Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got the chance to shoot a sr9 today fella had one next to me at the range he let be run 3 mags thru it well i hate to buck the system but i wasnt that impressed?? it definatly shoots well but i couldnt get the feel of it , not an xd and not a 1911 i dont think its a compact carry gun?? more of a full size tactical sized pistol. not sayin i wont buy one later on but it didnt make me wantto jump in line for one , ? it does shoot where its pointed and is very accurate , i just couldnt getto where i felt comfty with it maybe its just me

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Some guns just don't do it for some people. I personally really liked the feel. I didn't shoot it, but from handling it I could tell that I'd like it. It's a full size gun. Not for someone to CCW who doesn't like carrying a full size gun. It's slimmer than the other Ruger semis, but still a full sized gun. I like my XD and wouldn't trade it for an SR9, but I might buy the SR9 down the road.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I need to handle one to see how I like the ergos. If they work for me then I will possibly get one later on down the road. My P95 may get jealous though. :D

·
Super Moderator
21,486 Posts
Interesting post. I somehow though it was smaller than it sounds. I actually have two gotta have Rugers: one was the SR9 and the others was the 4" Redhawk. I may have to go with the revolver first and back burner the SR9. I already have a great semi auto for the nightstand and thats my P94 in 40 S&W. I was thinking the SR9 would be a carry pistol so will wait for the compact version to come out.

·
Banned
36 Posts
I have been very happy with my SR9. It shoots where pointed and feels good in my hand. The fit and finish is more than you would expect of a pistol in it's price range.

The slide on my SR9 was hard to rack at first, but it has loosened up after a few hundred rounds. I still find the magazine difficult to load all 17 rounds, but Ruger saw fit to include a metal mag loader with each pistol. I've since ordered an UpLula mag loader to put in my range bag. The trigger was a tad gritty at first, but that too has improved with use.

I'm a big guy and find the SR9 conceals okay under a shirt or a light jacket, but it is not a summer carry with shorts and a t-shirt.

I bought the SR9 mainly to use as a trail gun when out four wheeling and for home defense night stand duty. The SR9's high capacity 17+1 double stack mag and the pistol's slim size were main selling points for me, along with Ruger's reputation for reliability.

While I am my no means a firearm expert, I would highly recommend the SR9. It fills my needs very well.

My all black SR9...

·
Registered
373 Posts
i'm afraid to handle one, momma said if i buy 1 more they'll be the only things keeping me warm at night....

guess i'll wait till spring ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I could carry a full-size 1911 in an OWB holster fairly easily. However, I can afford to shoot 9mm, which is why I got the SR9. It should be able to conceal comfortably quite will, with the barrel being nearly an inch shorter and with a significant reduction in weight.

I'll be able to find out for sure when my Crossbreed Supertuck arrives :D

-JT

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
all in the eyes of the beholder i guess. I don't consider the sr9 a full size.

Its measurements as far as height/length are about the same as the Springfield 1911 "champion" which everyone seems to think makes a fine ccw weapon and actually a tad smaller than a colt commander. Can't say for the width as the sr9 is advertised as 1.2" at widest point across the safties----can't find a measrement for the 1911 across the safties. But there is sure a difference in the weight with the champion coming in at 35 oz and the ruger around 25 oz.

Of course i carry a p90 concealed so i don't forsee a problem with the sr9. The sr9 strikes me a rather "skinny" in the slide area--reminds me of the browning high power there.

Speculation on my part as i don't own a sr9---still can't talk myself into a 9mm-----yet. But ammo costs and reloading costs are becoming a concern so who knows what the future holds.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i agree on the skinny part it is slim , oh hell i know ill own one somewhere down the road but iam thinking wait for the compact model also maybe 10 rounds ? shortin grip?? yeah that might work

1 - 9 of 9 Posts