mag is very easy to cc and with the regular 17rd mag, it's a great range gun, too.

·
Registered
595 Posts
We have both the SR9 & SR9c in our house. I like the SR9 for shooting 17 rounds (not a fan of the rounded mag adapter on the SR9c). SR9c with 10 round mag is great for my daughter's smaller hands. I think you will really like the SR9; great price and American made. Make sure that you clean it thoroughly before shooting the first time. Thinking about adding an SR40 and would like to have an SR45 if Ruger ever makes one. :)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
The SR9 is a dandy 9mm. I love mine haven't had a issue yet. Its the first 9mm I've ever shot but I'm not sorry I bought this one and doubt you will be. Anything else I could say about it has been said on here so gitcha one and enjoy.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I’ve owned, carried and trained with a lot of Glock pistols and when faced with the decision between a 4th Gen G-17 or 19, M&P 9 or 9c I decided on the SR9. I don’t regret my decision and am very pleased with my SR9.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Once Ruger's great customer support addressed the problems with my original (they sent me a new gun), my confidence grew substantially in the reliability of my SR9. I probably have 1000 rounds through it; training, IDPA, etc. The SR9 is now my daily carry weapon, and it has given me no reason to regret that decision.

For the record, I keep my gun very clean, making sure it's field stripped and cleaned after every shoot. I also removed the mag disconnect "safety" because a) I don't like that "feature"; b) it complicates the "unload and show clear" process during IDPA matches.

I hope you enjoy yours.

-- david

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
You won't go wrong with a SR9 or SR9c.
Both very reliable, durable handguns.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have noticed alot of threads on the SR9. First off i love the gun. A whole lot of gun for the money. Ruger is by far my favorite Handgun/Rifel Maker out there but anyways, Anybody Who has an SR9 i am fixing to buy one and want to know any additional facts i need to know about it. Whats a good holster?
The SR9Cis my primary "carry ever day all the time everywhere" gun. I do occasionally switch to a smaller gun when I feel the circumstances [primarily hot weather attire] demand it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Love my SR9! It's lotsa fun to shoot and, since 9mm ammo is affordable, it's helped me become a far better shooter. When I switch back to my 1911 I can actually hit something once in a while! LOL

The SR9 fits perfectly in my Bianchi M12 Universal Military holster. I use the Bianchi while I'm hiking/fishing/hunting out in the woods.

For normal carry, I have a Blackhawk Serpa. Very cool.

Enjoy your new pistol!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
it complicates the "unload and show clear" process during IDPA matches.
IDPA requires you to "unload and show clear", which requires you to dry fire the weapon without a magazine, doing so can damage the strike assembly. By simply removing the 'magazine safety disconnect' this will no longer damage the strike assembly, therefore making the "unload and show clear" uncomplicated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts