Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my fourth ruger of the year. Sr9c. Had to special order it because they're nonexistent in the stores. Very happy mine finally showed up.

Full clean from the factory removing all the gunk they ship with. Head to the range with five different types of ammo to try.

So. Consistently. With all types of ammo I brought it 70% of the time won't chamber the first round. Downy matter if the slide is open and slung forward or if I start with a closed slide and rack it. It picks up a round but gets stuck a quarter inch from home. Second issue is that out of 200 rounds fired the slide only held open twice.

Do I have a lemon?

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Congrats on the SR9c, I really like mine.
Did you try both magazines it came with/is the slide not locking back on the last round happen with both mags? This sounds like a magazine issue but sometimes happens on a new gun till everything gets broken in.

Also, with the slide not going all the way into battery, I have found that with a new gun, somtimes people don't let the slide slam all the way home, they kinda ease it forward. Other than the 1st round not fully seating, did it function well for the rest of the magazine till it didn't lock back?

Just a suggestion, possibly letting a very seasoned veteran give it a go & see what happens to them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Congrats on the SR9c, I really like mine.
Did you try both magazines it came with/is the slide not locking back on the last round happen with both mags? This sounds like a magazine issue but sometimes happens on a new gun till everything gets broken in.

Also, with the slide not going all the way into battery, I have found that with a new gun, somtimes people don't let the slide slam all the way home, they kinda ease it forward. Other than the 1st round not fully seating, did it function well for the rest of the magazine till it didn't lock back?

Just a suggestion, possibly letting a very seasoned veteran give it a go & see what happens to them.

Good luck!
I (a fairly new gunner) have been guilty of the issue in the second paragraph. I've found that if you truly let the slide rip forward it seats the round consistently. I also had the occasional FTFeed in the first 500 rounds or so but that seems to be history also. I love my SR9c.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I had a few FTE on my SR9c during the first 200 rounds but nothing after that. Switched to froglube and it's been a great shooter.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes same consistent results with both magazines. We did not baby the slide and had three people try with same results including one that had a sr9. Functioned fine with all rounds after first. No extraction problems. Just no hold open on last round.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Just got home from the range. Loving the SR9C!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

I'm also looking to buy an SR9C once the State Police mental health checks come thru, where did you get it and how much, if you dont mind?

I picked up my fourth ruger of the year. Sr9c. Had to special order it because they're nonexistent in the stores. Very happy mine finally showed up.

Full clean from the factory removing all the gunk they ship with. Head to the range with five different types of ammo to try.

So. Consistently. With all types of ammo I brought it 70% of the time won't chamber the first round. Downy matter if the slide is open and slung forward or if I start with a closed slide and rack it. It picks up a round but gets stuck a quarter inch from home. Second issue is that out of 200 rounds fired the slide only held open twice.

Do I have a lemon?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Being only the first round in the mag, it seems that not fully releasing as the slide is pulled back may be the issue. It doesn't seem it would be mechanical if its not happening while firing the gun. Possibly rough feed ramp, but again normal operation doesn't recreate the issue. Could also try a different ammo material and see if its any different. Copper, poly, aluminum or steel, each one may create a different outcome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had a similar issue. Keep shooting with it. It will breaking in within 5-800 rounds. You will be more accurate w it and wont see any further FTE issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a SR9C last week and put 100 rounds of Monarch steel 115gr FMJ through it with no problems at all. I LOVE THIS GUN. My boss had 2 different SR9C that bothed jammed a lot he finally just sent them back and got an LC9. I think he should have given them more time, he is missing out on an awesome gun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just bought a SR9C last week and put 100 rounds of Monarch steel 115gr FMJ through it with no problems at all. I LOVE THIS GUN. My boss had 2 different SR9C that bothed jammed a lot he finally just sent them back and got an LC9. I think he should have given them more time, he is missing out on an awesome gun.
I agree, some just need more time than others to break in and settle. After a few range days and good cleaning and lubrication, mine is a gem.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. I will work some more rounds through her.....assuming I can find ammo to buy ;)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I was wondering what kind of ammo you were putting through your SR9c. The only problem I've ever had was some feeding issues when I ran a box of Hornady Critical Defense through the gun. The truncated hollow point sometimes (not always!) would hang up on the feed ramp.

I've shot a lot of FMJ ball ammo with never a problem. I expect that if I ever stop being lazy and polish up the feed ramp with some jeweler's rouge, I could run hollow points without any FTF issues.

SR9c is a great gun.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was wondering what kind of ammo you were putting through your SR9c. The only problem I've ever had was some feeding issues when I ran a box of Hornady Critical Defense through the gun. The truncated hollow point sometimes (not always!) would hang up on the feed ramp.

I've shot a lot of FMJ ball ammo with never a problem. I expect that if I ever stop being lazy and polish up the feed ramp with some jeweler's rouge, I could run hollow points without any FTF issues.

SR9c is a great gun.
I've thrown a little bit of everything through it.

Wolf, pmc bronze, Remington jhp, Winchester wb, federal, american eagle, herter's select and remington umc. They all function fine now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought mine used and had the same problem. sent it back to the factory and they replaced the ectractor. haven't had a glich since.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a SR9 & SR9c, I like the SR9c for me it feels better in my hand and I can shoot better with it. They both work GREAT.....

·
Registered
563 Posts
I got mine early in December (before the chaos for $385 plus tax at NT Armament in the Dallas area) and have fed about 100 rounds through it without an issue.

Most of it was WWB, and some Hornady Critical Duty 135g, and Federal FMJ 115g (WM5199).

The gun was made in November - at least the spent cartridge envelope said that, and the gun and striker was clean - no grease buildup like I hear about.

OP - make sure to remove the striker and clean that as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First round not not going into battery

Could be new gun new magazine. Have you tried loading the magazine one short to see if it works. I am thinking the magazine spring is so strong that it impeding the slide. In time the spring will break in.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts