Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brnad new SR9c - first day at range with it.

It looks like it struck the ammo enough, but I could be wrong - 18 out of 50 "Failure to Fire"... not a happy camper.

Ammo :: Remington UMC 115 Grain from Cabelas

What do ya think?

darrin

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Brnad new SR9c - first day at range with it.

It looks like it struck the ammo enough, but I could be wrong - 18 out of 50 "Failure to Fire"... not a happy camper.

Ammo :: Remington UMC 115 Grain from Cabelas

What do ya think?

darrin
Welcome to the forum.

Did you field strip and clean the pistol, including the striker channel/assembly prior to first firing?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Never shot a lot of Remington ammo but several things could cause this. You mention it's a new pistol. Was it cleaned properly before shooting? Some manufactures freely lube up their firearms since they don't know how long they will be stored. There could be some in the striker tunnel. Could be a striker or striker spring. Compare the primer cup intentions with the fired cases and the duds. Do the intentions look the same as far as depth and roundness? Do you have another brand of ammo to shoot and see if its more reliable. Try some regular American ammo like Winchester or Speer. You can also call Remington. If you still have the box you can give them the lot numbers to see if they have had issues with them. Try to push the striker forward after removing the slide. Does it move freely? Lastly you can get a local smith to inspect it or you can call Ruger to inquire about sending it back. It will be a warranty issue. Most importantly, DO NOT carry or otherwise rely on the handgun for protection until the issue is resolved and the weapon is 100% reliable. Your life could depend on it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum.

Did you field strip and clean the pistol, including the striker channel/assembly prior to first firing?
I cleaned and lightly greased everything prior to shooting at the range, but I did not pull the stiker pin until I got back from the range. No real issue inside there - no metal, no thick grease or dirt.

darrin

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I would agree.... and try a different brand of ammo just to remove that from the possibilities.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have another brand of ammo to shoot and see if its more reliable. Try some regular American ammo like Winchester or Speer. You can also call Remington. If you still have the box you can give them the lot numbers to see if they have had issues with them.
I am going to try a couple different brands tomorrow and see if the results differ.

I will also forward the photo and information to Remington to see what they say.

Thanks for the replies guys.

darrin

·
Registered
51 Posts
those primer hits look kinda weak.

(could be a primer problem, btw)
the real solution is to measure the thickness
and hardness of the primer's metal.
If you can't do this yourself,
Remington will blame the gun and Ruger will
blame Remington.

next time, don't mess around
buy a Super Blackhawk

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
There are lots of past posts about Remmington UMG not working well due to light primer strikes. Many who reload have said that Remmington primers are known to be harder than others.

I used only one box of UMG (fired more than 2000 rounds thru my SR9c) and didn't buy more cuz I thought they were pretty dirty to fire.

I just looked again at your photo. Some of those looked like pretty shallow dents to me.

lay a straight edge across the primer and compare the depth of the primer on those cases that fired with those that didn't. Sometimes primers aren't inserted as deep as others. Light strikes will hapen more often on the deep primers.

I've had rounds where the primers where out past the end of the case and the slide wouldn't go into battery....

·
Registered
785 Posts
I agree they look like pretty shallow strikes. If the other ammo does the same thing, I'd write Ruger, not Remington. Just me though...

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I am going to try a couple different brands tomorrow and see if the results differ.

I will also forward the photo and information to Remington to see what they say.

Thanks for the replies guys.

darrin
It is reasonable to use different brands of ammo. Then, if the "light hits" persist, contact Ruger, not Remington.

Since it is a new pistol, Ruger should make it right for you first. Don't worry, they stand behind their products.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just bought 10 boxes of the UMC 9, the old stuff worked fine in my striker fired Glock, as I hope and pray the new stuff does also.

Lot numbers on the ammo would be nice, so us out here in internet land can compare to our`stock at home.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I agree with the above. Those primers look like they were hit well enough to fire. I've seen them hit lighter that still fired. Looks like an ammo problem.

BTW - you don't really need to lube your striker. If you do, check/clean it often because lube attacts dirt - or use FrogLube, which is what I do. It dries clean, dry and slick and doesn't attract dirt.

Welcome to the forum from Phoenix!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, good news... I picked up some other ammo today and headed to the range.

I picked up PMC Bronze and Blazer Brass, both in 115 grain, since that is all they had at the store. I tried the PMC first and it worked, the Blazer worked and even the Remington UMC was shooting. I shot about 80 rounds total of all 3 without fail.

What concerns me most is that I really didn't find much when I cleaned out the striker pin last night. I hope that it doesn't take a little dirt/grease to stop the gun from shooting. One "failure to fire" at the wrong time in the wrong situation could be tragic.

My guess, at this point, is that the grease that they use must be really thick and that could have slowed the striker pin down.

Thanks for all the replies. I will continue shooting and report any further issues.

darrin

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Well, good news... I picked up some other ammo today and headed to the range.

I picked up PMC Bronze and Blazer Brass, both in 115 grain, since that is all they had at the store. I tried the PMC first and it worked, the Blazer worked and even the Remington UMC was shooting. I shot about 80 rounds total of all 3 without fail.

What concerns me most is that I really didn't find much when I cleaned out the striker pin last night. I hope that it doesn't take a little dirt/grease to stop the gun from shooting. One "failure to fire" at the wrong time in the wrong situation could be tragic.

My guess, at this point, is that the grease that they use must be really thick and that could have slowed the striker pin down.

Thanks for all the replies. I will continue shooting and report any further issues.

darrin

Good update.

I based my answer in part cuz when I look at fired cases in my SR9c, I usually have a lot of the "drag marks". Those drag marks are definitely visible in the second photo.

They happen as the fired case is being ejected, since firing pin is still extended, it gets scraped across the primer a bit until the slide is back a bit and the case is ejected. I don't see any of those marks on the primers you showed in your first pic.

Since it is a new pistol, there could be a bit more drag slowing things down. I expect that UMG will work just fine in the future as things loosen up more.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
Good to hear that it's working fine for you now. Yes, that grease that they pack them with is pretty thick stuff. If it is anything like mine it will get better every time you shoot it. Congrats.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
The marks on your primers are much more pronounced now. Glad you got it working. That stuff they use for packing is really thick, kind of like cosmoline - maybe it is. :confused:

I've used PMC, Blazer, UMC, WWB, Federal... all kinds of stuff and I've never had a problem with it in any of my guns except my LC9, which I got rid of.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had a similar problem with my SR9C and removed the magazine disconnect then polished the end as I felt it was causing the slide to drag. I thought that maybe it was not going back completely into battery position. After polishing it on my polishing wheel it never did it again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts