Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an SR9B that I have had since the beginning of May2015. I love the way the gun shoots; it seems very natural for my grip. Since it was new I have been seeing the very common issue where the spent shell never gets removed from the chamber and the next round then feeds against it which then requires the slide to be locked back to clear the jam. The problem was occurring with Winchester white box, Remington green box, Fiocchi and Speer Gold Dot. Initially I thought it was just the break-in requirement, but the problem continued.

I sent the pistol back to Ruger and got it back yesterday morning. The paperwork said they replaced the barrel and the entire slide assembly and then shot 50 rounds of Remington green box and 34 rounds of Winchester white box with no problems.

I took the gun to the range this morning and the first four magazines -Winchester white box and Remington green box - shot fine but then the problem returned. I am now seeing a failure to extract/double feed about twice per magazine, same as before. (..all the while my Glock 22 was chugging along without fail..just in case anyone thinks it's a limp wristing problem..)

In its current state I definitely can't rely on the gun in a personal defense situation, and I'm not sure what to try next. I'm thinking seriously about trading it for a Glock 17, but I REALLY want to like this gun. I'm beginning to lose faith.

Anyone have any ideas? :confused:Thanks anyone for any constructive thoughts!

Vince

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,543 Posts
Welcome from Nor-Cal!
Can you post a picture of your SR9B please?

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
Welcome to RF from N.C. Pa.
Sounds like there is some crud under and behind the extractor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Thanks for responses & Greetings.. Hello from NM!

Picture of the gun is attached.

I totally agree that crud under the extractor is on the prime suspect. I have scraped & scrubbed around & under it with a plastic pick & wire brush while the problem is occurring at the range but once the FTE's start, they continue until I disassemble and clean everything. Then it's good for about 4 more mags. (..about 60 to 70 rounds..) I'm also puzzled by the fact that when I sent it back to Ruger, they replaced the barrel and the complete slide assembly yet the same problem starts again under the exact same circumstances..?

It seems to me that any gun should be capable of shooting for a couple hours at the range without requiring dis-assembly and cleaning after a little more than each box of ammo. I have several other Ruger products that I love, but I'm hoping I didn't get a lemon this time..

I'm going to go talk to the gun store today and see what they suggest..

Thanks very much to all for the responses..

Attachments

·
Banned
650 Posts
I would not take a beating on a trade. I would send the gun back to Ruger. If they cannot fix the gun, demand a refund. If you bought the gun with a credit card your buyers protection will cover the purchase. A couple of my friends got burned by Kel Tec and they got a full refund through their credit card buyers protection. You will spend an hour or so on the phone getting a refund. You are only going to get a $100 for the Ruger on a trade.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
clean and lightly lubed at the start? too much oil (and too heavy a lube) is just as bad as none. especially as you proceed to pile up the brass.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The brass?

Have U checked the brass? Taking a good look at the brass. Is there anything about the rim that shows that maybe your problem is a bad extractor? If the brass is getting stuck and not ejecting then maybe it's your extractor. There doesn't have to be a large glaring burr. Remove the extractor, get some light oil and fine wet or dry sandpaper like 400, 600., U get the picture. Oil the paper and with just your finger pressure sand it a tad and look for any sign of a spot that is not nice and shiny. if you find a spot your problem could be there.
Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called the gun shop and the owner said "bring it in and I'll make it right." He offered to refund my purchase price with tax in cash. Instead I left him another $80 and took home an M&P. The name of the shop is Bulldog Firearms in Rio Rancho, NM. They are top notch!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts