Ruger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,814 Posts
There are lots of past posts about Remmington UMG not working well due to light primer strikes. Many who reload have said that Remmington primers are known to be harder than others.

I used only one box of UMG (fired more than 2000 rounds thru my SR9c) and didn't buy more cuz I thought they were pretty dirty to fire.

I just looked again at your photo. Some of those looked like pretty shallow dents to me.

lay a straight edge across the primer and compare the depth of the primer on those cases that fired with those that didn't. Sometimes primers aren't inserted as deep as others. Light strikes will hapen more often on the deep primers.

I've had rounds where the primers where out past the end of the case and the slide wouldn't go into battery....

· Registered
4,814 Posts
Well, good news... I picked up some other ammo today and headed to the range.

I picked up PMC Bronze and Blazer Brass, both in 115 grain, since that is all they had at the store. I tried the PMC first and it worked, the Blazer worked and even the Remington UMC was shooting. I shot about 80 rounds total of all 3 without fail.

What concerns me most is that I really didn't find much when I cleaned out the striker pin last night. I hope that it doesn't take a little dirt/grease to stop the gun from shooting. One "failure to fire" at the wrong time in the wrong situation could be tragic.

My guess, at this point, is that the grease that they use must be really thick and that could have slowed the striker pin down.

Thanks for all the replies. I will continue shooting and report any further issues.

darrin

Good update.

I based my answer in part cuz when I look at fired cases in my SR9c, I usually have a lot of the "drag marks". Those drag marks are definitely visible in the second photo.

They happen as the fired case is being ejected, since firing pin is still extended, it gets scraped across the primer a bit until the slide is back a bit and the case is ejected. I don't see any of those marks on the primers you showed in your first pic.

Since it is a new pistol, there could be a bit more drag slowing things down. I expect that UMG will work just fine in the future as things loosen up more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.