Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this on another forum, and my pistol may be an orphan, but in the ongoing quest for knowledge here it is! My SR9c is a great gun. It has almost 4,000 rounds through it flawlessly except for Winchester white box.

I bought a box from Walmart the other day as it was the only 9 mm ammo they had. One box of 9 mm in the store, scary but another topic. Out of 100 rounds the gun failed to fire 12 rounds initially. All had striker marks on the primers. I reloaded all 12 in one mag and tried again. About 8 fired this time. I dumped the rest.

I have had the same problems with 2 other boxes. If I have to buy them (only box in the case) I can run them through my M&P Shield, which seems to have no problem with them. I was wondering if anyone else had the same issues with this particular ammo or any other ammo.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Do i understand you correctly, you have fed the suspect WWW ammo thru your M&P Shield and had no FTF's ? I use Walmart's WWW 40 S&W in my SR40 and have had no problems. Check for brass shavings around your striker.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I bought a box from Walmart the other day as it was the only 9 mm ammo they had. One box of 9 mm in the store, scary but another topic. Out of 100 rounds the gun failed to fire 12 rounds initially. All had striker marks on the primers. I reloaded all 12 in one mag and tried again. About 8 fired this time. I dumped the rest.
For whatever it's worth I have never yet experienced any problems with WWB Centerfire ammo. Can't say the same about the WWB rimfire. I ran several hundred rounds of the WWB rimfire and no problems ... then encountered some fail to feed problems when the slide didn't cycle far enought to the rear in order to pick up the next round off of the mag.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Have you cleaned the striker channel? I've never had a WWB not go bang. They do tend to have hard primers though. You may try cleaning that channel and go again. That thing gets DDDDIIIRRRTYYY.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I agree that the stricker and channel needs cleaning. If the stricker is being slowed down just a little from dirt, it may be enough to not hit the WWW primer hard enough.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've only had one light strike with WWB ammo. I put it back in the magazine and it fired the second time in my SR9c. I havn't had any problems with Federal. It's only used for target ammo and it's pretty reasonably priced so one like strike doesn't bother me. BTW the primer showed a much lighter strike from the striker than usual on the first go around. I figure it must have been a hard primer.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sometimes pistols are funny like that. I have a Kel Tec P-11 that sometimes takes two strikes to fire RWS 9mm. It fires everything else OK and my other 9's fire the RWS just fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I will check and clean the striker channel. The gun fires everything else, including Tulammo. If the worst I have to do is avoid WWB, I can live with it.

Wife has a box for me as one of my stocking stuffers, so I will clean it good and take Another go at it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do i understand you correctly, you have fed the suspect WWW ammo thru your M&P Shield and had no FTF's ? I use Walmart's WWW 40 S&W in my SR40 and have had no problems. Check for brass shavings around your striker.
I have run one box through the shield and it fired all 100 rounds without any problem.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Also, put a straight edge across the base of the rounds and see if the primer are set in a bit further than some of the others.

I've found some primers set in too far and some not set in far enough.... to where the SR9c slide wouldn't go into battery.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I have run one box through the shield and it fired all 100 rounds without any problem.
I would give your SR9C a good cleaning like you planed and give it another wirl. If all other brands work, don't loose to much sleep over it, use the WWW in your M&P and something else in the Ruger. I really like the TulAmmo in my SR40, they dont kick as bad and i can get better groupings. Have fun :D

·
Registered
655 Posts
Been a while since I have heard about this one. I had the same problem with an SR9c a while back (and so did a lot of others). It's not your ammo. Ruger will replace the striker and end cap on your slide if you contact them about it. I cleaned the striker channel on mine after many failures with Federal Champion and WWB. I cleaned the striker channel and it ran great for a few hundred rounds, then it failed with Hornady CD. I highly recommend contacting Ruger in order to get the striker replaced.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Some swear by WWB, some swear at WWB. I avoid using it in my firearms.

Some swear by Rem UMC, some swear at Rem UMC. I have had no issues using it in my firearms (other than a little dirty).

YMMV.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts