Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this gun for about a week and I have put about 100 rounds through it. I know its not a lot but about 1 in 4 wont feed properly. I have cleaned it and still no luck. Any words of advise?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you field strip and deep clean it before taking it out??? These babies come heavily greased from the factory which gum's em up. If you haven't already field strip the gun, also remove the striker clean everything especially the striker and striker channel, oil with rem oil and reassemble.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lastly if you've done all that, give it a couple hundred rounds, mine gave me a few issues at first (stovepipes, etc) after the initial 200 rounds and 2 cleanings issue's went away. Make sure you're using good ammo to, none of the cheap shitty russian crap, or anything steel cased, I usually use speer lawman, S&B brass, or the likes at the range and never have any issues.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
First welcome from North Carolina. Is this your first semi auto 9? If so the problem may be that your grip is too loose. Commonly called limp wristing. What happens is the gun flips back and the slide does not cycle back with enough force to pick up the next round. Don't try to choke the gun to death, just try to keep a firmer grip than you have been. Also take a good look at the feed ramp. You want it to be nice and smooth with no cross ways marks or scratches. There are a lot of You Tube videos on how to polish it. Hope you get it running good I have had mine since August and love taking it out to shoot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had my SR9C for two years. I did have a couple of feed issues but only because it was cheep ammo. And the cheep ammo came from Walmart. I still but some ammo from Walmart but never the cheapest one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lastly if you've done all that, give it a couple hundred rounds, mine gave me a few issues at first (stovepipes, etc) after the initial 200 rounds and 2 cleanings issue's went away. Make sure you're using good ammo to, none of the cheap shitty russian crap, or anything steel cased, I usually use speer lawman, S&B brass, or the likes at the range and never have any issues.
I gave it just a pretty basic cleaning so I will try a more in depth cleaning tonight. And it wasn't the cheapest ammo but it wasn't the nicest either so I will be trying a few more types of ammo before I contact Ruger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First welcome from North Carolina. Is this your first semi auto 9? If so the problem may be that your grip is too loose. Commonly called limp wristing. What happens is the gun flips back and the slide does not cycle back with enough force to pick up the next round. Don't try to choke the gun to death, just try to keep a firmer grip than you have been. Also take a good look at the feed ramp. You want it to be nice and smooth with no cross ways marks or scratches. There are a lot of You Tube videos on how to polish it. Hope you get it running good I have had mine since August and love taking it out to shoot.
This is my first time owning a 9 but I have a Ruger P90 45 and never had any problems with that or any other 9s I've shot. I will take a look at those videos online for the feed ramp. I love the feel of the gun and love how it shoots when it shoots. Thanks for the advise everyone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I gave it just a pretty basic cleaning so I will try a more in depth cleaning tonight. And it wasn't the cheapest ammo but it wasn't the nicest either so I will be trying a few more types of ammo before I contact Ruger.
Yeah pay special attention the striker and striker channel, Ruger packs alot of thick grease into there and it gums it up pretty bad causing the striker to have issues. You'll find that many have some small issues with the SR9C out of the box but they usually clear up pretty fast (at least I found when I got mine anyways) If after 300-400 rounds and everything else you still have issues definately give Ruger a call, I hear their service is pretty awesome!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Make sure you clean the striker & striker channel, the video's on the Ruger website are pretty good at walking you through what to do and how to do it (select the the SR9c Product Page and then click on the "Extras" TAB)

If you really want to tear it down & clean it, Galloway Precision has a really good video on their website called "SR9/40/9c/40c detail strip", but that's probably more than you need to do to fix the issues you're having

1 - 10 of 10 Posts