Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any companies making and selling trigger kits or aftermarket triggers? I'm looking for the actual trigger itself as I've found mine to be uncomfortable the little center piece digs into my finger pretty hard and my old fingers don't have calluses anymore.
I'm hoping someone has bee marketing something that is more comfortable.
Any information is welcome.
Thanks,
Gabby

·
Registered
97 Posts
No, there aren't for SR9c

But, there are a couple things I can think of.

If this is just for fun/range/target etc. there are those finger cover things that cashiers wear to get friction on bills. They are thin so not bulky like a glove. Kind of like a finger tip condom.

The other thing is that the trigger is actually 2 pieces joined by pins that you cannot separate. But, Numrich sells the pieces separately for like $4 each. So I am thinking that you can just get the regular trigger part (not the safety trigger part) and replace the joined trigger. I believe the second piece is just a piece that pivots to clear the frame so just the one piece should work just fine.

Not sure how comfortable you are with doing this work. So you might have to pay a smith. Or the fingertip "gloves" are a few dollars for a stack of them (or even 1 dollar if you get it from asia)

Nice 50x Finger Cots Nail Art Latex Fingertips Protective Small Rubber Gloves | eBay

Doc

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, there aren't for SR9c

But, there are a couple things I can think of.

If this is just for fun/range/target etc. there are those finger cover things that cashiers wear to get friction on bills. They are thin so not bulky like a glove. Kind of like a finger tip condom.

The other thing is that the trigger is actually 2 pieces joined by pins that you cannot separate. But, Numrich sells the pieces separately for like $4 each. So I am thinking that you can just get the regular trigger part (not the safety trigger part) and replace the joined trigger. I believe the second piece is just a piece that pivots to clear the frame so just the one piece should work just fine.

Not sure how comfortable you are with doing this work. So you might have to pay a smith. Or the fingertip "gloves" are a few dollars for a stack of them (or even 1 dollar if you get it from asia)

Nice 50x Finger Cots Nail Art Latex Fingertips Protective Small Rubber Gloves | eBay

Doc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Dr Denby; September 5th, 2015 at 04:46 AM.

Thanks for the reply Doc, I'm afraid I'll just have to buy a shooting glove, I won't disable the trigger safety on my EDC pistol, for litigation reasons.
The finger cots might do the trick but I don't think they last very well, so a shooting glove of some sort would be my choice. Maybe a pair of skin tight goatskin driver's would do it. I used to weld wearing them and I could pick up a dime with them on.
What would be great is if Ruger made a trigger similar to the one on Smith & Wesson's The whole trigger is the safety and the whole thing pivots eliminating the center stud of the SR9C.
I know this makes me a traitor but I really wanted the S&W M&P 9 Compact I loved the fit and feel, but couldn't afford it, so I bought the SR9C my second choice.
Gabby

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Contact Galloway Precision... SR9c and SR40c Performance Parts :: Ruger? Performance :: Galloway Precision
They sell trigger kits & light return springs. I've never seen an after market SR9 trigger, but they may have a spring to reduce the weight on the trigger safety. The pistol may not function properly if you replace it with a one piece trigger, but anything's possible.

I'm having a hard time understanding how it can be digging into your finger. It's actually a trigger safety & takes very little pressure to engage. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Have you looked at a pair of Mechanix brand gloves. I also have a pair of neoprene water ski gloves that are thin & allow you to still feel the trigger.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Contact Galloway Precision... SR9c and SR40c Performance Parts :: Ruger? Performance :: Galloway Precision
They sell trigger kits & light return springs. I've never seen an after market SR9 trigger, but they may have a spring to reduce the weight on the trigger safety. The pistol may not function properly if you replace it with a one piece trigger, but anything's possible.

I'm having a hard time understanding how it can be digging into your finger. It's actually a trigger safety & takes very little pressure to engage. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Have you looked at a pair of Mechanix brand gloves. I also have a pair of neoprene water ski gloves that are thin & allow you to still feel the trigger.

Thank you I'll check out Galloway and see if they have anything that will help.
I'm getting old and the flesh on my hands is getting thinner and gives less cushion to my bones, so when I press the trigger the center piece is slightly raised (maybe 1/32") and digs into my fingertip after a few shots at the range, which becomes uncomfortable.
When I take my hand off my gun there is a groove pressed into my flesh and so I'm pressing almost directly against the bone there. It's an old guy thing see what you have to look forward to? :eek: LOL
If Galloway can't help me I'll just get some gloves for the range.
In a (God forbid) shootout I doubt I would even notice. So if I find anything I'll probably post the results here for the other old guys to see.
Thanks again,
Gabby

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've decided to just suck it up and quit sniveling. LOL
Gotta be a man and take it.
No sissy gloves or finger cots for old Gabby, NOSIREEBOB

·
Registered
244 Posts
With many of the smaller Glock triggers being grooved along with some warm reloads I also found my trigger finger getting a beating with those grooved triggers.

My first attempt for relief was to file/sand down the trigger safety and make sure it was matched up to the curve of the trigger and so that it would be slightly below the surface of the trigger and it was a slight relief. This is a step you might want to try.

My final solution was to replace the trigger bar with a different model Glock trigger bar that was smooth and had no grooves. For the Glocks it was a simple replacement of the trigger bar but for the Rugers it's a different story.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that sounds like something I may try, is there any chance of ruining the trigger by doing that?
I have a small round file that would work or even some sand paper wrapped around a dowel rod.
Gabby

·
Registered
785 Posts
Mechanic's gloves work for me. I keep a pair in my range bag for the express purpose of giving my trigger finger a break.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mechanic's gloves work for me. I keep a pair in my range bag for the express purpose of giving my trigger finger a break.
If I plan to shoot a couple of boxes or more I'll probably do just that, gloves do make it easier to take that sort of punishment.
Thanks,
Gabby

BTW do you know how uncommon common sense actually is?
Think about it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts