Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had several times when racking the slide that I didn't pull it back far enough and the round hung up on the feed ramp and didn't fully chamber. This is with both JHP SD ammo and FMJ round nose ammo.

After looking closer at my feed ramp, it has what looks like several gouges. One is deep enough to barely feel with a thumbnail but this gouge is up and down and not across the ramp.

I'm wondering if others are having this issue. And also wondering if polishing out the marks will help or if it's more a matter of grip and pulling the slide far enough back to chamber the round.

I've seen a video where someone demonstrated use of compound and then flitz for a final polish. Anyone else do this?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: after reviewing the videos and posts decided to use the sandpaper and hand method first. Started with 400 grit paper and used a pencil to push it back and forth until the horizontal marks were no longer visible. Then used the dremel tool with a buffer and some Meguiares fine cutting compound for the final finish. Didn't take more than about 20 minutes for the whole operation and it looks pretty good.

However, still a few problems with feeding while racking the slide. Hangs up once in awhile with JHP ammo but the hangup seems to be the bullet not jumping up onto the ramp. It gets stuck with the bullet half way on the edge of the ramp, almost as if it could get cut in half lengthwise.

Manually ran about 50 rounds of both FMJ and JHP ammo through and it seems to have smoothed out. I've now tried with letting the springs completely pull the slide forward and also holding it back so it slides in slowly. Still sometimes hangs up if letting it in slowly when using the JHP ammo.

My initial impression is that's the nature of this gun but would like to hear what others have to say. No live fire after polishing yet but didn't have any failure to feed events after the first round was chambered before the polishing anyway.

Anyone have any specifics of what to look for and what to do if I still experience the hangups?

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
manually cycling the slide from time to time my 40 will hang. But firing it, the thing is has never had failure of any kind. I think the gun needs to be cycled quickly and with force, since that's what happens when you pull the go switch.
I will say my 40 came out of the box with a ramp that looked like a mirror nearly.

·
Banned
402 Posts
More auto pistols have been ruined with those small hand grinders.
If the geometry of the feed ramp is correct then a little polish on a piece of soft cloth
using your finger is all that is needed. If it's so wrong that it needs a reshaping I would not do it unless you sure about maintaining the proper shape of the ramp. Going after a digger
means you have to remove material, get below the anomaly and then smooth it out.
Not a job for an amateur, yes you can get lucky.
What kind of fail to feed are you getting ?
what does the problem look like when it happens. It's not always the feed ramp.
A well tuned semi auto should feed without the recoil spring in place and just hand working the slide. It's a matter of proper function, not brute force.
I see folks over spring there 1911s trying to slam the pistol into submission.
My response is always the same, fix the problem and get rid of the band aid.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Manually cycling a SR series often results in a hang. I've never (in more than 2000 rounds) had an issue with my SR9c when firing. I can get all kinds of problems when handcycling.

Do you have problems when actually shooting the JHP rounds or just when you partially rack the slide?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Manually cycling a SR series often results in a hang. I've never (in more than 2000 rounds) had an issue with my SR9c when firing. I can get all kinds of problems when handcycling.

Do you have problems when actually shooting the JHP rounds or just when you partially rack the slide?
Like I mentioned in my previous posts, the failures have not happened with any type of ammo when shooting, only when manually racking the slide. Yes, it has happened a few times when letting it go from the fully open position.

Your comment that this has happened with your SR9c as well was what I was looking for. I was pretty sure that it was the nature of these guns and wanted confirmation that others are seeing the same thing.

The stiff recoil springs make it easy to not pull the slide all the way back and the slide release button, that is really a slide stop button, also makes this a little different from other semi-automatics.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Like I mentioned in my previous posts, the failures have not happened with any type of ammo when shooting, only when manually racking the slide. Yes, it has happened a few times when letting it go from the fully open position.

Your comment that this has happened with your SR9c as well was what I was looking for. I was pretty sure that it was the nature of these guns and wanted confirmation that others are seeing the same thing.

The stiff recoil springs make it easy to not pull the slide all the way back and the slide release button, that is really a slide stop button, also makes this a little different from other semi-automatics.
The recoil springs are very stiff. I still have to work at it.

I'll bet I have used 10 different hollow point type rounds in my SR9c and never had any issues. A while back I ran across a situation where there was a severely injured deer. All I had was my SR9c. I can assure you that 9mm HP rounds do work, quickly. It was a very sad situation.

I was shooting with some friends the other day. One of them had a really small 9mm (I won't mention the name...it was not a LC9, though) It was almost impossible to rack and it still hurt like crazy to shoot (10 time worse that an LCP which stings.)

I polished my feed ramp, too. It didn't need it but I like shiny things....

·
Registered
357 Posts
My SR9c is less then a month old and has hung the way you describe many times when manually racking it. I've never run into this with my Colt 1911, so I have been worried it was only my gun. Feeling better after reading this string...

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More auto pistols have been ruined with those small hand grinders.
If the geometry of the feed ramp is correct then a little polish on a piece of soft cloth
using your finger is all that is needed. If it's so wrong that it needs a reshaping I would not do it unless you sure about maintaining the proper shape of the ramp. Going after a digger
means you have to remove material, get below the anomaly and then smooth it out.
Not a job for an amateur, yes you can get lucky.
What kind of fail to feed are you getting ?
what does the problem look like when it happens. It's not always the feed ramp.
A well tuned semi auto should feed without the recoil spring in place and just hand working the slide. It's a matter of proper function, not brute force.
I see folks over spring there 1911s trying to slam the pistol into submission.
My response is always the same, fix the problem and get rid of the band aid.
Graywolf1, wanted to say thanks for the insight and some excellent reasons to keep metal shaping machines away from your gun unless you really know what you're doing.
I removed the guide rod with recoil springs from the gun and manually fed several rounds as you suggested. You have to give the slide a good smack to get the rounds up the feed ramp and chambered. From what I'm seeing and from what others have also seen, I'm pretty sure that it's just the nature of the beast with this series of guns.
But to be honest, whether it helps or not, the polished feed ramp sure looks good!

·
Banned
402 Posts
Graywolf1, wanted to say thanks for the insight and some excellent reasons to keep metal shaping machines away from your gun unless you really know what you're doing.
I removed the guide rod with recoil springs from the gun and manually fed several rounds as you suggested. You have to give the slide a good smack to get the rounds up the feed ramp and chambered. From what I'm seeing and from what others have also seen, I'm pretty sure that it's just the nature of the beast with this series of guns.
But to be honest, whether it helps or not, the polished feed ramp sure looks good!
Right on, I agree it looks good, And it does help. My problem is with folks that change the geometry of the ramp, or are unaware that it has a specific shape for a reason.
Shine it up all you want, Just don't use a file or a spinning stone mounted on a little metal mandrel at 1,700 R P M------UNLESS you know what your doing.
A little hit on the back of the slide is OK,
Have you ever noticed the gymnastics a 45 ACP goes through to get in the chamber of a 1911 ?
The round presents it's self someplace near the barrel sitting in the mag,
The slide goes forward and the case rim gets whacked by the back of the breach face,
Then it has to slide under the extractor claw and up the breach face, the extractor must hold the round with enough tension to hold it but not so tite that it binds against the breach face. Then it goes ahead on it trip to the barrel, BUT it must release from the mag correctly, then it hits the feed ramp, then the barrel throat, THEN hits the top of the chamber--straightens out and goes in the pipe.
Whooo, makes you wonder what John mosses Browning was smoking ?

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
Unique?.......................LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Make sure you are not riding the slide when you are manually manipulating it. The SR series of semi-auto has to be abused! Rack the slide like you mean it. Slingshot style. Drive the gun out with your strong hand while holding the slide with your weak hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I get the same problem racking walmart federal fmj. Speer gold dots never ever jam racking, yet I do not rack them too often. shoot them once in awhile, or re rack them in my gun after the range or cleaning for my carry. I have bought some blazer online that were supposed to be new at palmetto and they were obviously reloads. They were different sizes and practically falling apart. Those would jam up racking. I have had the tula fmj ammo and it racked perfect. Also one that starts with an I in the white box with blue writing in fmj maybe independent. It racked perfect. I go back to walmart federal fmj and it is hit and miss racking and getting it to load in the chamber. Never ever once racking my speer gold dot hp have i ever had a jam. I am dumbfounded. I hear most people have great success with walmart federal also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aversusb, I may be riding it as you state. That could be an issue with me and have heard that. I just find it strange that it is certain ammo and I try to be cautious of it racking it. So I am not sure if that is it or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another thing to note if anyone is not clear of this, clean this gun when you first get it and clean the hell out of it. Take the firing pin out and clean in there also. If you have googled enough around about this gun you have found out about all this now. As for reliability, it was horrible new, now that it is broken in I have not received any jams while shooting, just racking the certain ammos. My most recent jams shooting were definitely an ammo issue. Early on either a cleaning or needing breaking in issue. I am secure enough in this gun to carry it now. I was not at first.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I get the same problem racking walmart federal fmj. Speer gold dots never ever jam racking, yet I do not rack them too often. shoot them once in awhile, or re rack them in my gun after the range or cleaning for my carry. I have bought some blazer online that were supposed to be new at palmetto and they were obviously reloads. They were different sizes and practically falling apart. Those would jam up racking. I have had the tula fmj ammo and it racked perfect. Also one that starts with an I in the white box with blue writing in fmj maybe independent. It racked perfect. I go back to walmart federal fmj and it is hit and miss racking and getting it to load in the chamber. Never ever once racking my speer gold dot hp have i ever had a jam. I am dumbfounded. I hear most people have great success with walmart federal also.
I use Walmart Federal ammo all the time for the range, never any issues, cycles fine in my SR9.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Call Ruger!

Speaking as a Ruger police armorer, all this discussion evades the most desirable remedy, which is to pick up the phone and talk to the friendly folks at Ruger. In all likelihood, they will send you a FedEx truck to drop off a box for you and the next day will bring it to the factory for a repair, N/C, and it'll be done correctly, to factory specs, better than new, and shortly the FedEx driver will return with your gun, probably sporting a brand new barrel that shoots x's. Feed ramp issues are messed up more than they are fixed, and kitchen tables aren't a good place to learn pistolsmithing. If your gun was anything other than a Ruger, my answer would not be so plain, but service is precisely what sets Ruger far apart from others in the market.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts